London Banter

-   -   These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/8761-these-writhing-whales-road-have.html)

Tom Barry July 28th 09 09:25 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rearends round our corners for the final time.

Tom Anderson wrote:

Axe Greater London, i say. Let's have a mayor of London elected by
people who live in London, not some transcluded home counties buffoons
who mostly still insist that they live in 'Metropolitan Kent' or some
such nonsense.

ObLondonFact - the GLC was set up by the Tories including areas which
aren't really London partly because the old LCC basically had an
inherent Labour majority (which is why Labour bitterly opposed the
foundation of the GLC, of course). The GLC was marginal for most of its
existence, as, it seems, is the GLA.

Tom

Tom Barry July 28th 09 09:52 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rearends round our corners for the final time.

Tim Woodall wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 15:47:02 +0100,
Tom Barry wrote:
The dreaded 'common sense' of the selfish individual, as expressed by a)
I don't like waiting at traffic lights b) therefore I should be allowed
to ignore them c) therefore I shall arrive at my destination faster d)
therefore the world is a better place.

As opposed to the bendy bus drivers, as expressed by a) I don't like
waiting behind a cyclist b) therefore I should be allowed to ignore them
c) therefore I will turn left across them before I've even got the
articulation of the bus level with them d) therefore the world is a
better place.

A few facts:

1) No cyclists have ever been killed by a London bendy, as Boris now
admits, although he won't admit that he lied during the campaign about this.
2) Cycling has increased in London quite dramatically (north of 100%
now) *over exactly the same period bendy buses have been operating*
(since 2002), suggesting that people aren't generally being put off by
sharing the few London roads that actually have bendies on.
3) The KSI rate for cyclists in London has stayed remarkably constant
despite far more miles being ridden as cycling has taken off.
4) Bendies can kill people in ways double deckers can't. That there
aren't any examples of this concerning cyclists is very welcome, but
nevertheless I accept the point. However...
5) ...double deckers can kill people in ways bendies can't, and there
*are* examples of this, two in the last year*, which unaccountably don't
get reams of fearmongering coverage in the papers. Odd, that.
Obviously DDs operate more miles than bendies, but that brings us to...
6) ...even by the official TfL statistic of 36% more cyclist collisions
for bendies against rigids, once your replacement rigid service goes
over 36% more mileage you're increasing the risk to cyclists *even using
Boris Johnson's own justification*

Actually, on point 6 the off-peak mileage for the rigid 38, for example,
is the same as the existing service since the frequency is unchanged and
therefore the risk to cyclists off-peak is reduced. Unfortunately, by
the Met's statistics most cyclist road collisions happen at peak times,
as you might expect, so the net effect is likely to be a greater risk at
peak times when there are more potential victims and the full bus PVR is
in operation. I'm sufficiently convinced that the risk isn't so high
as to cause piles of dead cyclists all over London since bus/cyclist
fatalities are thankfully rare in London despite the massive increase in
both bus use and cycling in recent years.

Tom

* http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7410203.stm and
http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/...l/article.html

Ian F. July 28th 09 10:28 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

"Marc" wrote in message

1 lorry mount a kerb a corner
1 bus splash pedestrians
1 taxi driver stopping on the zigzags of a zebra crossing
1 Private hire vehicle turning right at a "Buses only" right turn 1 post
man parken on a brow of hill
1 police car in a yellow box junction.

And a partridge in a pear tree?

;-)

Ian

Colin McKenzie July 28th 09 10:52 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rearends round our corners for the final time.

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 15:59:42 +0100, Tom Barry
wrote:
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Jul 28, 11:10 am, wrote:
Tell me , are british commuter cyclists just particularly incompetant
and/or
stupid compared to european ones who've been living with bendy buses
for years or are you all - what most people suspect is the case -
nothing but a bunch of tedious whingers?

I suggest you try riding a bike round some European city centres some
time. The bus routes in major European cities where bendy buses are
common typically run along broad boulevards which are straight or have
wide, sweeping bends.

