London Banter

-   -   These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8761-these-writhing-whales-road-have.html)

Bruce[_2_] July 28th 09 11:22 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 04:41:13 -0700 (PDT), Martin Deutsch
wrote:

On Jul 26, 11:34*pm, Andy wrote:
On Jul 26, 11:06*pm, "Ian F." wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

.. .

I admit to having an inbuilt patholgocial hatred of cyclists who
disobey the rules of the road, so I'm as guilty as anyone. *But I do
think that the bendy buses have been vilified for a lot of problems
that they don't cause.

I hate them for the one major problem they *do* cause - fare-dodging!

Well, they don't cause the fare-dodging. Facilitate it maybe, but the
it is the fare-dodgers that cause the fare-dodging.

Pedantry aside, surely the solution to discouraging fare-dodging is to
increase inspections, not to change the bus?

Not if your mind is rigidly set against the bendy bus, and you are
simply looking for excuses to get rid of it. ;-)

[email protected] July 28th 09 11:46 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 04:03:50 -0700 (PDT)
MIG wrote:
HGVs and bendy buses are intended for different types of road. HGVs

Really? What types of roads would these be?

aren't allowed in all the places that bendy buses are, and I don't see
many bendy buses at Felixtowe.

I've seen HGVs in my narrow local high street trying to reverse into the
supermarket to do a delivery , but I've never seen a bendy bus there.

Point is , if a cyclist can't cope with a bendy bus they obviously can't
cope with HGVs either so perhaps they should leave their bike for w/e rides
in the park and find another way to commute.

B2003

[email protected] July 28th 09 11:48 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 04:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
I have never seen a bendy bus on Victoria Embankment. I have seen one
around London Wall. I do not ride along Oxford Street at all, it is
impassable. I did see a bendy bus today as I was riding round Hyde
Park Corner - hard to avoid seeing it in fact as it pulled onto the
roundabout straight into my path. And with 18m of bus that left no
option at all but to stop in the middle of a busy roundabout.

So let me get this straight - you didn't see an 18m bus coming until
it was almost on top of you and then (surprise!) it went to pass you?

I'm sure they are fine in their place, but central London is not it.

Perhaps its not your place either as it appears you have tunnel vision.

B2003

Just zis Guy, you know? July 28th 09 11:59 AM

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

I have never seen a bendy bus on Victoria Embankment. *I have seen one
around London Wall. *I do not ride along Oxford Street at all, it is
impassable. *I did see a bendy bus today as I was riding round Hyde
Park Corner - hard to avoid seeing it in fact as it pulled onto the
roundabout straight into my path. *And with 18m of bus that left no
option at all but to stop in the middle of a busy roundabout.

So let me get this straight - you didn't see an 18m bus coming until
it was almost on top of you and then (surprise!) it went to pass you?

Wrong. I was cycling round the roundabout, the bus driver entered the
roundabout in conflict with traffic already on the roundabout, he was
in the wrong not me.

I'm sure they are fine in their place, but central London is not it.

Perhaps its not your place either as it appears you have tunnel vision.

See above: your base premise is in error. Do you cycle much in
central London? I'm not the only cyclist to find bendy buses to be
disproportionately problematic.
--
Guy

Bruce[_2_] July 28th 09 12:01 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:52:14 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009, MIG wrote:

Never mind class or party politics; what about "I don't like to have a
totally unsuitable vehicle blocking the pedestrian crossings, forcing me
to risk my life to get across the road"?

That's a problem with the drivers, not the buses, and is not restricted to
bendies, although of course it's worse with them.

There is obviously a greater chance that an individual bendy bus will
block a pedestrian crossing because of its greater length, but surely
there is also a lesser frequency of blocking because there are fewer
bendy buses needed for the same route capacity?

I suspect that the second at least partially compensates for the
first, and that the overall daily instances of blocking could well be
about the same.

Are there any real
problems with the bendies which are intrinsic to the bus itself?

Of course, the greater length, articulation and the rear section's
self-steering system make it different, but those differences are
amerliorated to a great extent by there being fewer buses needed for
the same capacity.

