Old January 15th 09, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travel to London

Friends want to go to an Embassy in Queensgate from East Sussex but want to
take the car to a railway station just outside London and then catch overland
train into London then tube to Gloucester Road. Can anyone suggest somewhere
suitable to leave the car, either (cheap!) car park or quiet road not far from
a station? They're thinking perhaps Croydon or near? TIA

Old January 15th 09, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Will" wrote in message
net...
Friends want to go to an Embassy in Queensgate from East Sussex but want
take the car to a railway station just outside London and then catch
overland
train into London then tube to Gloucester Road. Can anyone suggest
somewhere
suitable to leave the car, either (cheap!) car park or quiet road not far
from
a station? They're thinking perhaps Croydon or near? TIA

You're not going to find reasonable "all day" parking in Croydon, and the
roads are pretty clogged up in the morning.

You're going to have to look further out, Purely perhaps, or Caterham (I'm
outside my area of knowledge now!)

tim

Old January 15th 09, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:46:03 on Thu, 15
Jan 2009, tim..... remarked:
somewhere suitable to leave the car, either (cheap!) car park or
quiet road not far from a station? They're thinking perhaps Croydon
or near? TIA

You're not going to find reasonable "all day" parking in Croydon, and the
roads are pretty clogged up in the morning.

Yes, I was going to say that I don't ever recall anyone mentioning
"Croydon" and "Quiet" in the same sentence.
Old January 15th 09, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Will
writes
Friends want to go to an Embassy in Queensgate from East Sussex but want to
take the car to a railway station just outside London and then catch overland
train into London then tube to Gloucester Road. Can anyone suggest somewhere
suitable to leave the car, either (cheap!) car park or quiet road not far from
a station? They're thinking perhaps Croydon or near? TIA

It all depends where in East Sussex you're coming from.

One of the best ways would be to go to Haywards Heath where there is a
large car park and then take a train from there direct to Victoria - and
then take a taxi to Queensgate!

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old January 15th 09, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Jan, 16:46, "tim....." wrote:

"Will" wrote in message

Friends want to go to an Embassy in Queensgate from East Sussex
but want want to take the car to a railway station just outside London
and then catch overland train into London then tube to Gloucester Road.
Can anyone suggest somewhere suitable to leave the car, either (cheap!)
car park or quiet road not far from a station? *They're thinking perhaps
Croydon or near? *TIA

You're not going to find reasonable "all day" parking in Croydon, and the
roads are pretty clogged up in the morning.

You're going to have to look further out, Purely perhaps, or Caterham (I'm
outside my area of knowledge now!)

Much the same as my thoughts, I'm quite sure there is somewhere that
fits the bill in terms of on-street parking, but I'm not sure where
that somewhere will be! There are of course more and more roads that
are now subject to parking restrictions, and obviously this is more
likely nearer stations. The other thing is define "not far from a
station"... my value of 'not too far' might well stretch to a ten
minute walk.

Sorry, that's not really very much help to you!

Old January 15th 09, 06:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Jan, 19:08, Mike Hughes wrote:

In message , Will
writes:
Friends want to go to an Embassy in Queensgate from East Sussex but want to
take the car to a railway station just outside London and then catch overland
train into London then tube to Gloucester Road. Can anyone suggest somewhere
suitable to leave the car, either (cheap!) car park or quiet road not far from
a station? *They're thinking perhaps Croydon or near? *TIA

It all depends where in East Sussex you're coming from.

Quite.

One of the best ways would be to go to Haywards Heath where there is a
large car park and then take a train from there direct to Victoria - and
then take a taxi to Queensgate.

Making sure you leave the cabbie a nice tip ;-)

But as to your substantive point then yeah, if you can do something
like go to Haywards Heath as opposed to messing around with getting
into London then that would strike me as the preferable option.
Old January 15th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for the replies so far. The friends are leaving from Polegate ('twixt
Hasting and Eastbourne) area. Looking at the map, there's a station at
Sanderstead (which would take them to Victoria) that looks a possibility --
anyone know that area? Any idea too of the taxi fare from Victoria station to
Queen's Gate (2.5 miles, apparently)? TIA

Old January 15th 09, 09:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Will" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies so far. The friends are leaving from Polegate
('twixt
Hasting and Eastbourne) area. Looking at the map, there's a station at
Sanderstead (which would take them to Victoria) that looks a
possibility --
anyone know that area? Any idea too of the taxi fare from Victoria
station to
Queen's Gate (2.5 miles, apparently)? TIA

So why don't they just catch the train from Polegate to Victoria (every
30 mins). I don't see the point of driving to some random station on the
outskirts of London and then getting the train from there.

Peter Smyth

Old January 15th 09, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for further replies. Perhaps I should have pointed out that
there's four of them and that they're travelling at peak time (to arrive
at Queen's Gate at 9-9.30am for a visa application) so part-drive seemed
to them to be the cheaper option. Perhaps, though, I should look up
rail advance booking for them instead.

In article ,
says...

Old January 16th 09, 12:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Will" wrote in message
Thanks for further replies. Perhaps I should have pointed out that
there's four of them and that they're travelling at peak time (to arrive
at Queen's Gate at 9-9.30am for a visa application) so part-drive seemed
to them to be the cheaper option. Perhaps, though, I should look up
rail advance booking for them instead.

There are no Advanced discounts for ex-Southern region stations to London in
the morning peak.

I suppose that you might be able to find one to somewhere beyond that is
cheaper than the London fare.

tim