Old September 30th 03, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Watford Junction.. On the Met, Via Croxley...

Does any one out there have any idea as to a timeframe for the
extension of the Met, along the old Croxley link to Watford
Junction....?

If you have links to any sites on the subject I'd be very pleased to
have them

Cheers.

Brenda

Old September 30th 03, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Brenda" wrote in message
om...

Does any one out there have any idea as to a
timeframe for the extension of the Met, along
the old Croxley link to Watford Junction....?

You should have come to the talk last night in Watford Town Hall, as
mentioned in this newsgroup by me on the 14th!

The news is that, to my surprise, it looks like it's going to go ahead.
The LU project team expect...

* funding to be approved in December 2003
* Public consultation - early 2004
* Transport And Works Act application Spring 2004
* Public Inquiry Autumn/Winter 2004
* Possibly start building early 2006
* Trains running 2008.

Other news: Watford High Street is to be made wheelchair accessible, along
with the new stations at Watford West and Ascot Road. (The platforms to be
used at Watford Junction are already wheelchair-accessible.).

Watford West station will have exits at both ends.

If you have links to any sites on the subject
I'd be very pleased to have them

My somewhat-out-of-date article is at
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro...w.html#Croxley

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 30th 03, 06:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:45:21 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

You should have come to the talk last night in Watford Town Hall, as
mentioned in this newsgroup by me on the 14th!

The news is that, to my surprise, it looks like it's going to go ahead.
The LU project team expect...

* funding to be approved in December 2003
* Public consultation - early 2004
* Transport And Works Act application Spring 2004
* Public Inquiry Autumn/Winter 2004
* Possibly start building early 2006
* Trains running 2008.

Other news: Watford High Street is to be made wheelchair accessible, along
with the new stations at Watford West and Ascot Road. (The platforms to be
used at Watford Junction are already wheelchair-accessible.).

Watford West station will have exits at both ends.

Having also been at the meeting (we did not make contact!) may I add
that the train service planned is simply diversion of the present
service from Watford Met (up to 7 per hour). No additional
Rickmansworth - Watford service is being considered at this stage.
--
Peter Lawrence
Old September 30th 03, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote on Tue, 30 Sep 2003 -
Having also been at the meeting (we did not make contact!) may I add
that the train service planned is simply diversion of the present
service from Watford Met (up to 7 per hour). No additional
Rickmansworth - Watford service is being considered at this stage.

I always thought a Chesham / Watford service would be good

Matthew

--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it
Old September 30th 03, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

Having also been at the meeting (we did not make contact!)

Which one were you?

I was the 37yo who asked whether an extra train would be needed, and whether
the money spent on putting lifts at Watford High Street could be better
spent on putting them at Moor Park.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 1st 03, 04:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:23:39 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
.. .

Having also been at the meeting (we did not make contact!)

Which one were you?

The left hand one of two retired-looking gents at the opposite end of
the table from the speakers; silent thoughout.

I was the 37yo who asked whether an extra train would be needed, and whether
the money spent on putting lifts at Watford High Street could be better
spent on putting them at Moor Park.

Ah, I remember!
--
Peter Lawrence
Old October 1st 03, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
"Brenda" wrote in message
om...

Does any one out there have any idea as to a
timeframe for the extension of the Met, along
the old Croxley link to Watford Junction....?

You should have come to the talk last night in Watford Town Hall, as
mentioned in this newsgroup by me on the 14th!

The news is that, to my surprise, it looks like it's going to go ahead.
The LU project team expect...

What good news! There is hope for public transportation yet.

Adrian.
Old October 1st 03, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Adrian Hudson" wrote in message
m...
"John Rowland" wrote in message

The news is that, to my surprise, it looks like it's
going to go ahead. The LU project team expect...

What good news! There is hope for public transportation yet.

[chevrons corrected...]

Not really. The Croxley Link is being pushed up the agenda because it's a
perfect Blair project - by putting three extra stations on the tube map for
only 40 million quid, its political value per pound rating is excellent,
regardless of any actual usefulness that it might have. I have heard that
Watford Met is the fifth least used station on LU, and I'm not sure that
Ascot Road and Watford West will do an awful lot better.

I wonder what Ascot Road station will be called? Ascot Road is a terrible
name, because people will go there for the Ascot Racecourse. Watford
Holywell was the best I could come up with, or perhaps Whippendell.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 2nd 03, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
Not really. The Croxley Link is being pushed up the agenda because it's a
perfect Blair project - by putting three extra stations on the tube map for
only 40 million quid, its political value per pound rating is excellent,
regardless of any actual usefulness that it might have. I have heard that
Watford Met is the fifth least used station on LU, and I'm not sure that
Ascot Road and Watford West will do an awful lot better.

Surely if a tube link to watford junction was required once more, then
re-extending the bakerloo line would be the most logical (and cheapest)
since its the most direct route. I can't see many people who want to
go to watford junction wanting to travel halfway around east buckinghamshire
on the met to get there!

B2003
Old October 2nd 03, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

Surely if a tube link to watford junction was required once more, then
re-extending the bakerloo line would be the most logical (and
cheapest) since its the most direct route. I can't see many people
who want to go to watford junction wanting to travel halfway around
east buckinghamshire on the met to get there!

Is the requirement to go to Watford Junction not a desire to provide a
service to Watford High Street which is at the southern end of the shopping
area? It'll be interesting to see how much local traffic is generated on
the Croxley- High St section.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx