Old September 19th 03, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Stratford Eurostar station.

On 19 Sep 2003 00:06:57 -0700 William E. Aitken wrote:
} [Reasons for Stratfod above and beyond my convenience]
}
} I suspect that the main reasons that the station exists were as a stop
} for domestic trains on the CTRL,

Eh? Isn't part of the point of the CTRL that there would be no domestic
services on it?

} and to provide a London stop for NOL
} Eurostars off the WCML that does not require a St. pancras reversal.

Seems sensible. But it gives rise to another question. If Eurostar
services extend north of London how would immigration and customs be
done? To have a secured station or section of the station at every
possible destination would be expensive in infrastructure and running
costs. On the other hand while inspecting papers on train could be done
customs examination of baggage would be a pain.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.

Old September 19th 03, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew Malthouse wrote:

On 19 Sep 2003 00:06:57 -0700 William E. Aitken wrote:
} [Reasons for Stratfod above and beyond my convenience]
}
} I suspect that the main reasons that the station exists were as a stop
} for domestic trains on the CTRL,

Eh? Isn't part of the point of the CTRL that there would be no domestic
services on it?

} and to provide a London stop for NOL
} Eurostars off the WCML that does not require a St. pancras reversal.

Seems sensible. But it gives rise to another question. If Eurostar
services extend north of London how would immigration and customs be
done? To have a secured station or section of the station at every
possible destination would be expensive in infrastructure and running
costs. On the other hand while inspecting papers on train could be done
customs examination of baggage would be a pain.

Maybe restrict the destinations north of London to a few select stations
to which connections are readily available from everywhere else, e.g.
Birmingham New Street, Crewe, Manchester, Watford Junction (?),
Peterborough, Doncaster, Leeds. These would be the only stations to
then need special check-ins.

I really don't think that North of London Eurostars will be viable north
of Leeds/Manchester. Since the Eurostars will run no quicker than the
domestic trains, any increases in journey duration by passengers from
intermediate stations shouldn't be too long. In fact, on the WCML the
Pendolinos would be catching the Eurostars up once they (the Pendolinos)
start tilting.

Angus
Old September 20th 03, 12:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In addition to all the tube (and DLR) links mentioned, an
international
station at Stratford means that Eurostar passengers to/from many parts
of Essex and East Anglia do not have to go to central London to

change.

When Crossrail is built, it will mean that Eurostar passengers to/from
the west of London won't need to change in central London.

And if the proposed plan to run Eurostar services on the west coast
mainline materialises, Stratford will be the only London stop.

It'll be the new Clapham Junction.

So what will they do with the old one?

Make that into the new Waterloo.

Seriously.

Peter

Old September 20th 03, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"AstraVanMan" wrote in message
In addition to all the tube (and DLR) links mentioned, an

international
station at Stratford means that Eurostar passengers to/from many

parts
of Essex and East Anglia do not have to go to central London to

change.

When Crossrail is built, it will mean that Eurostar passengers

to/from
the west of London won't need to change in central London.

And if the proposed plan to run Eurostar services on the west coast
mainline materialises, Stratford will be the only London stop.

It'll be the new Clapham Junction.

So what will they do with the old one?

Make that into the new Waterloo.

and what would you do with the old one?

--
Mark

Old September 20th 03, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark Townend" wrote the following in:

"AstraVanMan" wrote in message
It'll be the new Clapham Junction.

So what will they do with the old one?

Make that into the new Waterloo.

and what would you do with the old one?

Make it into the new Mornington Crescent.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
If bathroom means toilet in America, I'll have a shower please.

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.

Old September 20th 03, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:12:24 +0100, Mark Townend wrote:
It'll be the new Clapham Junction.

So what will they do with the old one?

Make that into the new Waterloo.

and what would you do with the old one?

Demolish it, never been to a more dreary place.
Old September 21st 03, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Weaver
writes
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:12:24 +0100, Mark Townend wrote:
It'll be the new Clapham Junction.

So what will they do with the old one?

Make that into the new Waterloo.

and what would you do with the old one?

Demolish it, never been to a more dreary place.

You've obviously never been to Birmingham New Street then :-).
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old September 22nd 03, 12:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:31:02 +0100, Spyke wrote:
You've obviously never been to Birmingham New Street then :-).

Newstreet has shops, and no barriers stopping you from leaving.
Old September 22nd 03, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:31:02 +0100, Spyke wrote:
You've obviously never been to Birmingham New Street then :-).

Newstreet has shops, and no barriers stopping you from leaving.

If you buy a ticket there's nothing stopping you from leaving Clapham
Junction either. In fact, you should buy several tickets, seeing as you
think rail travel is far too cheap.

Old September 23rd 03, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On 18 Sep 2003 00:35:57 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

How direct? You will still need to put your ticket in/near gate
to get to/from the Jubilee line.

So? I'm sorry, but I really don't see how that matters. You still get
much more direct access to the Jubilee line.

My question is "what is more direct about it"?