London Banter

-   -   King's Cross entrance to Underground to close (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/7497-kings-cross-entrance-underground-close.html)

Roland Perry January 26th 09 02:01 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
06:19:57 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
But when they did a study of the passenger flows at the revamped
station, one of the major issues was congestion at the platform-end
exits, when it was raining. This seems to assume that most passengers
would be heading across the new open air plaza, maybe to the bus stops,
or the current "outdoor" entrance to the tube - especially if heading
for the Circle Line I think.

Interesting. Did anything come of these findings, i.e. modifications
to the design?

Don't know. Sorry.

Mizter T January 26th 09 02:12 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

On 26 Jan, 14:51, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
06:11:37 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:

(snip)

The whole main shed is airside.
The whole design does seem to be based on the majority of passengers
being sent outdoors as soon as they arrive, which is bonkers.

I'm trying to think of other stations that employ a similar
arrangement but can't. Is this whole western concourse scheme a bit
wonky then?

We are looking for stations with not much between the barrier line and
the outside world. Luton Airport Parkway's a bit like that. Or slightly
more extreme: Loughborough, where the exit from the barriers is straight
into the open carpark.

Looking for a bit more than that - a station where alighting long-
distance passengers are funnelled off the platforms one way almost
straight on to the street whilst departing passengers reach the
platforms from the concourse via another way.

Mizter T January 26th 09 02:19 PM

On 26 Jan, 15:01, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
06:19:57 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:

But when they did a study of the passenger flows at the revamped
station, one of the major issues was congestion at the platform-end
exits, when it was raining. This seems to assume that most passengers
would be heading across the new open air plaza, maybe to the bus stops,
or the current "outdoor" entrance to the tube - especially if heading
for the Circle Line I think.

Interesting. Did anything come of these findings, i.e. modifications
to the design?

Don't know. Sorry.

Perhaps it simply exposed a fundamental weakness in the basic design,
one which can only be mitigated against rather than being 'designed
out'. I was interested to read Mr Thant's take on this upthread, which
is that it was perhaps a bit '"bonkers"!

John B January 26th 09 02:54 PM

On Jan 26, 3:12*pm, Mizter T wrote:
Looking for a bit more than that - a station where alighting long-
distance passengers are funnelled off the platforms one way almost
straight on to the street whilst departing passengers reach the
platforms from the concourse via another way.

Waterloo International wasn't far off...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

[email protected] January 26th 09 03:05 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

Not content with messing everyone around who has the misfortune to use
St. Pancras mainline station, banishing us to a windy B& Q style shed
half a mile up the line, they now want to make King's Cross almost
impossible to use. Bloody unbelievable!

Of course people coming off a train after a long journey don't want to
use stairs, or walk around complicated paths to get to the new
"Western concourse", either covered or in the rain! What on Earth
purpose will that huge open area which is replacing the currenr
concourse serve? Is is so that we can have pro-Palestinian
demonstrations there? Is it for people to sunbathe on the 2 days a
year we have enough sunshine to justify it?

I really cannot believe these "designers" live on the same planet as
the rest of us, let alone ever actually use public transport!

Marc.

Mizter T January 26th 09 03:05 PM

On 26 Jan, 15:54, John B wrote:

On Jan 26, 3:12*pm, Mizter T wrote:

Looking for a bit more than that - a station where alighting long-
distance passengers are funnelled off the platforms one way almost
straight on to the street whilst departing passengers reach the
platforms from the concourse via another way.

Waterloo International wasn't far off...

I suppose you've a point there. The passageway out of departures up to
the lower/ international concourse (and thence the main Waterloo
concourse) was fairly wide though, and there was a further passageway
underneath the international station that gave access to both the main
Tube station concourse and also an alternative way to get to the
international concourse. I wonder how many arriving tourists realised
just how close they were to the Eye, Westminster Bridge, Big Ben and
all that.

Roland Perry January 26th 09 03:09 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
07:12:49 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
We are looking for stations with not much between the barrier line and
the outside world. Luton Airport Parkway's a bit like that. Or slightly
more extreme: Loughborough, where the exit from the barriers is straight
into the open carpark.

Looking for a bit more than that - a station where alighting long-
distance passengers are funnelled off the platforms one way almost
straight on to the street

Like the ones I mentioned above

whilst departing passengers reach the platforms from the concourse via
another way.

Not sure why this is a necessary parameter. Don't we just want ones
where departing passengers are dumped in the rain?

Roland Perry January 26th 09 03:10 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

In message
, at
07:54:06 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, John B remarked:
Looking for a bit more than that - a station where alighting long-
distance passengers are funnelled off the platforms one way almost
straight on to the street whilst departing passengers reach the
platforms from the concourse via another way.

Waterloo International wasn't far off...

Close to *a* street, perhaps, but all indoors; so no danger of getting
rained on while heading for the tube.

Mizter T January 26th 09 03:27 PM

On 26 Jan, 16:09, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
07:12:49 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:

We are looking for stations with not much between the barrier line and
the outside world. Luton Airport Parkway's a bit like that. Or slightly
more extreme: Loughborough, where the exit from the barriers is straight
into the open carpark.

Looking for a bit more than that - a station where alighting long-
distance passengers are funnelled off the platforms one way almost
straight on to the street

Like the ones I mentioned above

whilst departing passengers reach the platforms from the concourse via
another way.

Not sure why this is a necessary parameter. Don't we just want ones
where departing passengers are dumped in the rain?

Yeah, you're right. Getting dumped in the rain is the crux of it.

Paul Scott January 26th 09 04:14 PM

King's Cross entrance to Underground to close

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
, at
02:49:10 on Mon, 26 Jan 2009, John B remarked:

Eh? The new footbridge to the new western concourse will be the
primary exit route to the Tube, St Pancras, etc. The exit to the south
where the current concourse is will only be for people exiting into
the local area.

My understanding is that the bridge is only for passengers going *to* the
trains.

Correct, as we discussed a while back with reference to some 'flow diagrams'
in some report or other that I can't find again. As usual...

IIRC it won't be the primary route for anything, it just seems to be a
second access route to the platforms for pax who have been using the
catering facilities at first floor level...

Paul S