What, like the Uxbridge Road, where the 207 bendies will shortly (well,
2011) be replaced by a great many slow-loading single door entry double
deckers like we used to have? RMLs having departed in 1987, it's back
to the Eighties with Boris, then.

As it happens, the 207 is the bendy I encounter most often. There are long
stretches of that route where there isn't room for any bus to overtake a
cyclist safely without crossing the centreline. The longer buses need
longer to pass, meaning there are fewer gaps long enough. Sadly, the
drivers often go for it anyway, and cut or squeeze in.

The longer length gives more opportunity for the bus to move off while a
cyclist is trying to pass, at stops or traffic lights. The extra length is
critical at traffic lights - if the lights start to change at the worst
possible time you can generally get to the front of a rigid before it
moves, but a bendy takes longer to get past. So a bendy at the front of a
queue is an obstacle that cannot be filtered past safely (like an HGV)
whereas a rigid bus can be filtered past safely.

Conclusion: bendy buses make cycle journeys slower and less pleasant. They
may not make them much less safe, but only because cyclists mostly choose
extra delay rather than extra danger.

All that said, if they are a genuine benefit to bus passengers, and there
aren't too many of them, I can live with them. But the drivers need to be
well-trained (including cycle-awareness), and complaints against them need
to be followed up properly.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.

Judith M Smith July 28th 09 11:06 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 04:08:42 -0700 (PDT), "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

snip

I have never seen a bendy bus on Victoria Embankment. I have seen one
around London Wall. I do not ride along Oxford Street at all, it is
impassable. I did see a bendy bus today as I was riding round Hyde
Park Corner - hard to avoid seeing it in fact as it pulled onto the
roundabout straight into my path. And with 18m of bus that left no
option at all but to stop in the middle of a busy roundabout.

I live that the Highway Code recommends getting off the bike and
walking round if you feel unsafe.

Worth considering.
--
Guy Chapman nym-shifted to Lou Knee in order to call someone a ****.
He was caught out by the evidence of the IP address he used.

Ian[_2_] July 29th 09 07:22 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

"bod43" wrote in message
On 28 July, 13:24, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
On Jul 28, 1:15 pm, "Basil Jet"

wrote:
Maybe the bendy routes in London should have been introduced as new
routes
constrained to follow the wider roads, instead of taking over existing
routes like the 73 and expecting bendies to turn from Stoke Newington
Church
St to Albion Road without causing problems.

Yes, that would have been a good idea.

I think that getting rid of them all just because they are used badly
is every bot as foolish as introducing them into routes where they
cause problems.

I have commuted daily by bus on a bendy route and
they have approximately zero seats. I think that this may
have figured into the calculation to phase them out.

Nothing at all to do with them being Ken's busses and not
Boris' I am sure.
===============================

Pure practicalities.

The factors a

Low floor required (for DDA, buggy brigade, etc)
Three axles required therefore six wheel arches, four of which are for twin
wheels, and two of which are for wheels that need room to steer. So wheel
arches extend some way into floor area, and are too tall to mount seats on
top, because of low floor.

Two (at least) and often three doors required - can't put seats there.

Buggy bay and disabled wheelchair bay - can't put seats there, or, if you
do, they will be little folddown ones.

Luggage pen if provided - more seat space lost.

Engine/ cooling/ etc - at back in corner, more seats lost.

The bendy bit - can't put seats there.

A bendybus might only have 45-50 seats, same as a singledeck rigid.

But it can carry a helluva lot more standing passengers than a rigid and
this is the big advantage, so long as the route does not use motorways. (not
many bus routes do so, although some do).

(Similar considerations on seating apply to double deckers, with yet more
seats being lost for space for stairway. A double decker might only have
around 24 seats downstairs, but many more than that on the top deck; you may
as well use a miniDart for the same route if the passenger profile is mostly
OAP who won't go upstairs. Or of they do, it takes them half a day to
clamber up and down, whilst the bus is stationary at a busstop.....Perhaps
they should fit a Stannah Stair Lift to doubledeckers....)

Hope that clarifies why bendies don't have many seats.

