Old February 2nd 09, 12:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default All TfL buses suspended due to snow

All TfL bus services have been suspended due to the snow.

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

Old February 2nd 09, 12:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew Dickinson wrote:
All TfL bus services have been suspended due to the snow.

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

BBC News have just been interviewing a BBC employee who's walking home
from the West End. There are loads of people stranded in Central London
and having to walk home. He was 3 miles into a 5 mile walk.

Why can't they run buses, I got home from central london late tonight by
private cab and the main routes were no problem at all.
Old February 2nd 09, 12:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Stuart wrote:
Matthew Dickinson wrote:
All TfL bus services have been suspended due to the snow.

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

BBC News have just been interviewing a BBC employee who's walking home
from the West End. There are loads of people stranded in Central
London and having to walk home. He was 3 miles into a 5 mile walk.

Why can't they run buses, I got home from central london late tonight
by private cab and the main routes were no problem at all.

What time? Cricklewood Broadway was covered in snow at 11pm - the salt
seemed to have drained away.

Old February 2nd 09, 01:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Stuart wrote:

Why can't they run buses, I got home from central london late tonight
by private cab and the main routes were no problem at all.

What time? Cricklewood Broadway was covered in snow at 11pm - the salt
seemed to have drained away.

About 11. The main routes we went up were fine, gritted and drivable,
albeit slow.
Old February 2nd 09, 04:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Matthew Dickinson wrote in
:

All TfL bus services have been suspended due to the snow.

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

I'm fairly certain it happened in 1979 when I had to walk back from Camden
Town to Stoke Newington one evening

Old February 2nd 09, 05:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 01:38:14 +0000, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

It didn't happen when Milton Keynes Council made the gritting errors a
few years ago which resulted in the entire grid system becoming an ice
rink. The timetable was given up and the buses that were out were
sliding all over the place, but a service was maintained as far as
humanly possible, and even restarted the next day, given that the
drivers themselves also had to get to/from home.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old February 2nd 09, 06:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Feb, 01:49, Stuart wrote:
Matthew Dickinson wrote:
All TfL bus services have been suspended due to the snow.

I can't remember this happening in the 70s and 80s when we had the
same levels of snowfall, so I wonder what has changed...

BBC News have just been interviewing a BBC employee who's walking home
from the West End. There are loads of people stranded in Central London
and having to walk home. He was 3 miles into a 5 mile walk.

BBC employees get a free taxi home if they finish work after 22:45 and
there's no public transport

Why can't they run buses, I got home from central london late tonight by
private cab and the main routes were no problem at all.

Bus drivers are lazy scum?
Old February 2nd 09, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

How do you know the bus drivers took the decision, surely it's highly
likely that management took the decision to avoid accidents and an
appearance in court.

I wouldn't do their job and put up with people like you.
Bus drivers are lazy scum?

Old February 2nd 09, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Feb, 05:05, Epicentre wrote:

I'm fairly certain it happened in 1979 when I had to walk back from Camden
Town to Stoke Newington one evening

Still suspended, though roads in London are perfectly passable. The
effect of this has been the closure of an awful lot of places (shops
in stations and the likes) normally staffed by lower-paid workers who
would most likely go to work by bus. The Tube is also operating very
little, probably due to staffing issues caused by same.

It's very poorly thought-out - they should really have looked at
operating what was OK rather than just cutting everything.

Neil
Old February 2nd 09, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On 2 Feb, 05:05, Epicentre wrote:

I'm fairly certain it happened in 1979 when I had to walk back from
Camden
Town to Stoke Newington one evening

Still suspended, though roads in London are perfectly passable. The
effect of this has been the closure of an awful lot of places (shops
in stations and the likes) normally staffed by lower-paid workers who
would most likely go to work by bus. The Tube is also operating very
little, probably due to staffing issues caused by same.

It's very poorly thought-out - they should really have looked at
operating what was OK rather than just cutting everything.

Neil

According to Howard Collins, COO of London Transport, buses were taken off
last night on the advice of the Met. Police (interview on LBC news)

MaxB