Basil Jet July 28th 09 12:15 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 03:16:34 -0700 (PDT)
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
I suggest you try riding a bike round some European city centres some
time. The bus routes in major European cities where bendy buses are
common typically run along broad boulevards which are straight or
have wide, sweeping bends. The narrow, twisty streets of London are
one of the main reasons the late lamented Routemaster was originally
developed.

What exactly is narrow and twisty about victoria embankment or oxford
street or the strand or 101 other roads I could mention? All cities
have wide roads and all cities have narrow roads. If you don't think
there are narrow and twisty roads in Paris or Madrid or wherever
you've obviously never been there.

Maybe the bendy routes in London should have been introduced as new routes
constrained to follow the wider roads, instead of taking over existing
routes like the 73 and expecting bendies to turn from Stoke Newington Church
St to Albion Road without causing problems.

Just zis Guy, you know? July 28th 09 12:24 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Jul 28, 1:15*pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

Maybe the bendy routes in London should have been introduced as new routes
constrained to follow the wider roads, instead of taking over existing
routes like the 73 and expecting bendies to turn from Stoke Newington Church
St to Albion Road without causing problems.

Yes, that would have been a good idea.

I think that getting rid of them all just because they are used badly
is every bot as foolish as introducing them into routes where they
cause problems.

I still don' t like sharing the road with them, though.
--
Guy

Bruce[_2_] July 28th 09 01:19 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 04:59:59 -0700 (PDT), "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
Do you cycle much in
central London? I'm not the only cyclist to find bendy buses to be
disproportionately problematic.

I'm sure I'm not the only London road user to find cyclists to be
disproportionately problematic.

It is difficult to imagine a group of road users who are more
anti-social, showing, as so many do, scant regard for the Highway Code
and complete contempt for other road users, especially pedestrians.

If you don't like bendy buses - tough!

Ian F. July 28th 09 01:32 PM

"Bruce" wrote in message

Not if your mind is rigidly set against the bendy bus, and you are
simply looking for excuses to get rid of it. ;-)

People who like BoJo hate the bendy bus.
People who hate BoJo like the bendy bus.
Simples.

Ian

[email protected] July 28th 09 01:52 PM

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
So let me get this straight - you didn't see an 18m bus coming until
it was almost on top of you and then (surprise!) it went to pass you?

Wrong. I was cycling round the roundabout, the bus driver entered the
roundabout in conflict with traffic already on the roundabout, he was
in the wrong not me.

Obviously the buses fault, nothing to do with the driver. Must be something
psychotic about the bendy part of it.

See above: your base premise is in error. Do you cycle much in
central London?

Why would I? I'm not an idiot. There are these things known as buses and
tubes.

I'm not the only cyclist to find bendy buses to be
disproportionately problematic.

If you can deal with a large bus then you can't deal with HGVs either so
therefor you should leave your bike at home, accept you're not competant
on the road and stop whining.

B2003

[email protected] July 28th 09 01:55 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:01:41 +0100
Bruce wrote:
Of course, the greater length, articulation and the rear section's
self-steering system make it different, but those differences are

They don't self steer, they follow a curve. Simple geometry which even
cyclists could understand if they bothered to try. Also the cut in on
a bendy bus rear section going around a corner is a shed load less than
on an HGV.

B2003

bod43 July 28th 09 01:57 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On 28 July, 13:24, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
On Jul 28, 1:15*pm, "Basil Jet"

wrote:
Maybe the bendy routes in London should have been introduced as new routes
constrained to follow the wider roads, instead of taking over existing
routes like the 73 and expecting bendies to turn from Stoke Newington Church
St to Albion Road without causing problems.

Yes, that would have been a good idea.

I think that getting rid of them all just because they are used badly
is every bot as foolish as introducing them into routes where they
cause problems.

I have commuted daily by bus on a bendy route and
they have approximately zero seats. I think that this may
have figured into the calculation to phase them out.

Nothing at all to do with them being Ken's busses and not
Boris' I am sure.

I think that a key reason that they are less pleasant for
cyclists is that the larger size of them results in there being
an increased frequency of ill-judged attempted overtakes (where
for example the driver drives as if the bus had zero length) and
fewer options are left for the cyclist when the bus driver offers
imminent death. Bizarrely, driving a bus in a manner contrary
to the recommendations of the highway code does not seem
to be considered careless or dangerous unless someone
is dead.

