Old February 17th 09, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default East London Line phase 2b to Clapham Jn is GO!

"Recliner" wrote :
3) I've been reading about this proposed "once-weekly" train from
Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth - the first question that comes to my
untrained mind is, "What in the world good is a once-weekly train
service???"

Going to church or Sunday school?

On Tuesdays?

Sunday's Sunday schools is a tad overbooked!

Old February 17th 09, 11:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:13 pm, EE507 wrote:

Sitting? Have you seen the interior layout?

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/issue...148.pdf#page=5

Man, that's a stinker. Obviously, what is going to happen, is, just
after the last train leaves, people are going to begin gathering at
EXACTLY the right places on the Clapham Junction platform where they
KNOW the door opens...

I suspect the layout choice was based on the perceived success of recent LU
tube stock, and the apparent belief in TfL that if the Overground could be
'improved to meet the standards of LU services' everyone would flock to it.
The same reasoning results in it being on the tube map. So the implication
is that passengers will be happy with tube style internal conditions, with a
vehicle capacity of 166 (with 30 odd seats) declared.

Paul

Old February 17th 09, 11:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Feb 17, 9:48*am, "Peter Masson" wrote:
wrote

My guess is, the planners knew from the get-go that 4tph
just wouldn't cut it - that that's basically a token service, and that
it is going to be jam-packed from Day One, starting at the first
station (Clapham Junction), so they took out as many seats as possible
in order to pack as many people in like sardines. *Looks like I'm
going to stick with bicycling to Canary Wharf - at lesat that way I
get a seat to sit on the whole way.

The existing SLL serevice (Victoria - London Bridge) is half-hourly with
2-coach trains, and even in the peaks most passengers get a seat. I am sure
that the ELLX phase 2b service will be well used, but I wouldn't expect it
to be jam-packed. Off-peak everyone who wants one will get a seat, with
plenty of space for bikes and buggies, while in the peaks passengers who
have to stand will, I would expect, have a reasonable space.

It won't be anything like the quickest route from Clapham Junction to Canary
Wharf (via Canada Water) or the City (via Whitechapel or walk from
Shoreditch High Street) - going via Wazterloo will be much quicker - though
the ELLX route will avoid a Zone 1 fare.

Peter

Peter, I wouldn't even begin to compare the current Victoria - London
Bridge service to the ELLX phase 2. And the Victoria - London Bridge
Service was almost NEVER used by commuters going to Canary Wharf - I
should know, because I live within walking distance of Battersea
Bridge station and so I checked it out a couple of times to get to
Canary Wharf. This was my experience: Lovely ride from Battersea
Bridge to London Bridge - always got a seat - passenger cars fairly
empty most of the way (this alone told me that it wasn't being used by
City/Canary Wharf commuters - if not, where were they???). But then I
got to London Bridge . . . . . . . a HUGE hike to the Jubilee line.
Packed to the gills. Sometimes couldn't get one first train. Stuffy
standing-up ride for two stops to get to Canada Water (where the ELLX
will meet), and then the final leg to Canary Wharf. I said, "Never
again" and took to my bicycle. Oh, and because it was a half-hourly
service, if you missed the train . . . . . well, you had to wait a
half hour for the next one (made more sense at that point to take the
next train to Victoria and then hop on a District/Circle line to
Westminster and then once again get on that jam-packed Jubilee line.
Peter, I can assure you, no banker used that Victoria - London Bridge
half-hourly service to get to the City/Canary Wharf.

As for the fastest route being to go direct into Waterloo . . . . . I
can see that being true for somebody who is already on a Waterloo-
bound train (say, he is travelling in from Esher in Surrey), then,
sure, it doesn't make sense for him to get off his Waterloo-bound
train and wait for another train (the ELLX) - that makes no sense.
But for somebody who lives around Clapham Junction, it makes more
sense to arrive in time to board the new ELLX and go direct to the
City/Canada Water. Also depends on where you work in the City. If
you work at the huge Broadgate complex, or anywhere along Bishopsgate,
the ELLX will make the most sense. Obviously, if you work near the
Bank entrance, then the Waterloo & City line might make more sense.
But most of the big banks are centered around Broadgate/Bishopsgate,
and the whole Waterloo route is a nightmare (trains slow down coming
into Waterloo, then you disembark in a huge crowd and have to stand in
a huge queue for the Waterloo & City line and it's never pleasant
being packed together like sardines like that, and then there is
another crush of people at the Bank end of things. I shudder whenever
I think about it - I did enough times to chuck it in and get on my
bicycle. Again, I'm just speaking for someone who lives near Clapham
Junction - obviously for someone living in Esher or Richmond,
bicycling in is not an option. I still think the ELLX phase 2 will be
packed full starting at Clapham Junction - the appeal of being able to
just take one train (no exhanges to other trains) - and an air-
conditioned train - all the way to either the City (Shoreditch), or
Canada Water (just 1 stop from Canary Wharf) has enormous appeal. I
think the ELLX is a wonderful gift to those of us who live near
Clapham Junction.
Old February 17th 09, 11:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote

