Old October 14th 03, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New White City Development

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Pre-38" wrote in message

There will be a new underground Central line depot

Will the Caxton curve be got rid of?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

er No, why should it? that's about 100 meters west of Shepherds Bush. Simply
not affected. The open section on the westbound further on, the bit when u
first see daylight after leaving "the Bush", before White City, again on a
tight curve, will however be covered over, as the development intends to
build on top of it.

--
regards,
Pre`38 tube [DR]

Old October 16th 03, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJC CJC is offline

"Pre-38" wrote in message

There will be a new underground Central line depot

Will the Caxton curve be got rid of?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

er No, why should it? that's about 100 meters west of Shepherds Bush. Simply
not affected. The open section on the westbound further on, the bit when u
first see daylight after leaving "the Bush", before White City, again on a
tight curve, will however be covered over, as the development intends to
build on top of it.

I want them to get rid of the reverse running at White City, one of
the most baffling five minutes in my life trying to fathom that. OK
maybe I'm mad but I was very confused!
Old October 16th 03, 11:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJC"
I want them to get rid of the reverse running at White City, one of
the most baffling five minutes in my life trying to fathom that. OK
maybe I'm mad but I was very confused!

What's so baffling about it. Train comes in middle road, right? u get off
right ?if u stay on the doors may close in a while then open t'other side,
if u don't get off then, simple- u get taken back to where u came from, so
thats ur look out. Train comes in Westbound platform, nobody will get taken
up the siding because they are all tipped out. These people that sit there
dumbfounded because they ain't a damn clue where train's destination they
got on in the first place is goin' to, then start moaning they're lost! I
have no sympathy. Sorry. well Im not even sorry really if I tell the truth.
Same thing at Golders Green and many other points on the system I believe.

--
regards,
Pre`38 tube [DR]

Old October 17th 03, 12:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

What CJC means is the right hand side running at White City. This AFAIK is
the only above ground location on LU where this happens. It all arose
historically at the time of the westward extension from Shepherds Bush

Lawrence Myers

"CJC"

Old October 17th 03, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Lawrence Myers" wrote in message
What CJC means is the right hand side running at White City. This AFAIK is
the only above ground location on LU where this happens. It all arose
historically at the time of the westward extension from Shepherds Bush

Lawrence Myers

Hold on a mo here Lawrence? What the heck has the switch at Caxton curve
after leaving 'the Bush' Central Line to right hand side running got to do
with CJC getting baffled at White City? Thats the bit I don't understand.
There are many locations on the underground where at one station on a
particular side the doors open and the at the next station they open on the
other, if that is all it is.

He was also typically referring to reversing at White City.

I think we need CJC to clarify just what was so disorientating for him.
--
regards,
Pre`38 tube [DR]

Old October 17th 03, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Reverse Running" means trains keeping to the right, rather than to the left
of each other as is standard in UK.
From Caxton Curve, through White City, and to a point approx half way to
East Acton trains run on the right hand track, not the left.

Lawrence Myers

Old October 17th 03, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
dan dan is offline

"Lawrence Myers" wrote in message ...
What CJC means is the right hand side running at White City. This AFAIK is
the only above ground location on LU where this happens. It all arose
historically at the time of the westward extension from Shepherds Bush

"Historically"? Does anyone know the reasons why?
Old October 17th 03, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Lawrence Myers" wrote in message
"Reverse Running" means trains keeping to the right, rather than to the

left
of each other as is standard in UK.
From Caxton Curve, through White City, and to a point approx half way to
East Acton trains run on the right hand track, not the left.

Lawrence Myers

Ah ok now i understand you about reverse running not being White City
reversing of the trains ok
but still am confused as to why CJC had the most baffling five minutes of
his life trying to fathom it out.

Am I too understand he is referring to the reason for the 'reverse' running
in the first place?

I think I'm getting there on this, slowly.

Old October 19th 03, 02:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes

Rob wrote:
Central line depot however, first of its kind ever in the World, I
believe.

So it's to be the only underground depot on the London underground
central line, in the world.
How many other london undeground central lines are there?

tim

Its the First underground one. ie no daylight gets to it. It will
have a wahcking great buildong on top.

Does any daylight normally get to the W&C depot at Waterloo?

Yes (although not a lot) - down the carriage lift-shaft that emerges in
Spur Road (and I think the back part of the depot between Spur Road and
Lower Marsh also gets a little daylight).

You can see into the depot from the access road in that area. There's no
carriage lift. The one that once existed was removed for the Eurostar
platforms

--
Colin Rosenstiel