The aircraft industry and the HSE have recognised for
decades that routine unsafe operation results in routine
deaths, with a bit of luck the HSE will turn their attention
further towards road deaths and injuries while "at work" in
the near future.

MIG July 28th 09 02:02 PM

On 28 July, 14:32, "Ian F." wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

Not if your mind is rigidly set against the bendy bus, and you are
simply looking for excuses to get rid of it. *;-)

People who like BoJo hate the bendy bus.
People who hate BoJo like the bendy bus.
Simples.

Ian

Anyone who believes that would have to be.

Just zis Guy, you know? July 28th 09 02:12 PM

On Jul 28, 2:52*pm, wrote:

Obviously the buses fault, nothing to do with the driver. Must be something
psychotic about the bendy part of it.

So you can't see why an 18m long vehicle doing this in front of you is
more of a problem than a 9m long vehicle? Really? In this case the
bus pulled onto the roundabout and immediately had to stop for a
traffic light, blocking my route to the exit. A standard length bus
would simply not have been a problem.

See above: your base premise is in error. *Do you cycle much in
central London?

Why would I? I'm not an idiot. There are these things known as buses and
tubes.

If you want to use a slower and more expensive mode (and take part in
the great virus incubation experiment while you do so) then that is
your choice :-)

I'm not the only cyclist to find bendy buses to be
disproportionately problematic.

If you can deal with a large bus then you can't deal with HGVs either so
therefor you should leave your bike at home, accept you're not competant
on the road and stop whining.

Once again, you are wrong. I can and do deal with goods vehicles of
all sizes, but the largest artics are not normally seen in the centre
of London during commuting time, and they also have quite different
characteristics - the tail of a bendy bus moves in *much* faster than
the trailer of an artic. Bendy buses are far and away the longest
vehicles and also the most common long vehicles you will encounter in
central London during peak hours.

The original comment was:
"Sharon Grant, Chair, London TravelWatch said:
"We have yet to hear a credible reason for scrapping
bendy buses..."

I think there are credible reasons for removing them from some
routes. I am not the only one to think this. Which indicates to me
that Sharon Grant is either deliberately ignoring some concerns, or
perhaps meant to imply "altogether" in her sentence, in which case I'd
agree that scrapping them altogether is probably unnecessary as long
as you get them out of the places where they simply don't fit
properly.

The great joy of London is that it's a human-scale city, you can walk
from St Paul's the the National Gallery, wander round for a couple of
hours then walk on to the West End for a show. Bendy buses are out of
scale, designed for a Continental model which Wren, Hooke and others
failed to have applied to London after the fire.
--
Guy

Bruce[_2_] July 28th 09 02:30 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 06:57:45 -0700 (PDT), bod43
wrote:

I think that a key reason that they are less pleasant for
cyclists is that the larger size of them results in there being
an increased frequency of ill-judged attempted overtakes (where
for example the driver drives as if the bus had zero length) and
fewer options are left for the cyclist when the bus driver offers
imminent death. Bizarrely, driving a bus in a manner contrary
to the recommendations of the highway code does not seem
to be considered careless or dangerous unless someone
is dead.

The aircraft industry and the HSE have recognised for
decades that routine unsafe operation results in routine
deaths, with a bit of luck the HSE will turn their attention
further towards road deaths and injuries while "at work" in
the near future.

Complete, over-emotive nonsense. The statistics will show that bendy
buses have an excellent safety record. If the figures really showed
that they were unsafe, they would have been gone long ago.

What few problems there are - and let's be in no doubt, they are few -
seem to be a direct result of other road users (car and lorry drivers,
cyclists and pedestrians) failing to take any account of the size of
the bus. Treating it as though it was smaller, then complaining
bitterly because it isn't, displays the head-in-the-sand attitide that
is at the root of opposition to these very fine vehicles.

Tom Barry July 28th 09 02:51 PM

MIG wrote:
HGVs and bendy buses are intended for different types of road. HGVs

Really? What types of roads would these be?

aren't allowed in all the places that bendy buses are, and I don't see
many bendy buses at Felixtowe.

I've seen HGVs in my narrow local high street trying to reverse into the
supermarket to do a delivery , but I've never seen a bendy bus there.