Ian[_2_] July 29th 09 07:29 AM

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Jul 28, 11:10 am, wrote:

Tell me , are british commuter cyclists just particularly incompetant
and/or
stupid compared to european ones who've been living with bendy buses
for years or are you all - what most people suspect is the case - nothing
but
a bunch of tedious whingers?

I suggest you try riding a bike round some European city centres some
time. The bus routes in major European cities where bendy buses are
common typically run along broad boulevards which are straight or have
wide, sweeping bends. The narrow, twisty streets of London are one of
the main reasons the late lamented Routemaster was originally
developed.
--
Guy

====================

Good idea..... you might meet up with some of these...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-articulated_bus

Two bendy bits per bus!!! Think yourself lucky in UK, with only one bendy
bit!

:o)

Colin McKenzie July 29th 09 08:00 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rearends round our corners for the final time.

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:59:36 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:
In message , at 22:39:11 on
Mon, 27 Jul 2009, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
remarked:
Note also that female cyclists are disproportionately involved in
these LGV crushing incidents. It's likely that this is because they
are less assertive on the road and more likely to ride too close to
the edge. There is a big difference between riding defensively and
riding timidly.

Without wishing to start a huge sexist debate, it's well known that
females have less well developed spatial awareness. (It's because the
males developed this in order to be successful hunters, which the
females don't generally have to do).

But overall, female cyclists have fewer casualties than male. It's just
with HGVs that they seem to be more at risk.

Colin McKenzie

Roland Perry July 29th 09 08:04 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

In message , at 08:29:54 on Wed, 29
Jul 2009, Ian remarked:

They have those in Geneva. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/25005195

Ian F. July 29th 09 08:16 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message

I suspect the major difference between London bendy buses and their
european counterparts is the standard of driver training.

Our drivers here are trained? Are you sure?

Ian

Ian[_2_] July 29th 09 08:20 AM

"Ian F." wrote in message
"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message

I suspect the major difference between London bendy buses and their
european counterparts is the standard of driver training.

Our drivers here are trained? Are you sure?

Ian

Probably much more thoroughly than most cyclists are trained.

Ian.

Daniel Barlow[_2_] July 29th 09 08:32 AM

"Ian" writes:

"Ian F." wrote in message
"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message

I suspect the major difference between London bendy buses and their
european counterparts is the standard of driver training.

Our drivers here are trained? Are you sure?

Ian

Probably much more thoroughly than most cyclists are trained.

Cyclists are allowed to drive buses without training? That sounds like
a recipe for disaster

-dan

Just zis Guy, you know? July 29th 09 08:54 AM

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:29:54 +0100, "Ian" wrote:

I suggest you try riding a bike round some European city centres some
time. The bus routes in major European cities where bendy buses are
common typically run along broad boulevards which are straight or have
wide, sweeping bends. The narrow, twisty streets of London are one of
the main reasons the late lamented Routemaster was originally
developed.

Good idea..... you might meet up with some of these...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-articulated_bus
Two bendy bits per bus!!! Think yourself lucky in UK, with only one bendy
bit!

Seen those in Switzerland (Geneva and I think maybe also Zurich). The
trams are the ones to watch out for there, though. Or rather the tram
lines: it takes a little while to work out how to handle tram lines
and lanes the first time you encounter them.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? July 29th 09 08:55 AM

wrote:

Note also that female cyclists are disproportionately involved in
these LGV crushing incidents. It's likely that this is because they
are less assertive on the road and more likely to ride too close to
the edge. There is a big difference between riding defensively and
riding timidly.

Without wishing to start a huge sexist debate, it's well known that
females have less well developed spatial awareness. (It's because the
males developed this in order to be successful hunters, which the
females don't generally have to do).

I think it's more down to the assertiveness of riding, and tendency to
hug the kerb, but I am only speculating.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

[email protected] July 29th 09 08:56 AM

"Ian" wrote:
Good idea..... you might meet up with some of these...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-articulated_bus

Two bendy bits per bus!!! Think yourself lucky in UK, with only one bendy
bit!

As ever the europeans are light years ahead of us in public transport.

