Old May 1st 09, 06:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Buggy On Bus Discrimination Claim

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

I must admit this is one that gets me. Assuming a 2-parent family
(which I know isn't a given, but is still AIUI the majority), why do
both parents and the screaming kid who really doesn't want to be there
have to go together to the supermarket so they can irritate the other
shoppers?

It's a well-known fact that people only take their kids to the supermarket
so they can hit them!

Ian

Old May 1st 09, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 23:13:21 +0100
Bill Borland wrote:
Eh? indeed. Try the outer suburbs. Neither of my local buses, the
138 (Metrobus) and 162 (Arriva) has a door in the middle; I am
reasonably sure that the 126 is the same; are you thinking only of
double-decked vehicles?

You have a point, I'd forgotten about the midget buses in the sticks.

B2003

Old May 1st 09, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

No, it's quite simple - if there's space you board. If the
buggy/wheelchair space is taken, you wait for the next one.

How can you tell from the front of the bus?

You wait for the bus to stop first to allow for the possibility of
passengers with pushchairs alighting, and then you look through the doors
and windows. They tend to work quite well for that sort of thing ;-)

Although the drivers on my local bus route often seem to sail past
compulsory bus stops half empty presumably thinking they are full, their
knowledge of their loading becomes encyclopaedic when it comes to pushchairs
and buggies. So as soon as they pull up they'll let you know if they want
you to fold the buggy, use the middle doors or in exceptional cases not come
on at all. OK so some will only allow two buggies on even though the bays
can usually cope with three given cooperative fellow passengers and the more
modest size buggies and the bus is otherwise empty, but most are a bit more
flexible.

Going back to the OP, I was surprised to. Their are minor issues with the
design of buses and with a minority of drivers, the main problem is actually
the other passengers with buggies, and in particular those who don't use an
appropriate pushchair or buggy for public transport.

G.

Old May 1st 09, 09:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Eh? Apart from the routemaster I can't think of any London buses that
*don't*
have doors in the middle.

There are a few single door PDLs in use on my local route and totally
unsuitable for it they are too. Just as useless as those are the two door
ADLs which have the wheelchair bay on the same side as the doors.

G.

Old May 1st 09, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

When I first read that I though you meant they hooked the baby to the
front of the bus

What a bloody good idea Neill ) .

You'll still get people complaining there aren't enough hooks though...

G.

Old May 1st 09, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:54:30 on Thu, 30 Apr 2009,
remarked:
Middle doors? None of the buses I ever catch have middle doors.

Eh? Apart from the routemaster I can't think of any London buses that *don't*
have doors in the middle.

I haven't caught a bus in London for years (excluding the private buses
at airports, for the pedantic).
Old May 1st 09, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
09:23:48 on Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Mizter T remarked:
Mr Perry resides in Nottingham where - like much the rest of the
country - buses only have front doors,

Yes. There are a few bendy-busses with two (not three) sets of doors;
but they don't run on routes that I use.

and he doesn't use buses when in London (I think he's missing a trick
or two but that's another discussion!).

I make do with a combination of tube and walking. Most of my trips are a
one-off, and it's simply too difficult to work out which of 15 bus stops
within a quarter mile radius is the one for the bus I want. Even worse
working out where to get off.

If they still had a platform at the back - I'd be jumping on and off
them like good'un.