I was held up on a backstreet this morning by an HGV trying to turn
round by reversing into a residential cul-de-sac. Lost, evidently.
Shall we ban it?

Tom

Tom Barry July 28th 09 02:59 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rearends round our corners for the final time.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Jul 28, 11:10 am, wrote:

Tell me , are british commuter cyclists just particularly incompetant and/or
stupid compared to european ones who've been living with bendy buses
for years or are you all - what most people suspect is the case - nothing but
a bunch of tedious whingers?

I suggest you try riding a bike round some European city centres some
time. The bus routes in major European cities where bendy buses are
common typically run along broad boulevards which are straight or have
wide, sweeping bends.

What, like the Uxbridge Road, where the 207 bendies will shortly (well,
2011) be replaced by a great many slow-loading single door entry double
deckers like we used to have? RMLs having departed in 1987, it's back
to the Eighties with Boris, then.

*sigh* It's not the interior or the fares or the roads, it's the bendy
bit that people object to, however much they dress it up. There's
probably a pill you can take.

Tom

Roland Perry July 28th 09 03:10 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

In message , at 10:46:39 on Tue, 28 Jul 2009,
remarked:
I object to the collateral damage, so that's one person who isn't doing
any political posturing. I expect most people trying to cross the road,
but are blocked by a bendy-bus, are also more interested in the
practical objections.

Yes , we should ban HGVs too because they can occasionally block pedestrian
crossings and squish cyclists. 7.5 tonners are the way forward!

I don't see many HGVs in central London, as it happens. So it's not so
much of a problem. Changing them into smaller trucks is more difficult
too, because the cargo isn't self-loading like it is for buses.

[email protected] July 28th 09 03:44 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:12:26 -0700 (PDT)
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
So you can't see why an 18m long vehicle doing this in front of you is
more of a problem than a 9m long vehicle? Really? In this case the
bus pulled onto the roundabout and immediately had to stop for a
traffic light, blocking my route to the exit. A standard length bus
would simply not have been a problem.

But you can see how long the bus is, why don't you take account of that?
Much as though you would probably prefer otherwise, in a head to head with
a bus a cyclist isn't going to win so why not just accept that fact and
stop complaining when buses get in your way. You can scoot around most
obstacles, buses can't.

Why would I? I'm not an idiot. There are these things known as buses and
tubes.

If you want to use a slower and more expensive mode (and take part in
the great virus incubation experiment while you do so) then that is
your choice :-)

OTOH theres little chance of me being run over.

characteristics - the tail of a bendy bus moves in *much* faster than
the trailer of an artic. Bendy buses are far and away the longest

So what? When you encounter a long vehicle for the first time I can understand
your concern , but since you deal with them every day whats the problem?
If you can't handle the vehicles on the road don't go on it.

I think there are credible reasons for removing them from some
routes. I am not the only one to think this. Which indicates to me

Some routes yes, where they simply don't fit. But not to get rid of them
altogether.

B2003

Tom Anderson July 28th 09 03:56 PM

wrote:

Do you cycle much in central London? I'm not the only cyclist to find
bendy buses to be disproportionately problematic.

I'm sure I'm not the only London road user to find cyclists to be
disproportionately problematic.

It is difficult to imagine a group of road users who are more
anti-social, showing, as so many do, scant regard for the Highway Code
and complete contempt for other road users, especially pedestrians.

I'd be veryr interested to hear why you don't consider cabbies to be road
users.

tom

--
I had no idea it was going to end in such tragedy

Tom Anderson July 28th 09 03:58 PM

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, bod43 wrote:

The aircraft industry and the HSE have recognised for decades that
routine unsafe operation results in routine deaths, with a bit of luck
the HSE will turn their attention further towards road deaths and
injuries while "at work" in the near future.

That would be nice. Is there any reason to think the chance of this
happening is greater than 0%?

tom

--
I had no idea it was going to end in such tragedy

Tom Anderson July 28th 09 04:00 PM

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

The great joy of London is that it's a human-scale city, you can walk
from St Paul's the the National Gallery, wander round for a couple of
hours then walk on to the West End for a show. Bendy buses are out of
scale, designed for a Continental model which Wren, Hooke and others
failed to have applied to London after the fire.