B2003

Just zis Guy, you know? July 29th 09 09:01 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:55:02 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Of course, the greater length, articulation and the rear section's
self-steering system make it different, but those differences are

They don't self steer, they follow a curve. Simple geometry which even
cyclists could understand if they bothered to try. Also the cut in on
a bendy bus rear section going around a corner is a shed load less than
on an HGV.

Are you being rude and patronising just for effect? I used to park
36ft rigid trucks in a car storage yard, reversing down a lane with
less than 3ft either side and brand new unregistered Jaguars one side
and brand new unregistered Porsches the other. I am pretty good at
knowing the handling and manoeuvring characteristics of various
vehicles. You should watch some time the back end of a bendy bus when
the driver changes lanes: it swings in remarkably sharply, and because
the thing is so long your options for dealing with it are pretty much
limited to braking sharply. This is simply not the case for most
other vehicles. The usual method of controlling risk from overtaking
drivers, which is road position, simply doesn't work.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? July 29th 09 09:14 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:52:00 +0100, Marc
wrote:

No it's not difficult at all!

Van drivers
Lorry drivers
Bus drivers
Taxi drivers
Private hire drivers
Postmen driving vans
Police drivers

I have witnessed all of the above show "scant regard for the highway
code, and complete contempt for other road users, especially pedestrians."

Frankly you can include all road users in there, even the pedestrians
themselves. I don't know of any group of road users which is
characterised by obedience to all the rules. And if you think London
cyclists are a rabble you should see Copenhagen some time!

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

[email protected] July 29th 09 09:19 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:22:48 +0100
"Ian" wrote:
(Similar considerations on seating apply to double deckers, with yet more
seats being lost for space for stairway. A double decker might only have
around 24 seats downstairs, but many more than that on the top deck; you may

Something that people forget is that the back of top deck of double deckers
is unusable during the times kids are travelling to school because the little
sods all congregate there and cause mayhem. For whatever psychological reason
they don't cause so much trouble on the lower deck or on single deckers
including bendy buses. Also the top deck is unusable for anyone infirm or
disabled and gets unpleasently hot anyway in the summer sun. Personally
I can't stand the things and its not hard to see why they're not that
common around the world in city transport systems.

B2003

Roland Perry July 29th 09 09:26 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

In message op.uxtkitu9by8eno@sheepdog, at 09:00:19 on Wed, 29 Jul
2009, Colin McKenzie remarked:
Without wishing to start a huge sexist debate, it's well known that
females have less well developed spatial awareness. (It's because the
males developed this in order to be successful hunters, which the
females don't generally have to do).

But overall, female cyclists have fewer casualties than male. It's just
with HGVs that they seem to be more at risk.

Which seems to show that while they are more cautious generally, they
don't have the spatial awareness to implement that quite as effectively,
near HGVs.

Mr Benn July 29th 09 09:27 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

Frankly you can include all road users in there, even the pedestrians
themselves. I don't know of any group of road users which is
characterised by obedience to all the rules. And if you think London
cyclists are a rabble you should see Copenhagen some time!

Cyclists in Copenhagen are angels compared to the ones I have seen in
Beijing and Shanghai. However, they get beaten by cyclists in Caracas and
Fortaleza, not to mention Santiago.

[email protected] July 29th 09 09:28 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:01:31 +0100
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
They don't self steer, they follow a curve. Simple geometry which even
cyclists could understand if they bothered to try. Also the cut in on
a bendy bus rear section going around a corner is a shed load less than
on an HGV.

Are you being rude and patronising just for effect? I used to park

So which part of "they follow a curve", "simple geometry" and "cut in less than
an HGV" is wrong then?

36ft rigid trucks in a car storage yard, reversing down a lane with
less than 3ft either side and brand new unregistered Jaguars one side

Bully for you.

And?

and brand new unregistered Porsches the other. I am pretty good at
knowing the handling and manoeuvring characteristics of various
vehicles. You should watch some time the back end of a bendy bus when
the driver changes lanes: it swings in remarkably sharply, and because

What , suddenly the laws of physics change and it doesn't follow the
expected curve?

the thing is so long your options for dealing with it are pretty much
limited to braking sharply. This is simply not the case for most

Or you could see that its coming and not get yourself into an awkward
situation in the first place. But hey, that would just be common sense,
something cyclists don't seem to be heavily endowed with...

