Old April 10th 06, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default DLR Oyster Readers at Bank: What For?

I've noticed that there are Oyster readers near the deep-level DLR
platforms at Bank.

I can understand why they have them on the platforms at Stratford, in
case one arrives from National Rail and crosses the platform to begin
an Oyster journey.

But at Bank, you must have either started an Oyster journey already (on
LU or DLR) or else just come through, or about to leave through, the
barrier line at the entrance. So what are the deep-level Oyster
readers for?

Just curious really. It never occurred to me to look for readers there
in the past, and it hasn't been a problem.

Old April 10th 06, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in news:1144686617.341676.186720
@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I've noticed that there are Oyster readers near the deep-level DLR
platforms at Bank.

I can understand why they have them on the platforms at Stratford, in
case one arrives from National Rail and crosses the platform to begin
an Oyster journey.

But at Bank, you must have either started an Oyster journey already (on
LU or DLR) or else just come through, or about to leave through, the
barrier line at the entrance. So what are the deep-level Oyster
readers for?

Just curious really. It never occurred to me to look for readers there
in the past, and it hasn't been a problem.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, I got on the LU at Old Street and was
going to Barking DLR.

I had a yearly season ticket on my Oystercard, validating me for all the
zones of the DLR and zones 1-3 on LU.

I used the barrier at Old Street.

I didn't use the swipe thingy on the Bank platform.

My ticket got checked while on the DLR, and his machine said that I was
illegally on the DLR; I was not happy as the machine wouldn't say that I
have a 1-3 season ticket on it so am eligible to go anywhere on the DLR.

He ********ed me and said he was going to issue me with a penalty fare, but
in the end believed my story. He said I should have swiped in at Bank as
their machines are independent from the data collected at Old Street.

What I don't know is whether you enter from the street level at Bank
itself, whether THOSE barriers are tied in with the ones on the platform.
Surely you wouldn't need to swipe there as well??? I don't know. The whole
system is screwed until Ken manages to get full control.
Old April 10th 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, MIG
writes

But at Bank, you must have either started an Oyster journey already (on
LU or DLR) or else just come through, or about to leave through, the
barrier line at the entrance. So what are the deep-level Oyster
readers for?

Possibly for (disabled) people who have come straight down from the
street on the DLR lift. There was a discussion of other possible reasons
here last November - Google should reveal details.

--
Paul Terry
Old April 10th 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
[...]

Regrettably, this isn't a Ken issue - TfL is in charge of ticketing on
LU and the DLR.

It sounds like you either had an intermittently broken Oyster or that
you encountered an RPI with an intermittently broken machine: whether
or not you touch in at the start of (or at any other point during) your
journey makes no difference whatsoever towards whether the Travelcard
loaded on your Oyster card is valid. Touching in is *only* relevant for
PAYG (although this obviously also includes travel outside of your
Travelcard zones, which is where confusion sometimes arises).

It also sounds like your RPI was an ignorant tit, although at least he
wasn't an ignorant tit who refused to back down when he was in the
wrong...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old April 10th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Paul Terry wrote:
In message .com, MIG
writes

But at Bank, you must have either started an Oyster journey already (on
LU or DLR) or else just come through, or about to leave through, the
barrier line at the entrance. So what are the deep-level Oyster
readers for?

Possibly for (disabled) people who have come straight down from the
street on the DLR lift. There was a discussion of other possible reasons
here last November - Google should reveal details.

--
Paul Terry

Ah, that could explain it. Presumably if you do touch there vacuously
it makes no difference to the fare. Certainly, the DLR readers at the
suburban end of the DLR have no trouble with the fact that one touched
in at a Zone 1 LU station without touching while changing at Bank.

Old April 11th 06, 01:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote in
oups.com:

John B wrote:
Tristán White wrote:
[...]

And even if it wasn't a travelcard, he was surely wrong about the
system being independent. For Prepay his machine should have
recognised the touching in at Old Street.

And mine wasn't even prepay - it was a full year travelcard.
Unfortunately I didn't have the goldcard paper receipt on me.

One wonders how much training these RPIs go through before they're
unleashed on the public.