You bloody what? When you say 'Continental', is the continent in question
North America, or have you just lost your marbles? Or, perhaps, never been
to a European city?

tom

--
I had no idea it was going to end in such tragedy

Just zis Guy, you know? July 28th 09 04:01 PM

On Jul 28, 4:44*pm, wrote:
So you can't see why an 18m long vehicle doing this in front of you is
more of a problem than a 9m long vehicle? *Really? *In this case the
bus pulled onto the roundabout and immediately had to stop for a
traffic light, blocking my route to the exit. *A standard length bus
would simply not have been a problem.

But you can see how long the bus is, why don't you take account of that?
Much as though you would probably prefer otherwise, in a head to head with
a bus a cyclist isn't going to win so why not just accept that fact and
stop complaining when buses get in your way. You can scoot around most
obstacles, buses can't.

I don't have much option when the bus overtakes me or pulls out in
front of me, which is the major source of the problem. I also don't
have any control over whether the driver chooses to pull away when I
am part way past, although I never start to pass a bus that is
indicating.

If you want to use a slower and more expensive mode (and take part in
the great virus incubation experiment while you do so) then that is
your choice :-)

OTOH theres little chance of me being run over.

Obviously we use different roads - the people crossing the road at
Cannon Street seem to be courting just that :o)

characteristics - the tail of a bendy bus moves in *much* faster than
the trailer of an artic. *Bendy buses are far and away the longest

So what? When you encounter a long vehicle for the first time I can understand
your concern , but since you deal with them every day whats the problem?
If you can't handle the vehicles on the road don't go on it.

So you'd be happy with introducing, say, roadtrains into the UK since
people would soon get used to them? It doesn't work that way. There
are specific characteristics of bendy buses which cause specific
problems in specific circumstances, and the buses appear to have been
introduced without thought to these problems, which is one reason
there is pressure to remove them from the centre of London. Another
reason is foolish nostalgia, of course, but that does not nullify the
tangible problems they cause.

I think there are credible reasons for removing them from some
routes. *I am not the only one to think this. *Which indicates to me

Some routes yes, where they simply don't fit. But not to get rid of them
altogether.

I think that's what I said.
--
Guy

[email protected] July 28th 09 04:03 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

In article
,

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

[...]

As a regular cyclist in London who also avoids bendybuses as much as I can
I have to say I wouldn't cycle round Hyde Park Corner unless I absolutely
had to. Multi-lane road layouts like that don't need bendybuses to make
them lethal for cyclists.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Tom Anderson July 28th 09 04:08 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rearends round our corners for the final time.

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, Lucas wrote:

That's certainly what your candidate of choice seems to believe.

(more seriously, it probably is true that although the bendy 25 is a
very good bus for Whitechapel Road, it's less good for outer parts of
Newham. Similarly, the 29's bendy capacity is needed between Warren
Street and Manor House, but again a decker with more seats and less
total capacity would be better once you get to Wood Green.)

The 29 is awfully busy along the whole route I feel, even after Manor
House it stays incredibly busy; and gets busier even because of the
big gap between Manor House and Turnpike Lane tube stations that is
Harringay.
The problem is simply Green Lanes itself which is ridiculously
congested and always the slowest part of the route, but I can't think
of much of an alternative, given that the only parallel road is also
quite busy (Wightman Rd)

Fit them with amphibious gear and steam up the New River.

tom

--
There's no future.

Tom Anderson July 28th 09 04:16 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rearends round our corners for the final time.

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, James Farrar wrote:

Offramp wrote in news:603ac8ce-e923-4513-acbe-
:

On 24 July, 23:41, Richard

I feel unusually annoyed about this... They are some of the best buses
ever to be used in London or anywhere else, in my controversial
opinion.

I agree entirely. I think it is odd and very wrong that one man's
fatwa could get rid of them.

He's the Mayor; we elected him.

I bloody well didn't.

Axe Greater London, i say. Let's have a mayor of London elected by people
who live in London, not some transcluded home counties buffoons who mostly
still insist that they live in 'Metropolitan Kent' or some such nonsense.

Er, ObTransport: trains! Aren't they great?

tom

--
There's no future.

Marc[_2_] July 28th 09 04:52 PM

wrote:
Do you cycle much in
central London? I'm not the only cyclist to find bendy buses to be
disproportionately problematic.