B2003

Roland Perry July 29th 09 09:29 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

In message , at 10:14:55 on
Wed, 29 Jul 2009, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
remarked:
And if you think London
cyclists are a rabble you should see Copenhagen some time!

Amsterdam's the worst I've encountered. The cyclists plough through
anything and everything regardless. Being a pedestrian is fraught with
danger! And more so because cycles claim absolute priority at junctions
on shared pathways.

Bruce[_2_] July 29th 09 09:58 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

wrote:

No it's not difficult at all!

Van drivers
Lorry drivers
Bus drivers
Taxi drivers
Private hire drivers
Postmen driving vans
Police drivers

I have witnessed all of the above show "scant regard for the highway
code, and complete contempt for other road users, especially pedestrians."

Frankly you can include all road users in there, even the pedestrians
themselves. I don't know of any group of road users which is
characterised by obedience to all the rules. And if you think London
cyclists are a rabble you should see Copenhagen some time!

Funny, because on a recent trip to Denmark I drove my hire car
extensively in and around Copenhagen, and found that the Danish
cyclists were remarkably well-disciplined. Certainly nothing like the
over-assertive and arrogantly rule-breaking cyclists that make London
driving so chaotic and stressful.

Daniel Barlow[_2_] July 29th 09 10:33 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

writes:

As a regular cyclist in London who also avoids bendybuses as much as I can
I have to say I wouldn't cycle round Hyde Park Corner unless I absolutely
had to. Multi-lane road layouts like that don't need bendybuses to make
them lethal for cyclists.

Do yuo have accident stats for that, or is it personal perception? I
have no trouble with that junction, and it's definitely quicker going
around it with the other traffic than it is to wait for the
cycle/ped/horse crossing through the centre.

-dan

Just zis Guy, you know? July 29th 09 10:40 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:00:56 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

You bloody what? When you say 'Continental', is the continent in question
North America, or have you just lost your marbles? Or, perhaps, never been
to a European city?

No, you're right, I've never been to a European city. Apart from
Brussels. And Amsterdam. And Antwerp, Duffel, Mechelen, den Bosch,
Charleroi, Leuven, Köln, Dusseldorf, Paris, Copenhagen, Stockholm,
Madrid, Milan and a few others I can't remember off the top of my
head.

I'm sure there are mediaeval towns in Europe with narrow, winding
streets. I don't know how many of these use bendy buses. I do know
that the squabble over property rights after the fire more or less put
the kibosh on widening the road in London more than a modest amount,
and this is acknowledged by Buchanan as a problem in London
particularly.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? July 29th 09 10:52 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:28:01 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

So which part of "they follow a curve", "simple geometry" and "cut in less than
an HGV" is wrong then?

The articulation and other characteristics result in the tail moving
in much more sharply than is the case for, say, articulated lorries.
Plus a Class 1 driver tends to be more aware of that in the first
place and not drive as if the vehicle is only as long as the front
half.
the thing is so long your options for dealing with it are pretty much
limited to braking sharply. This is simply not the case for most

Or you could see that its coming and not get yourself into an awkward
situation in the first place. But hey, that would just be common sense,
something cyclists don't seem to be heavily endowed with...

For values of "see it coming" that require rear-facing eyes and values
of "awkward position" that include riding along a road minding your
own business.

But hey, I can see that you're not interested in acknowledging any
possible problems with bendy buses. I think that was the problem with
the woman from transport whatnot, too: if you determinedly write off
all criticism as being invalid, then of course you will see no valid
criticism.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? July 29th 09 10:55 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 10:58:25 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

Funny, because on a recent trip to Denmark I drove my hire car
extensively in and around Copenhagen, and found that the Danish
cyclists were remarkably well-disciplined. Certainly nothing like the
over-assertive and arrogantly rule-breaking cyclists that make London
driving so chaotic and stressful.

