Old December 7th 08, 09:28 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Default Buses waiting time and blocking the road

francis wrote:
On Dec 6, 10:43 am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Clive wrote:

[About Hansen]

You are either a fruit cake or a cyclist, hang on, you could be both.

bing Hansen is both, he also considers himself to be an authority on
environmental issues. So now you know what sort of fruitcakes Friends of
the Earth are.

Hansen posts as if he is an expert on everything, but then goes on to
deny that he is an expert.

When his errors are pointed out to him, he replies with something
along the line of "ah insults"

Francis

Well, an expert *is* a person who knows more and more about less and less!

--
Moving things in still pictures!

Old December 24th 08, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
On 4 Dec, 21:07, Peter Heather wrote:
On Dec 4, 3:11 pm, David Hansen
wrote: On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 06:50:32 -0800 (PST) someone who may be
wrote this:-
I dont know if it is related to the economic situation but recently I
have found that a lot more buses are waiting time at bus stops. Is
this strictly speaking legal.
Yes.

Actually, the answer could well be NO. It depends on the wording in
the traffic order, assuming that there is an order in force and that
there are yellow or red lines on the road at that point. Some, but not
all, traffic orders state that a bus can stop to pick up or set down
passengers at a stop, but there could well be no provision to wait at
that point beyond doing so. Also, if there is no reference to a bus
stop in the order, then a bus has no more right than any other vehicle
to wait on a restricted stretch of road. I've known over-enthusiastic
parking attendants in at least one nameless Inner London borough to
ticket buses while they stood at a stop with no passengers in sight.

Almost every day I see at least one bus "broken down" at a bus stop,
doors closed, driver reading the paper, hazards flashing away.

Buses must be very unreliable

They probably don't get the maintenance they used to or need. As I've
said, one Stagecoach bus not too far away from here got into the paper
not too long ago since it set on fire and all the passengers had to make
a very quick exit.

--
John Wright

I used to drive a car a lot also. Duhg Bollen.

It didn't happen. The whole thing was fabricated in a movie studio by
Jewish film directors using realistic dummies to gain international
sympathy and thus grab and retain a chunk of Arab territory and
accumulate weapons of mass destruction with help from a complicit US.
Duhg Bollens view of the Holocaust.

Duhg Bollen promised a report on how Vince can reduce his carbon
emissions by moving in November 2007. We're still waiting.
Old December 24th 08, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

Depresion wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 20:37:40 +0000 someone who may be ŽiŠardo
wrote this:-

Some cities have even deliberately filled in bus lay-bys

Correct.

just to make congestion worse,

Incorrect.

There are a number of reasons for exterminating bus laybys, from
widening a former narrow part of the pavement, through allowing the
driver to pull away as soon as everyone is off/on to making sure bus
and bus boarder align in order to make life easier for everyone

Incorrect, it makes life easier for the few people who drive buses and screws
up traffic for far more people.

Absolutely. I can think of one bus stop between RAF Halton and Wendover
which is absolutely adjacent to a traffic island. If a bus stops there,
any other traffic has to wait till it moves. If that's not causing
congestion I don't know what is.

Old December 24th 08, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John Wright wrote:

Absolutely. I can think of one bus stop between RAF Halton and
Wendover which is absolutely adjacent to a traffic island. If a bus
stops there, any other traffic has to wait till it moves. If that's
not causing congestion I don't know what is.

I think all of the bus stops in Claremont Rd NW2 are like this. There are no
real opportunities between stops to overtake a moving bus either.

Old December 24th 08, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

David Hansen wrote:
On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:29:15 -0000 someone who may be "Depresion"
127.0.0.1 wrote this:-

Bus companies don't have the right to build laybys wherever they need a
stop and on many routes there wouldn't be any place to put them , or
alternative locations to use

Then they don't get to stop and traffic can flow again. Good solution.

