Old September 20th 03, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A welcome home

I've been in San Francisco for ten days.

My first journey back in the UK - journey disturbed by a busker who
got on at Boston Manor - I made a sarky comment and he buggered off
without paying - and then a "homeless, £3.50 for accommodation, it's
not for beer, honest" type on the Connex train ex Charing Cross.

I think I'll go back to a civilised transport system - $1.25 for 90
minutes (2 changes), $45 for a whole month... and no annoying people
on the trains...

--
James Farrar |
London SE 13 |

Old September 22nd 03, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I remember feeling mortified returning back to London with some German
friends after spending two weeks in Munich. They were shocked just how
expensive the Stanstead "Express" was (and not impressed that one carriage
was covered in vomit). Then we transferred to the (delayed) Circle line,
which turned up covered in graffiti and full of litter. It certainly does
make you question how the 4th richest country in the world has a capital
city like this ...

Old September 22nd 03, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I visited San Francisco earlier this year for the first time. I was
accosted by more pan-handlers, beggars and drunks in central SF in
one day than I would be in central London in a month. And the homeless
situation seems to be far, far worse in SF - or perhaps I'm just
oblivious to it in London.

RJ

Old September 22nd 03, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:51:50 +0100, "Ed Crowley"
wrote:

I remember feeling mortified returning back to London with some German
friends after spending two weeks in Munich. They were shocked just how
expensive the Stanstead "Express" was (and not impressed that one carriage
was covered in vomit). Then we transferred to the (delayed) Circle line,
which turned up covered in graffiti and full of litter. It certainly does
make you question how the 4th richest country in the world has a capital
city like this ...

MX of Munich (and Bavaria in general) is that it's refreshingly
graffiti-free, just like the North West of England as compared with
London (though it's getting worse). However, go to Hamburg and
there's hardly a surface (including trains, often inside as well)
where it is not found.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old September 23rd 03, 02:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Ed Crowley
), in message
who said:
I remember feeling mortified returning back to London with some German
friends after spending two weeks in Munich. They were shocked just
how expensive the Stanstead "Express" was (and not impressed that one
carriage was covered in vomit). Then we transferred to the (delayed)
Circle line, which turned up covered in graffiti and full of litter.
It certainly does make you question how the 4th richest country in
the world has a capital city like this ...

Because this country offers incentives for plebs to breed and the sector of
society reproducing at the highest rate is the sector least capable of
raising new civilised human beings.

BTN

Welcome to LondonBanter kevin About LondonBanter 1 May 11th 11 01:46 PM
I, for one, welcome our new newt-loving overlord Mizter T London Transport 23 November 14th 07 08:18 PM
Worst Welcome MaxB London Transport 15 March 14th 06 09:57 AM
'Welcome to Oyster Pre Pay' email from TfL Jason London Transport 2 January 16th 04 03:26 PM