Old February 6th 09, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Where is the "Way Out"

Recently had to use KX (Piccadilly Line) and noticed that on both platforms
there were NO "Way Out" signs. well thats a bit of a fib really as there
were a couple, but these were in the smallest font and placed just above a
roundel that was on the wall and was VERY DIFFICULT to see. All the other
signs like "Metrpolitan/Northern etc signs were all along the platform -
just almost no sign of the "Way Out". I know the platforms are being done
up but surely the most important sign of them all should be clearly visible
to everyone!

I put this to the test when i revisited with a friend and asked him to tell
me where "Way Out" signs were on the platform as we walked from one end to
the other. We had just walked past 3 and he was still saying "cant see any
yet" and then i pointed them out.

Old February 8th 09, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 7, 1:15 am, James Farrar wrote:
Do they? The staff boxes at gatelines say "way in" and all other signage
says either "Trains" or the name(s) of the line(s) served, IIRC.

I'll have to check , I remember seeing "entrance". Maybe I'm wrong.

B2003
Old February 8th 09, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , James
Farrar writes

Good question. It used to be ubiquitous on the railways too, but some TOCs
have started using "Exit" on their signage.

To digress a little, some of the Sonias have replaced "alight here for"
with "exit for", which really grates on my ears.

We had a train driver on the Hertford to Moorgate run one morning who
talked of stations as being "Next Up".

i.e. Next up we have Finsbury Park, alight here for.......

It sounded strange at first, but after a while it sounded better than
the usual "The next station is".

--
Edward Cowling "Last Austral-B Heretic !!"

Old February 8th 09, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Feb, 20:07, wrote:
On Feb 6, 7:56 pm, "Frank Incense" wrote:

Recently had to use KX (Piccadilly Line) *and noticed that on both platforms
there were NO "Way Out" signs. *well thats a bit of a fib really as there

Anyone know why the tube uses "way out" instead of "exit" like almost
everywhere else? And why do they use "entrance" instead of "way in"?

B2003

Well It's not the station exit, it's the way to the exit, which can
lead to another 200 yards of walking in some stations
Old February 8th 09, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 8, 1:37 pm, Paul Weaver wrote:
Well It's not the station exit, it's the way to the exit, which can
lead to another 200 yards of walking in some stations

Thats why you have an arrow next to the word, which kind of gives a
clue that the exit is over there -

B2003

Old February 9th 09, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 Feb, 19:38, wrote:
On Feb 8, 1:37 pm, Paul Weaver wrote:

Well It's not the station exit, it's the way to the exit, which can
lead to another 200 yards of walking in some stations

Thats why you have an arrow next to the word, which kind of gives a
clue that the exit is over there -

But it isn't - it's over there - then up ^ the lift then over there
- then
through the barrier, and then you have to choose _which_ exit...
So the platform signage should say "Exits"

I suspect it's Victorian pedantry that's been preserved to ensure
consistency, else you'd have to change all the signs at once.
Could a second reason for keeping it be that it makes
it easier to distinguish fire exits from normal routes, especially
with all the stuff now sticking out of Tube station walls and
obstructing the signs?

Hth

Henry