You obviously drive in a different London to the one I work in. London
driving is chaotic and stressful mainly because of motor traffic
(especially scooters). Cyclists are a non-issue, they are generally
off and out of the way long before the motor gridlock eases enough to
permit of another six feet of forward movement. I learned to drive in
London, round Shepherd's Bush.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Brimstone[_7_] July 29th 09 11:29 AM

wrote:

Funny, because on a recent trip to Denmark I drove my hire car
extensively in and around Copenhagen, and found that the Danish
cyclists were remarkably well-disciplined. Certainly nothing like
the over-assertive and arrogantly rule-breaking cyclists that make
London driving so chaotic and stressful.

You obviously drive in a different London to the one I work in. London
driving is chaotic and stressful mainly because of motor traffic
(especially scooters). Cyclists are a non-issue, they are generally
off and out of the way long before the motor gridlock eases enough to
permit of another six feet of forward movement. I learned to drive in
London, round Shepherd's Bush.

On the thankfully rare occasiosn that I've driven in London recently those
on two wheels are simply not an issue. The only road users who cause
problems for others are those who are not taking notice of what's going on
around them, and that's not peculiar to London.

Bruce[_2_] July 29th 09 11:30 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:52:28 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

The articulation and other characteristics result in the tail moving
in much more sharply than is the case for, say, articulated lorries.

Rubbish. The steering is arranged to reduce cut in. In other words,
to make it cut in far less sharply than an articulated lorry.

You seem to have a grave misunderstanding of the dynamics of a bendy
bus. The fact that it hardly cuts in compared to an articulated lorry
should make it far easier to deal with. Not for you, obviously. ;-)

Bruce[_2_] July 29th 09 11:30 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear

wrote:

Funny, because on a recent trip to Denmark I drove my hire car
extensively in and around Copenhagen, and found that the Danish
cyclists were remarkably well-disciplined. Certainly nothing like the
over-assertive and arrogantly rule-breaking cyclists that make London
driving so chaotic and stressful.

You obviously drive in a different London to the one I work in.

I think you live on a different planet to the rest of us.

Just zis Guy, you know? July 29th 09 11:35 AM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:30:07 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

The articulation and other characteristics result in the tail moving
in much more sharply than is the case for, say, articulated lorries.

Rubbish. The steering is arranged to reduce cut in. In other words,
to make it cut in far less sharply than an articulated lorry.

That's not how it looks to cyclists overtaken by them. Perhaps the
drivers overcompensate by moving in when only the front wheel is past,
I don't know - I'm too busy avoiding being wiped out. This is not a
problem I *ever* have with artics, but then artic drivers tend to wait
until the entire vehicle is past before they even start to pull in.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Tim Roll-Pickering July 29th 09 11:44 AM

Tom Barry wrote:

ObLondonFact - the GLC was set up by the Tories including areas which
aren't really London partly because the old LCC basically had an inherent
Labour majority (which is why Labour bitterly opposed the foundation of
the GLC, of course).

In part, but London had significantly expanded since 1888 and the boundaries
had not been adjusted to catch up. Defining what is and isn't "really
London" is always a mess but there were certainly key parts that were not in
the LCC boundaries (e.g. modern day Newham). Calls for an overhaul and
expansion of London local government had been made for ages and from sources
outside the London Conservatives.

The GLC was marginal for most of its existence, as, it seems, is the GLA.

The GLC's basic problem was that it didn't have a great deal of
responsibilities that really justified its existence. Here's the list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...of_functio ns

The GLC controlled:

* Fire
* Ambulance
* Refuse disposal
* Land drainage
* Smallholdings
* Thames flood preventions
* Motor-vehicle and driving licences
* Education in Inner London only

The GLC and borough councils had joint responsibility for:

* Roads
* Planning
* Housing
* Sewage
* Traffic

Whilst boroughs controlled:

* Personal health services
* Welfare services
* Children's services
* Libraries
* Refuse collection
* Swimming baths
* Weights and measures
* Food and drugs
* Public health inspection
* Cemeteries and crematoriums
* Collection of rates
* Education in Outer London only