I still think the ELLX phase 2 will be
packed full starting at Clapham Junction - the appeal of being able to
just take one train (no exhanges to other trains) - and an air-
conditioned train - all the way to either the City (Shoreditch), or
Canada Water (just 1 stop from Canary Wharf) has enormous appeal. I
think the ELLX is a wonderful gift to those of us who live near
Clapham Junction.

I'm sure it will be popular, though I still think that, except perhaps for
two or three peak trains, it won't be packed to the point of discomfort.
Though I've just done some calculations - I think you're right that it will
be as quick for a journey to Canary Wharf, starting at Clapham Junction, as
going via Waterloo, and almost as quick to the City (assuming a final
destination equidistant from Bank and Shoreditch High Street, the last bit
being done on foot).

Peter

Old February 17th 09, 03:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Feb 17, 12:27*pm, "Peter Masson" wrote:
wrote

[...]

Peter, when looked at that way, I would say that commuters would pick
the ELLX over Waterloo hands-down every time - why? - because of 2
reasons: (1) the commuter would never choose to make the unpleasant
hike at Waterloo - just makes you get hot and sweaty, and (2) once you
are on the Waterloo & City line, you are no longer on an air-
conditioned train so why get off the air-conditioned ELLX??? Also,
that unpleasant hike at Waterloo - that is also done in an unair-
conditioned environment. Also, if one is working in the City, then
one could easily take one of the many buses at Shoreditch heading
towards Broadgate/Bishopsgate - getting buses at Bank is a pain in the
rear (not enough of them - streets are too narrow) and seems to take
time. Just my thoughts as a commuter.

Old February 17th 09, 04:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Hate to keep on posting, but the more that I think about it, I think
you are partially correct - the City worker that works around Bank and
west of there will choose your Waterloo/Bank route. But any City
worker that works anywhere along the buildings along Bishopsgate (and
that's where all the tall/large buildings are, think the Broadgate
complex, that new Heron Tower monstrosity (due to be the tallest
building in London, already under construction), the "Bishopsgate
Tower" now under construction, Tower 42, etc - they are all over by
Bishopsgate - or even further east (think the Gherkin Building (the
Pineapple building), the Commercial Union building, Lloyds of London,
etc) - if you don't want to hike, then a bus down Bishopsgate sounds
appealing.
Old February 17th 09, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
() wrote:

I live within walking distance of Battersea Bridge station

Where?!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 17th 09, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 17, 5:49*pm, wrote:
In article
,

() wrote:
I live within walking distance of Battersea Bridge station

Where?!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

I just had a nice chat with Colin, and I now realise that I should
have been saying "Battersea Park station" and not "Battersea BRIDGE
station".
Old February 17th 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote in message

On 12 Feb, 16:15, "Batman55" wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote:

http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_...eleaseid=20938

Snip

Funny, whilst on a trip today from Bromley via Clapham Jn, Willesden,
Gospel
Oak and Barking (yes I am!) and back to Bromley, I wondered why they
don't
switch the SL service from London Bridge at Wandsworth Road to Olympia
(or
some sensible point along the WLL)? Solves DH problem and gives another
way
of avoiding central London.

Er, that wouldn't actually solve anything I'm afraid to say - the SLL
service is being evicted from London Bridge and is essentially being
replaced by the ELLX to Clapham Jn plus by a possible new Victoria -
Peckham Rye - Bellingham service calling at all stations (except
Battersea Park).

This problem we keep hearing about with capacity at London Bridge, yet there
is at least a 2 platform space on the SW side of the station , now occupied
by cars. Not 12 cars maybe, but why cannot this be restored?

MaxB