Old November 19th 08, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster PAYG on rail to the edge of zone

Yet another Oyster question (which will hopefully make sense, as I
know my subject line isn't clear!).

Suppose I've been using Oyster PAYG and have hit the daily cap. I then
decide to leave London by train from Liverpool St to, say, Harlow
Town. That rail journey is £9.40. But in theory, I can use Oyster PAYG
between Liverpool St and Tottenham Hale, then a rail ticket from there
to Harlow (£7.10). I can buy that rail ticket at Liverpool St if I'm
particularly keen.

But is there any way of doing this without having to get off the train
at Tottenham Hale and touch out on the Oyster? Otherwise I'll have an
unresolved journey, won't I?

Sam

Old November 19th 08, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Nov, 14:14, wrote:
Yet another Oyster question (which will hopefully make sense, as I
know my subject line isn't clear!).

Suppose I've been using Oyster PAYG and have hit the daily cap. I then
decide to leave London by train from Liverpool St to, say, Harlow
Town. That rail journey is £9.40. But in theory, I can use Oyster PAYG
between Liverpool St and Tottenham Hale, then a rail ticket from there
to Harlow (£7.10). I can buy that rail ticket at Liverpool St if I'm
particularly keen.

But is there any way of doing this without having to get off the train
at Tottenham Hale and touch out on the Oyster? Otherwise I'll have an
unresolved journey, won't I?

There isn't another way. You will have to touch out at Tottenham Hale
to avoid an unresolved journey.
Old November 19th 08, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 19 Nov, 14:14, wrote:
Yet another Oyster question (which will hopefully make sense, as I
know my subject line isn't clear!).

Suppose I've been using Oyster PAYG and have hit the daily cap. I then
decide to leave London by train from Liverpool St to, say, Harlow
Town. That rail journey is £9.40. But in theory, I can use Oyster PAYG
between Liverpool St and Tottenham Hale, then a rail ticket from there
to Harlow (£7.10). I can buy that rail ticket at Liverpool St if I'm
particularly keen.

But is there any way of doing this without having to get off the train
at Tottenham Hale and touch out on the Oyster? Otherwise I'll have an
unresolved journey, won't I?

Sam

It's a general problem which is going to get worse as PAYG is
extended, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in resolving it
(eg readers on trains, extension tickets at Oyster prices etc).

In this case, the difference is probably 30p for most of the day
though.
Old November 19th 08, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Nov, 14:14, wrote:
But is there any way of doing this without having to get off the train
at Tottenham Hale and touch out on the Oyster? Otherwise I'll have an
unresolved journey, won't I?

Can't be done - you can't combine Oyster PAYG with other ticket types
without breaking your journey, essentially.

(If you're feeling cheeky before you board the train you can touch an
intermediate validator in a behind-barrier interchange. Then you're
touched in if a ticket inspector checks but don't get an unresolved
journey when you leave the system. There isn't a way to do this at
Liverpool Street, however)

Old November 19th 08, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Nov, 15:02, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 19 Nov, 14:14, wrote:
But is there any way of doing this without having to get off the train
at Tottenham Hale and touch out on the Oyster? Otherwise I'll have an
unresolved journey, won't I?

Can't be done - you can't combine Oyster PAYG with other ticket types
without breaking your journey, essentially.

Thanks for all the replies - no doubt that it can't be done. In this
case, I would have saved £2.30 because my Oyster had already reached
the daily cap for Z1-4. (Or, I suppose, I could have taken the
Underground to Tottenham Hale and begun my train journey there - it
was just that I happened to be at Liverpool St ready to leave London.)

(If you're feeling cheeky before you board the train you can touch an
intermediate validator in a behind-barrier interchange. Then you're
touched in if a ticket inspector checks but don't get an unresolved
journey when you leave the system. There isn't a way to do this at
Liverpool Street, however)

I did wonder whether I could touch-in at the Liverpool St gatelines,
and then just leave the journey unresolved as it was the last journey
I intended to make that day. But would that have caused me problems
next time I came to London (or, indeed, would it have eventually
resulted in a maximum fare being retrospectively applied to my
balance)?

Thanks,
Sam

Old November 19th 08, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 Nov, 16:37, wrote:
I did wonder whether I could touch-in at the Liverpool St gatelines,
and then just leave the journey unresolved as it was the last journey
I intended to make that day.

You get charged £4 when you touch in, even if you've already reached
your cap. This gets reverted to zero when you touch out. The
intermediate validator trick works because it refunds the £4 without
marking you as having touched out.

The way to do it on your journey would be to take the Central Line to
Stratford, touch one of the validators on the platform and take the
direct Stratford-Stansted service to Harlow. You will be defrauding
NXEA of the Stratford-Tottenham fare, of course.

Old November 19th 08, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Matthew Dickinson" wrote...
But is there any way of doing this without having to get off the
train at Tottenham Hale and touch out on the Oyster? Otherwise
I'll have an unresolved journey, won't I?

There isn't another way. You will have to touch out at
Tottenham Hale to avoid an unresolved journey.

So have an unresolved jouney ... it's the last of the day, and you've
already reached the limit ... so it shouldn't hurt you, should it?
--
Andrew

"When 'Do no Evil' has been understood, then learn the harder, braver rule,
Do Good." ~ Arthur Guiterman

Old November 19th 08, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 19 Nov, 17:07, Mr Thant
wrote:
On 19 Nov, 16:37, wrote:

I did wonder whether I could touch-in at the Liverpool St gatelines,
and then just leave the journey unresolved as it was the last journey
I intended to make that day.

You get charged £4 when you touch in, even if you've already reached
your cap. This gets reverted to zero when you touch out. The
intermediate validator trick works because it refunds the £4 without
marking you as having touched out.

The way to do it on your journey would be to take the Central Line to
Stratford, touch one of the validators on the platform and take the
direct Stratford-Stansted service to Harlow. You will be defrauding
NXEA of the Stratford-Tottenham fare, of course.

It shouldn't be anything to do with fraud. It ought to be possible to
get the appropriate fare without doing ridiculous things like getting
off during the journey, particularly if the service is infrequent.
This is only going to get worse and I don't understand why it isn't
being addressed.
Old November 19th 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrew Heenan" wrote in message
"Matthew Dickinson" wrote...
But is there any way of doing this without having to get off the
train at Tottenham Hale and touch out on the Oyster? Otherwise
I'll have an unresolved journey, won't I?

There isn't another way. You will have to touch out at
Tottenham Hale to avoid an unresolved journey.

So have an unresolved jouney ... it's the last of the day, and you've
already reached the limit ... so it shouldn't hurt you, should it?

Definitely wrong - unresolved journeys don't count towards capping, so each
one adds £4, or £5 in the case of some NR routes.

Paul S

Old November 19th 08, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote ...
"Andrew Heenan" wrote in message
So have an unresolved jouney ... it's the last of the day, and you've
already reached the limit ... so it shouldn't hurt you, should it?

Definitely wrong - unresolved journeys don't count towards capping, so
each one adds £4, or £5 in the case of some NR routes.

Ah well, can't win 'em all!