I'm sure I'm not the only London road user to find cyclists to be
disproportionately problematic.

It is difficult to imagine a group of road users who are more
anti-social, showing, as so many do, scant regard for the Highway Code
and complete contempt for other road users, especially pedestrians.

No it's not difficult at all!

Van drivers
Lorry drivers
Bus drivers
Taxi drivers
Private hire drivers
Postmen driving vans
Police drivers

I have witnessed all of the above show "scant regard for the highway
code, and complete contempt for other road users, especially pedestrians."

This afternoon I drove 3 miles on B and A roads then 3 miles on A dual
carriage way then X miles on the motorway and then 4 miles on A and B roads.

I saw....

at least 2 vans ( that I can remember) parked on pavements.
1 lorry mount a kerb a corner
1 bus splash pedestrians
1 taxi driver stopping on the zigzags of a zebra crossing
1 Private hire vehicle turning right at a "Buses only" right turn rather
then going around the roundabout.
1 post man parken on a brow of hill
1 police car in a yellow box junction.

Want a score tomorrow?

Marc[_2_] July 28th 09 05:05 PM

wrote:

Do you cycle much in central London? I'm not the only cyclist to find
bendy buses to be disproportionately problematic.

I'm sure I'm not the only London road user to find cyclists to be
disproportionately problematic.

It is difficult to imagine a group of road users who are more
anti-social, showing, as so many do, scant regard for the Highway Code
and complete contempt for other road users, especially pedestrians.

I'd be veryr interested to hear why you don't consider cabbies to be
road users.

Outside of London I consider them barely human.

Daniel Barlow[_2_] July 28th 09 05:06 PM

Marc writes:

Bruce wrote:
It is difficult to imagine a group of road users who are more
anti-social, showing, as so many do, scant regard for the Highway Code
and complete contempt for other road users, especially pedestrians.

No it's not difficult at all!

Van drivers
Lorry drivers
Bus drivers
Taxi drivers
Private hire drivers
Postmen driving vans
Police drivers

and pretty much anyone at all on the A10 between Kingsland and the North
Circ.

-dan

Marc[_2_] July 28th 09 05:56 PM

wrote:
[...]

Taxi driver outside my house sounding his horn whilst stationary and no
other road user in sight....

BIG_ONE July 28th 09 07:13 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:00:56 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

The great joy of London is that it's a human-scale city, you can walk
from St Paul's the the National Gallery, wander round for a couple of
hours then walk on to the West End for a show. Bendy buses are out of
scale, designed for a Continental model which Wren, Hooke and others
failed to have applied to London after the fire.

You bloody what? When you say 'Continental', is the continent in question
North America, or have you just lost your marbles? Or, perhaps, never been
to a European city?

tom

I understood him to mean a European city such as Paris (where I am
now) with it's long straight & comparatively broad streets (boulevards
& such like)

BIG_ONE July 28th 09 07:16 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

Bruce wrote:

I write complete, over-emotive nonsense.

yea plonk

Tom Barry July 28th 09 07:19 PM

bod43 wrote:

I have commuted daily by bus on a bendy route and
they have approximately zero seats. I think that this may
have figured into the calculation to phase them out.

Tommyrot.

Old 507 bendy - 441 seats across 9 buses (49 per bus, 2.04 standees per
seat)
New 507 rigid - 315 seats across 15 buses (21 per bus, 3.6 standees per
seat)

[the reason being to keep the extra cost down to a mere £214k per annum
- obviously you could have gone on adding buses, drivers and taking more
roadspace but it would just become even more ridiculous than it already is]

Your point being thus eradicated, kindly go away and have a rethink.
Londoners tend to prefer getting on their form of transport rather than
having a seat, as the experience of the Class 313s on Overground will
attest, not to mention a century or so of underground rail use, which
has evolved vehicles designed for high standee use without anyone
particularly complaining beyond the usual complaints of British people
in cities. Anyway, standee buses on the Red Arrows came in the late
1960s, for much the same reason the bendies came in - high and
increasing peak demand, and you can either propose a better way of
dealing with that or a way to reduce demand or sod off, frankly.

Tom

Tim Woodall July 28th 09 07:23 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rearends round our corners for the final time.

