Old October 13th 03, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster readers on buses

Does anyone know what information is displayed on a bus driver's
ticket machine when an Oystercard is read? Does it display the ticket
type loaded on the card? Is a specific reason displayed if the card is
rejected?

I am asking as my Oyster Travelcard was (apparently) rejected on the
bus today, despite it working fine for the last two weeks. I did not
know anything was wrong until the driver called me up after everyone
had boarded and asked me to touch the card on the reader again. The
red light came on, but wouldn't that happen anyway since I had already
touched it and I assume the system is programmed not to accept cards
which already have been read on that bus within a certain time (much
like the underground ticket gates)?.

Hence I am a bit confused as to what was actually wrong. I don't know
if the green light came on when I first touched it as I wasn't looking
out for it. Having since checked my Oyster card usage on the
touch-screen ticket machine at the tube station, it correctly showed
my card registered on the bus that I boarded.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Nicholas

Old October 14th 03, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The Wayfarer on the Bus displays the Ticket Type (ie Travelcard, Youth LT
etc) and the zones valid. There is also a seperate "details" section that
the driver can go into, that, when the card is scanned, it will display, or
print out the last 6 or so bus trips, with details of route number, time and
stage boarded. There is also an option to "stop" an oystercard, although I
don't know if that only works for TfL Inspectors.

James
"Martyn Drake" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:32:21 +0100, Nicholas wrote:

I am asking as my Oyster Travelcard was (apparently) rejected on the
bus today, despite it working fine for the last two weeks. I did not
know anything was wrong until the driver called me up after everyone
had boarded and asked me to touch the card on the reader again. The
red light came on, but wouldn't that happen anyway since I had already
touched it and I assume the system is programmed not to accept cards
which already have been read on that bus within a certain time (much
like the underground ticket gates)?.

I've no idea as to what information is displayed, but speaking from
experience, the Oystercard readers on buses are not that reliable. A
friend who works for London Underground had her company issued
Oystercard rejected on one trip (and that wasn't because of validity -
it was a perfectly valid card and well within the trip's limit). My own
card was rejected on another trip. No problems at all with Underground
barriers.

Hence I am a bit confused as to what was actually wrong. I don't know
if the green light came on when I first touched it as I wasn't looking
out for it. Having since checked my Oyster card usage on the
touch-screen ticket machine at the tube station, it correctly showed
my card registered on the bus that I boarded.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think it's just a general glitch that
needs ironing out.

Regards,

Martyn
--
http://www.holidaydestinations.net
http://www.lykiaworld.info

Old October 14th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Does anyone know what information is displayed on a bus driver's
ticket machine when an Oystercard is read? Does it display the ticket
type loaded on the card? Is a specific reason displayed if the card is
rejected?

There can be a range of reasons why a card would be rejected including
card reader error, mis swiping of the card, fraud, card failure etc.

I am asking as my Oyster Travelcard was (apparently) rejected on the
bus today, despite it working fine for the last two weeks. I did not
know anything was wrong until the driver called me up after everyone
had boarded and asked me to touch the card on the reader again. The
red light came on, but wouldn't that happen anyway since I had already
touched it and I assume the system is programmed not to accept cards
which already have been read on that bus within a certain time (much
like the underground ticket gates)?.

I have a staff card and I've had all sorts of card problems on buses.
The units were very unreliable but performance is much better now. Just
yesterday I had a problem with an Arriva bus. I just showed my card to
the driver. I think the most likely problem is a card or bus ticket
machine error as you say the card was correctly updated.

If the card had been updated correctly the first time then it is
possible that the card would be rejected a second time - the details
would still display to the driver coupled with a reason for rejection. I
don't know for certain what checks are programmed in for bus checking
purposes.
--
Paul C

Old October 16th 03, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I have a staff card and I've had all sorts of card problems on buses.
The units were very unreliable but performance is much better now. Just
yesterday I had a problem with an Arriva bus. I just showed my card to
the driver. I think the most likely problem is a card or bus ticket
machine error as you say the card was correctly updated.

If the card had been updated correctly the first time then it is
possible that the card would be rejected a second time - the details
would still display to the driver coupled with a reason for rejection. I
don't know for certain what checks are programmed in for bus checking
purposes.

I have had 1 penny of PrePay deducted from my Z2 Oyster Travelcard on
buses three times.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nes Nes is offline

Some of the bus ticket machines (Wayfarers?) display the ticket type (ie
Adult Bus Pass Z1-4 for my card) an dthe expiry date.

Not sure why the driver asked you to re-read the card again, as of course
it'll reject the second read as a "passback attempt", which is what happened
to me recently. I touched the card against the reader and it beeped, but the
yellow light didn't change. I tried again and got the double beep and the
light turned red. The driver then tried to charge me a cash fare, which I
wasn't having. He then gave me a error slip with "passback attempt" the
reason for the ticket rejection, so it read the first time, but the light
didn't go green as usual.

Nes.
--
To reply directly to me, please remove all the spam-deflecting X's!
Either that, or simply reply to the group!