Old March 11th 09, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Just to keep you informed - District Line

On the District Line today, just about to arrive at the platforms at Earls
Court and we stop just for a minute or so and an announcement comes over the
PA, "we are currently awaiting a platform to become free, we apologise for
this delay". The most ridiculous thing was the delay was so short there was
barely time for the announcement to be played before we started again and
arrived at the platforms.
Just seemed pointless to me.

Martin J.

Old March 11th 09, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin J wrote:
On the District Line today, just about to arrive at the platforms at
Earls Court and we stop just for a minute or so and an announcement
comes over the PA, "we are currently awaiting a platform to become
free, we apologise for this delay". The most ridiculous thing was
the delay was so short there was barely time for the announcement to
be played before we started again and arrived at the platforms.
Just seemed pointless to me.

Presumably when the driver started the announcement, he didn't know that the
train would be moving so soon. I don't see anything to criticise here.

Old March 12th 09, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 11, 8:42*pm, "Martin J" wrote:
On the District Line today, just about to arrive at the platforms at Earls
Court and we stop just for a minute or so and an announcement comes over the
PA, "we are currently awaiting a platform to become free, we apologise for
this delay". *The most ridiculous thing was the delay was so short there was
barely time for the announcement to be played before we started again and
arrived at the platforms.
Just seemed pointless to me.

Martin J.

A PA/DVA must be made within 30 seconds of the train stopping.

Old March 12th 09, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
of
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 03:43:39 in uk.transport.london,
writes
On Mar 11, 8:42*pm, "Martin J" wrote:
On the District Line today, just about to arrive at the platforms at Earls
Court and we stop just for a minute or so and an announcement comes over the
PA, "we are currently awaiting a platform to become free, we apologise for
this delay". *The most ridiculous thing was the delay was so short there was
barely time for the announcement to be played before we started again and
arrived at the platforms.
Just seemed pointless to me.

Martin J.

A PA/DVA must be made within 30 seconds of the train stopping.

DVA? Is it Digital Vehicle Announcement?

I might expect 30 seconds between stations, but would not at platforms.

I complained when no PA was given on an H&C stopped westbound at Edgware
Road for about 7 minutes. Although driver change might partly explain
it, the response did not say so. The PA was working; the driver
mentioned Hammersmith a few seconds before closing the doors.

I get the impression that drivers sometimes forget to switch on
automatic PA systems. I was impressed when the automatic PA stopped
working after reporting Great Portland Street eastbound as Baker Street;
I would have been more impressed if the driver then made manual
announcements. I put the lack of PA as within the usual service level.
This must have been Circle or H&C; Met seems to have no automatic PA.

Even with PA & sober, I sometimes get out at the wrong station.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old March 13th 09, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Steve Dulieu
writes

On the District Line today, just about to arrive at the platforms
at Earls
Court and we stop just for a minute or so and an announcement comes
over the
PA, "we are currently awaiting a platform to become free, we
apologise for
this delay". The most ridiculous thing was the delay was so short
there was
barely time for the announcement to be played before we started
again and
arrived at the platforms.
Just seemed pointless to me.

Martin J.

A PA/DVA must be made within 30 seconds of the train stopping.

DVA? Is it Digital Vehicle Announcement?

Digital Voice Announcer.

Someone call?