Old September 17th 03, 03:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

Default Stratford Eurostar station.

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:32:56 +0000 (UTC), Matthew Malthouse
wrote:

Not quite the point. A stratford stop *adds* direct access to the other
lines.

How direct? You will still need to put your ticket in/near gate to
get to/from the Jubilee line.

Old September 17th 03, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul
Weaver writes

True, but planes still take a long time. Hour from center of london to
luton/stanstead, 2 hours at the airport, 2 hours on the plane (maybe
longon), another 30 minutes waiting for luggage, another hour waiting
for the bus and transfer to the center of rome. Already over 6 hours,
and you dont get enough time to sleep. A nice relaxed train ride gives
you room to stretch your legs, face to face meeting, mobile phone,
laptop (with power), a good nights sleep etc. Leave London at 4PM,
arrive in Milan at 10AM the next morning haveing had a relaxing
evening and a good sleep. Compare to flight - get up at 3AM, get to
airport by 4, flight leaves at 6 (UK), land at 9(CET), into middle of
milan by 10 at the earliest.

Yes, but the cheapest practical rail fares from London to Milan (2nd
class leisure return) are either 217 GBP (for a shared 2-berth sleeping
compartment) or 153 GBP for a place in a basic 6-berth couchette.

For that price I could fly British Airways from Heathrow on the 17:50 to
Milan (64 GBP return APEX) and have enough left over for a really decent
hotel in Milan rather than sleeping on a train or getting up at 3AM.
And the budget airlines are even cheaper (Ryanair is currently offering
some return flights to Milan for 2p plus taxes!).

--
Paul Terry
Old September 17th 03, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew Malthouse wrote in message ...
Just how far could one travel in the UK with a standard second class
open return costing fifty quid?

A saver return (all trains except peak ones, 30 day time limit) London
to Manchester, about 200 miles, is around that price
Old September 17th 03, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 16 Sep 2003 15:37:09 -0700, (Paul Weaver)
wrote:

Often wondered about similar routes - the transpennine from manchester
to liverpool stops at oxford road as well as piccadilly. If anything
it should stop at deansgate, a metrolink interchange (saving 20
minutes off a journey to altrincham or eccles from liverpool or
warrington).

A cynic might say it'd make more sense to stop all trains using the
link line (or whatever it's called) at all three stations, as most of
them end up stopping at Deansgate for a signal check anyway...

I suspect, though, that the theory is that Oxford Road has 5 platforms
and Deansgate 2, so there's more room to take up slack in the event of
delays - and Oxford Road is closer to much of the city centre and of
course the Uni (as well as being the interchange for the busy (1)42/3
bus route).

Also, it's not a huge walk from Oxford Road to St Peter's Square
Metrolink if you want to use the tram (though it's not a proper
interchange, I agree).

As an aside, at one point, I believe there was talk of building a
Cornbrook Interchange station on the main line for Metrolink - but
that seems to have died a death.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old September 17th 03, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:21:15 +0100 K wrote:
} On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:32:56 +0000 (UTC), Matthew Malthouse
} wrote:
}
}
}
} Not quite the point. A stratford stop *adds* direct access to the other
} lines.
}
} How direct? You will still need to put your ticket in/near gate to
} get to/from the Jubilee line.

Indeed. But that's not something you could do at StP.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.

Old September 18th 03, 12:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew Malthouse wrote:

There is also an extention to the DLR that will provide dual platforms
at the extsiting Stratford and a new terminus at the International
station.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/developmen...d/stations.htm

Matthew

Looking at the maps, would option 2 (which seems like a wholly new DLR
route to Stratford) mean abandonment of the current DLR line to
Stratford, or would there then be 2 ways to get there via different
routes? I'm not from the area but thats how the map reads to me. Option
1 looks like an extension to the current layout.

Steve

Old September 18th 03, 12:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Not quite the point. A stratford stop *adds* direct access to the
other lines.

How direct? You will still need to put your ticket in/near gate
to get to/from the Jubilee line.

So? I'm sorry, but I really don't see how that matters. You still get
much more direct access to the Jubilee line.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
If bathroom means toilet in America, I'll have a shower please.

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old September 18th 03, 12:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Not quite the point. A stratford stop *adds* direct access to the other
lines.

How direct? You will still need to put your ticket in/near gate to
get to/from the Jubilee line.

So? You will also have to put your ticket in a gate to get to the tube from
St Pancras.

Peter Smyth

Old September 18th 03, 06:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In addition to all the tube (and DLR) links mentioned, an international
station at Stratford means that Eurostar passengers to/from many parts
of Essex and East Anglia do not have to go to central London to change.

When Crossrail is built, it will mean that Eurostar passengers to/from
the west of London won't need to change in central London.

And if the proposed plan to run Eurostar services on the west coast
mainline materialises, Stratford will be the only London stop.

It'll be the new Clapham Junction.

Peter

Old September 18th 03, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:16:34 +0100 Steve M wrote:
} Matthew Malthouse wrote:
}
}
}
} There is also an extention to the DLR that will provide dual platforms
} at the extsiting Stratford and a new terminus at the International
} station.
}
} http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/developmen...d/stations.htm
}
} Matthew
}
} Looking at the maps, would option 2 (which seems like a wholly new DLR
} route to Stratford) mean abandonment of the current DLR line to
} Stratford, or would there then be 2 ways to get there via different
} routes? I'm not from the area but thats how the map reads to me. Option
} 1 looks like an extension to the current layout.

It's all rather lacking in detail but it seems that the prefered option
2 would use the North London Line corridor from Custom House to
Stratford as DLR thsu providing a direct link between Startfor
International and London City Airport.

Nothing on the site suggests the abandonment of the Stratford to Poplar
branch and indeed that would seem foolish as it's a direct link to
Canary Wharf and very busy mcuh of the time. However foolish transport
decsisions are not entirely unknown.

What happens to the North London Line as a concequence of building DLR
option 2 is not stated.

Matthew