Old February 2nd 09, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default All TfL buses suspended due to snow

In message ,
writes

I think you'll find that there's rather more snow in London and the South
East than in Brum. In particular, the third rail network seems to be in
big trouble.

SWT are currently running almost on schedule in this part of London,
although I think their services further out have been disrupted.
--
Paul Terry

Old February 2nd 09, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Limited services have now resumed on routes 16, 36 and 73 according to
TfL.
--
Paul Terry
Old February 2nd 09, 10:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 2 Feb, 10:47, Neil Williams wrote:
On 2 Feb, 10:43, Ian Jelf wrote:

One fact *might* be staff getting to the garage, of course.

To some extent, this is somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Neil

Also bear in mind that nearly all the bus garages are in the suburbs.
It's not a question of central London being full of buses that can
stop short.
Old February 2nd 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On 2 Feb, 11:06, "Batman55" wrote:

There is also a potential problem if only some buses are running, and no
tubes and limited main line rail, that "crowd control" would become a
problem.

That it might, but there are only so many people who can physically
fit on a bus. But there aren't many travelling anyway - London is as
quiet as 8am on a Sunday.

That was my rather subtle point - it's not the people who get on that could
be a problem, it's the people who get left behind!

MaxB

Old February 2nd 09, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

BoristheSpider wrote:

How do you know the bus drivers took the decision, surely it's highly
likely that management took the decision to avoid accidents and an
appearance in court.

So basically it's the litigious society we live in. Yay for the lawyers!

Can we get a law passed that in future when there's such a risk, lawyer must
be forced to drive with all liability on them, at the risk of being
disbarred? ;-)

Old February 2nd 09, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Feb, 11:51, "Batman55" wrote:

That was my rather subtle point - it's not the people who get on that could
be a problem, it's the people who get left behind!

It's better to leave behind some than leave behind everyone, though.
And people (pedestrians and those travelling on what remained of the
Tube) seemed to be behaving sensibly this morning.

Neil

Old February 2nd 09, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:
BoristheSpider wrote:

How do you know the bus drivers took the decision, surely it's highly
likely that management took the decision to avoid accidents and an
appearance in court.

So basically it's the litigious society we live in. Yay for the lawyers!

Can we get a law passed that in future when there's such a risk, lawyer must
be forced to drive with all liability on them, at the risk of being
disbarred? ;-)

Are you sure it's not a condition of the insurance that it's void if you
drive when the police have advised you not to because of the weather
conditions? It's not so much civil litigation as criminal prosecution
I'd be worried about in those circumstances.

Anyway, the buses are starting to operate again, albeit on a tiny number
of routes:

"ALL ROUTES IN THE LONDON AREA: Most London Buses services are not
operating due to adverse weather conditions. Full services are operating
on 427 607 and RV1. Reduced services are operating on Routes 58 60 79 83
92 94 212 308 488."

Tom
Old February 2nd 09, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Barry" wrote in message
snip
Are you sure it's not a condition of the insurance that it's void if you
drive when the police have advised you not to because of the weather
conditions? It's not so much civil litigation as criminal prosecution I'd
be worried about in those circumstances.

I doubt very much if those were the circumstances. Nothing about advice from
the police on Tfl's website.

Old February 2nd 09, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Feb, 13:01, "pg123" wrote:
"Tom Barry" wrote in message

snip

Are you sure it's not a condition of the insurance that it's void if you
drive when the police have advised you not to because of the weather
conditions? *It's not so much civil litigation as criminal prosecution I'd
be worried about in those circumstances.

I doubt very much if those were the circumstances. Nothing about advice from
the police on Tfl's website.

Bloody idiots at TfL running the tube system though...for example,
rather than ruin a much needed Met line from Baker Street into the
CIty (pretty much covered, no snow except around Faringdon, other
trains running fine through there, they tried to send it out to
Watford! When those coming in fr9om out there were all failing owing
to electrical third rail pick up faults / shorting out. So what
happenerd? Yup! it failed, twixt Finchley Road & Wembley....