(Motor) traffic is stopped by many things. The greatest cause of
delays to traffic is motorists in cars. There are so many of them
that they clog roads in towns. After that delays are caused by
things like road junctions, though these are really a manifestation
of too many motorists.

There are two ways to solve congestion. The first way to do this
only works for a while, knock everything down and expand into the
countryside. Where this has been tried it has only worked for a
while before congestion rose again. Los Angeles is a good example.

The second way works in the long term. Transfer some of the trips to
walking, cycling and public transport. One of the ways to do this is
to make buses more attractive. One of the ways of making buses more
attractive is by filling in laybys and installing better stops and
bus boarders in the space the layby used to take up. Not only does
it work but it is better for everyone, despite the whining of a
small but vocal minority.

Buses are subject to traffic in all the ways other traffic is. If
traffic is delayed, so are buses. If you delay cars, you delay buses also.

I still think the worst delays to buses is the insane idea of one person
buses. It may cut costs but it slows the whole job down unless you have
an Oyster card or pre-pay system or similar. (They're not found in too
many parts of the country to date.)

Old December 25th 08, 07:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
Buses must be very unreliable

Not quite.
It's the bureaucratic rules.

If the door alarm won#'t shut up, if the ramp won't work, if anything isn't
'perfect', then the bus has to go out of service.

And if it's a major problem, it's more visible, as it sits for hours waiting
for the company's contract tow truck - gone are the days when the nearest
garage could retrieve a broken bus.

Just one of the prices we have to pay for a privatised service.
--

Andrew

Interviewer: Tonight I'm interviewing that famous nurse, Florence
Nightingale
Tommy Cooper (dressed as a nurse): Sir Florence Nightingale
Interviewer: *Sir* Florence Nightingale?
Tommy Cooper: I'm a Night Nurse

Campaign For The Real Tommy Cooper

Old December 25th 08, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
John Wright wrote:

Absolutely. I can think of one bus stop between RAF Halton and
Wendover which is absolutely adjacent to a traffic island. If a bus
stops there, any other traffic has to wait till it moves. If that's
not causing congestion I don't know what is.

I think all of the bus stops in Claremont Rd NW2 are like this. There are
no real opportunities between stops to overtake a moving bus either.

Not a problem. Cars proceed along the road at the same rate as the bus.

Old December 25th 08, 12:46 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

"Ian" typed

John Wright wrote:

Absolutely. I can think of one bus stop between RAF Halton and
Wendover which is absolutely adjacent to a traffic island. If a bus
stops there, any other traffic has to wait till it moves. If that's
not causing congestion I don't know what is.

I think all of the bus stops in Claremont Rd NW2 are like this. There are
no real opportunities between stops to overtake a moving bus either.

Not a problem. Cars proceed along the road at the same rate as the bus.

Indeed. I don't think it's wide enough for a car to overtake a bus
(safely) anyway.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old December 25th 08, 12:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Andrew Heenan" typed

Paul Weaver wrote:
Buses must be very unreliable

Not quite.
It's the bureaucratic rules.

If the door alarm won#'t shut up, if the ramp won't work, if anything isn't
'perfect', then the bus has to go out of service.

Don't kid yourself. The ramps don't work in almost half the buses I try
to use and they're never taken out of service for that reason IME.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old December 26th 08, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london

John Wright wrote:

Absolutely. I can think of one bus stop between RAF Halton and
Wendover which is absolutely adjacent to a traffic island. If a bus
stops there, any other traffic has to wait till it moves. If that's
not causing congestion I don't know what is.

I think all of the bus stops in Claremont Rd NW2 are like this. There are
no real opportunities between stops to overtake a moving bus either.

Not a problem. Cars proceed along the road at the same rate as the bus.

Yes it is a problem. If the bus stops were positioned properly in laybys
then cars would be able to proceed at the speed limit and would not *need*
to proceed at the slower speed of the bus (ie eventually reaching the speed
limit and then stopping for a long tiem while the driver takes passengers'
money).