Old July 17th 09, 11:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Default Fares: London - Gatwick?

Hi Group,

I have to meet Mrs Fig at Gatwick (North) this evening.
This is not a common journey for me so, seeing as I've got a bit of time,
I thought I'd try and figure out my cheapest option. Wish I'd never
started!

The details:

From: Ruislip Gardens
To: Gatwick (North)
Flight arrives: 8pm
I need 1 return journey and 1 single.
We both have HMF railcards.
Neither of us have any season tickets but do have railcards loaded on to
Oyster for discounted caps.
I can buy an off-peak z1-6 day travelcard for £5 (if the ticket office is
open!)

What would be the cheapest option?

NR website is saying £11.20 for rtn from London Bridge, £14.50 for return
from Victoria and £19.00 for return Gatwick Exp.
I've got no idea about boundary zone 6 to Gatwick prices, but coupled with
a £5 travelcard that must be an option?
Bare in mind that on the return journey we'll probably just want to get on
the first London bound train and not want to hang around for a London
Bridge train (I'm not sure what the frequencies are.) Why are Victoria and
London Bridge tickets priced differently? Isn't there a London Terminals
to Gatwick fare?

How does one get from the station to North Terminal?

Any advice gratefully received!

--
Fig

Old July 17th 09, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:08:28 +0100
Fig wrote:
How does one get from the station to North Terminal?

Theres a people mover system that links the 2 terminals. If it was much
longer it could probably be called a metro.

B2003

Old July 17th 09, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message op.uw7k8eaom4iaeb@dell, at 12:08:28 on Fri, 17 Jul 2009,
Fig remarked:
Isn't there a London Terminals to Gatwick fare?

Only as a travelcard, I think; all the other fares are
operator-specific. Cheapest is the "FCC only".

How does one get from the station to North Terminal?

Go out of the ticket office towards the South Terminal, and shortly
after take a walkway to the right - it has a pair of short travelators -
leading to the shuttle train to the North Terminal.

From: Ruislip Gardens
To: Gatwick (North)
Flight arrives: 8pm
I need 1 return journey and 1 single.
We both have HMF railcards.
Neither of us have any season tickets but do have railcards loaded on to
Oyster for discounted caps.
I can buy an off-peak z1-6 day travelcard for £5 (if the ticket office is
open!)

What would be the cheapest option?

NR website is saying £11.20 for rtn from London Bridge, £14.50 for return
from Victoria and £19.00 for return Gatwick Exp.
I've got no idea about boundary zone 6 to Gatwick prices, but coupled with
a £5 travelcard that must be an option?

This looks like what you need - I reckon a CDR costs £6.50 as an ANY
PERMITTED fare (the NOT GATWICK EXP costs £6.90 more, go figure). At that
price I would just buy two of them, assuming you can also buy two z1-6
travelcards. If you're buying tix at Gatwick I would get them *before*
meeting the missus.

Bear in mind that on the return journey we'll probably just want to get on
the first London bound train and not want to hang around for a London
Bridge train (I'm not sure what the frequencies are.)

FCC run half hourly at that time of night, but there are complications due
to the central section of the Thameslink route being closed overnight. The
Boundary Zone 6 ANY PERMITTED ticket should work on any train without the
requirement for the train to stop at the point where you change from one
ticket to another.

Why are Victoria and London Bridge tickets priced differently?

Different train operators - if you're really sad read the 'Is Southern
Daysave valid on Gatwick Express?' thread.

Isn't there a London Terminals to Gatwick fare?

No - the closest fare available from Gatwick is the all-zones travelcard. It
looks like if you're travelling from London you have to do it as a
travelcard + Boundary Zones fare.

How does one get from the station to North Terminal?

There is an internal shuttle railway, next door to the main-line station.

Old July 17th 09, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message op.uw7k8eaom4iaeb@dell, at 12:08:28 on Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Fig
remarked:
Isn't there a London Terminals to Gatwick fare?

Only as a travelcard, I think; all the other fares are operator-specific.
Cheapest is the "FCC only".

Don't forget he is doing London Terminals to Gatwick Return, they don't do
inclusive travelcards that way round anyway...

Paul

From: Ruislip Gardens
To: Gatwick (North)
[...]

Thanks David. Just to be sure, ANY PERMITTED includes Gatwick Express?
Have just discovered that Mrs Fig is on expenses so will just by her a
single with the greatest availability.

--
Fig
Old July 17th 09, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:31:12 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message op.uw7k8eaom4iaeb@dell, at 12:08:28 on Fri, 17 Jul 2009,
Fig remarked:

How does one get from the station to North Terminal?

Go out of the ticket office towards the South Terminal, and shortly
after take a walkway to the right - it has a pair of short travelators -
leading to the shuttle train to the North Terminal.

Thanks Roland. How much time should one allow for the shuttle?

Old July 17th 09, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Thanks David. Just to be sure, ANY PERMITTED includes Gatwick Express?

Yes. BUT, I've just double checked the Conditions of Carriage and it looks
like you can only combine a Travelcard *Season* (i.e. not a one-day ticket)
with a boundary zone ticket. Damn!

If you want 'go anywhere with any operator' capability on the rail leg of
the trip your best bet is probably an ANY PERMITTED cheap day return London
Terminals to Three Bridges at £17.00.

Have just discovered that Mrs Fig is on expenses so will just by her a
single with the greatest availability.

Mrs Fig should probably get a Gatwick Airport to Zones 1-6 ticket (you can't
buy a ticket to London Terminals - this is the only ticket with go anywhere
capability from Gatwick).

D A Stocks

From: Ruislip Gardens
To: Gatwick (North)
[...]

Surely a Boundary Zone 6 ticket is meaningless on Gatwick Express? Does it
stop anywhere near the boundary?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 17th 09, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:49:00 on
Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Paul Scott remarked:
Isn't there a London Terminals to Gatwick fare?

Only as a travelcard, I think; all the other fares are operator-specific.
Cheapest is the "FCC only".

Don't forget he is doing London Terminals to Gatwick Return, they don't do
inclusive travelcards that way round anyway...

OK... So on the basis that there is supposed to be at least one
interavailable ticket, what is it, starting at the London end?