Old April 7th 09, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default St Pancras Low Level

On Apr 7, 11:17*am, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 03:56:22
on Tue, 7 Apr 2009, remarked:

I think a plausible scenario is:
- Cambridge/King's Lynn/Peterborough fasts: 5+5 car IEP to King'sCross
- Cambridge semi-fast/Welwyn stopping services: 12-car Thameslink
- Hertford Loop: High-frequency semi-segregated service to Moorgate

So no useful Cambridge-Gatwick services after all. :-(

What's wrong with the semi-fasts? *The Gatwick services are going to be
pretty slow from SPILL to Gatwick, so adding a few minutes north of
SPILL isn't the end of the world.

The Thameslink services are going to be non-stop from London Bridge to
East Croydon, then non-stop again to Gatwick - so what makes them
pretty slow south of SPILL, the trudge through the 'Thameslink core'?
I'm kind of expecting that the core section will pick up some speed
after (at least some of) the works have been done.

Old April 7th 09, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

The eventual KO2 work to provide dedicated through routes west of, at, and
east of London Bridge should also make things speed up a bit; however the
journey should still be fairly attractive compared with a trip on the tube
to Victoria, especially with luggage - unless you conveniently ignore all
the underground walking time, and assume all the connections are instant...

Paul S

Old April 7th 09, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

I'm basing current estimates on observation. I got a TL train from
Brighton only to meet arriving at the same time as me at King's Cross
someone who had left Brighton after me and taken the tube from Victoria.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 7th 09, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote on 07 April 2009 19:38:14 ...
In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Did you never learn punctuation, or is there a world shortage of commas?

Having now understood what you are saying, I see that you are only
measuring the time to from Brighton to King's Cross, not the time to
Cambridge, which would not include a change at King's Cross for the
future Thameslink route, so it's not comparable. Also, as Paul Scott
pointed out, the change at Victoria is less attractive if you have
luggage for the holiday you are flying to from Gatwick.
--
Richard J.
Old April 7th 09, 08:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
08:57:30 on Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Mizter T remarked:
The Thameslink services are going to be non-stop from London Bridge to
East Croydon, then non-stop again to Gatwick - so what makes them
pretty slow south of SPILL, the trudge through the 'Thameslink core'?
I'm kind of expecting that the core section will pick up some speed
after (at least some of) the works have been done.

Part of it's the core, and part is the generally low speed on the line
to Brighton. London Bridge to Gatwick is 24 miles, timetabled currently
at 29 minutes. 100mph it ain't. (The ride is terrible, too).

Old April 7th 09, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Paul Scott) wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Pah!

Having now understood what you are saying, I see that you are only
measuring the time to from Brighton to King's Cross, not the time
to Cambridge, which would not include a change at King's Cross for
the future Thameslink route, so it's not comparable. Also, as
Paul Scott pointed out, the change at Victoria is less attractive
if you have luggage for the holiday you are flying to from Gatwick.

Yes, I realise that.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 7th 09, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 7, 9:24*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
, at
08:57:30 on Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Mizter T remarked:

The Thameslink services are going to be non-stop from London Bridge to
East Croydon, then non-stop again to Gatwick - so what makes them
pretty slow south of SPILL, the trudge through the 'Thameslink core'?
I'm kind of expecting that the core section will pick up some speed
after (at least some of) the works have been done.

Part of it's the core, and part is the generally low speed on the line
to Brighton. London Bridge to Gatwick is 24 miles, timetabled currently
at 29 minutes. 100mph it ain't.

No, but it's the same journey duration as the Gatwick Express (and
Thameslink trains manage to fit in a stop at Croydon too). But I see
now that essentially I think your looking at the Brighton main line in
the eyes of an ECML and/or MML passenger.

(The ride is terrible, too).

Is it really? Or is that just the 319s? I was on the Brighton main
line on an Electrostar very recently, it seemed fine to me. And I only
recall the GatEx being a bit rocky when negotiating points (yes, I
realise it doesn't traverse the fast lines from London Bridge to EC).