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 15:47:02 +0100,
Tom Barry wrote:

The dreaded 'common sense' of the selfish individual, as expressed by a)
I don't like waiting at traffic lights b) therefore I should be allowed
to ignore them c) therefore I shall arrive at my destination faster d)
therefore the world is a better place.

As opposed to the bendy bus drivers, as expressed by a) I don't like
waiting behind a cyclist b) therefore I should be allowed to ignore them
c) therefore I will turn left across them before I've even got the
articulation of the bus level with them d) therefore the world is a
better place.

One is stupid and puts themselves at risk. The other is reckless and
puts other peoples lives at risk.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/journey/20081212/avi_0002.mpg

Tim.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/

Tim Roll-Pickering July 28th 09 07:36 PM

Tom Anderson wrote:

Axe Greater London, i say. Let's have a mayor of London elected by people
who live in London, not some transcluded home counties buffoons who mostly
still insist that they live in 'Metropolitan Kent' or some such nonsense.

As one who grew up in north east Surrey can I say that Croydon, Sutton and
Kingston are London far more than they are Surrey!

And how would you decide who does and doesn't "live in London" - do I,
living in Forest Gate in Newham, "live in London"? It sure feels that way,
bendy bus & all.

Bruce[_2_] July 28th 09 09:06 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

wrote:

Do you cycle much in central London? I'm not the only cyclist to find
bendy buses to be disproportionately problematic.

I'm sure I'm not the only London road user to find cyclists to be
disproportionately problematic.

It is difficult to imagine a group of road users who are more
anti-social, showing, as so many do, scant regard for the Highway Code
and complete contempt for other road users, especially pedestrians.

I'd be veryr interested to hear why you don't consider cabbies to be road
users.

I apologise. I also excluded motorcyclists, coach drivers, operators
of street cleaning machinery and those brave people who wash
windscreens and sell newspapers and bunches of flowers at traffic
lights. Plus there's Plod, ...

It wasn't intended to be an exhaustive list, just one that would
illustrate the point.

Note how I neatly avoided mentioning ca ... (blue screen)

Bruce[_2_] July 28th 09 09:07 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

wrote:
[...]

No thanks. I'd like a cup of tea, though. ;-)

MIG July 28th 09 09:07 PM

On 28 July, 17:16, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, James Farrar wrote:
Offramp wrote in news:603ac8ce-e923-4513-acbe-
:

On 24 July, 23:41, Richard

I feel unusually annoyed about this... They are some of the best buses
ever to be used in London or anywhere else, in my controversial
opinion.

I agree entirely. I think it is odd and very wrong that one man's
fatwa could get rid of them.

He's the Mayor; we elected him.

I bloody well didn't.

Axe Greater London, i say. Let's have a mayor of London elected by people
who live in London, not some transcluded home counties buffoons who mostly
still insist that they live in 'Metropolitan Kent' or some such nonsense.

The concept of a Mayor is undemocratic and intended to allow unelected
political party officials to override the views of elected council
members (and those they represent) while hiding behind the figurehead
of the Mayor.

Of course, Ken spoiled this for New Labour, but he was pretty much
unique.

Bruce[_2_] July 28th 09 09:17 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

Tom Barry wrote:

The dreaded 'common sense' of the selfish individual, as expressed by a)
I don't like waiting at traffic lights b) therefore I should be allowed
to ignore them c) therefore I shall arrive at my destination faster d)
therefore the world is a better place.

As opposed to the bendy bus drivers, as expressed by a) I don't like
waiting behind a cyclist b) therefore I should be allowed to ignore them
c) therefore I will turn left across them before I've even got the
articulation of the bus level with them d) therefore the world is a
better place.

One is stupid and puts themselves at risk. The other is reckless and
puts other peoples lives at risk.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/journey/20081212/avi_0002.mpg

The bendy bus driver saw you, gave you a wide berth, almost stopped,
and only made the turn when he saw that *you* had stopped. Yes, he
saw you too late, and should have made his turn after allowing you to
clear the side road, but having made a mistake he corrected it and
made the turn safely at no risk to you.

Bruce[_2_] July 28th 09 09:19 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:16:32 +0200, BIG_ONE
wrote:

Bruce wrote:

I write complete, over-emotive nonsense.

yea plonk

Thanks for reminding me to add you to my kill file. ;-)