This is quite a different distribution of powers from the district/county
council model and so the result was that the GLC cost an awful lot and
didn't really give a great deal back to Londoners. As a result London
borough councils (of all parties) resented it and many called for its
abolition almost throughout its history. Horace Cutler, GLC Leader 1977-1981
(another sceptic of the GLC's existence), commissioned the Marshall Enquiry
into the the GLC's future and the enquiry only narrowly failed to recommend
abolition (and Ken Livingstone publicly criticised it for this). It's now
become an entrenched myth that Thatcher abolished the GLC purely because of
Livingstone, but it would have been abolished anyway because of the
opposition of borough councils and the limited services it provided.

Basil Jet July 29th 09 12:17 PM

Colin McKenzie wrote:

But overall, female cyclists have fewer casualties than male. It's
just with HGVs that they seem to be more at risk.

I'm sure Jeremy Clarkson would have an opinion on that...

Bruce[_2_] July 29th 09 12:21 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

wrote:

The articulation and other characteristics result in the tail moving
in much more sharply than is the case for, say, articulated lorries.

Rubbish. The steering is arranged to reduce cut in. In other words,
to make it cut in far less sharply than an articulated lorry.

That's not how it looks to cyclists overtaken by them.

Well, that's how it is. If it looks different to you, you must have a
problem with perception.

At the very least, you should re-educate yourself as to how bendy
buses work, in particular how they negotiate bends in the road,
because your faulty perception may be putting you at greater risk.

I don't ride a bicycle any more, but I do ride a motorbike, and as
with any two wheeled vehicle, defensive riding is the order of the
day. A fundamental part of defensive riding is developing a keen
awareness of the very different dynamics of the other vehicles you
share the road with. Your life depends on it.

A bendy bus is a very different animal to a non-articulated bus and it
is also very different to an articulated lorry. Overall, it is
better to be around than either of those.

That's because there are fewer bendy buses than there would be
conventional buses on the same route, so fewer hazards - but different
hazards, which do require some learning. Bendy buses also cut in far
less than articulated lorries, so much less of a hazard when it comes
to getting trapped.

It's too easy to moan and whine about bendy buses. It takes a little
effort to learn how best to deal with them, as with anything new. But
the statistics are pretty clear - bendy buses are not only extremely
effective at moving large numbers of passengers, but they are also
very safe.

eastender[_3_] July 29th 09 12:31 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

In article ,
Bruce wrote:

It's too easy to moan and whine about bendy buses. It takes a little
effort to learn how best to deal with them, as with anything new. But
the statistics are pretty clear - bendy buses are not only extremely
effective at moving large numbers of passengers, but they are also
very safe.

Well said. I think no cyclist has been killed (and possibly seriously
injured) by a bendy. The three ghost bikes near where I live were all
victims of trucks such as cement mixers.

I wouldn't mind the bendies going so much if the alternatives were quiet
(inside and out), comfortable, smooth and relatively fume free. They
aren't, so the bendy going is a big backwards step.

E.

Just zis Guy, you know? July 29th 09 12:45 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:21:13 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

If it looks different to you, you must have a
problem with perception.

Which I seem to share with many other cyclists. So, given that I am a
very experienced cyclist and also a driver with significant experience
of driving goods vehicles, perhaps it's not just me. But that would
involve being open to the possibility that bendy buses may not be
appropriate for some routes in central London, and I do understand
that such heresy is not to be tolerated.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

[email protected] July 29th 09 01:17 PM

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
The articulation and other characteristics result in the tail moving
in much more sharply than is the case for, say, articulated lorries.

FFS , it has the same ratio of front to back section as van, car or rigid
pulling a trailer. And the tail doesn't "move in sharply". It moves in in
exactly the way anyone with more than a single braincell would expect it to do.
I've ridden on enough of them when I used to work in central london to know.

But hey, I can see that you're not interested in acknowledging any
possible problems with bendy buses. I think that was the problem with

The only problems are the poor drivers. Theres nothing wrong with the
bus itself. Its an articulated vehicle, nothing more.

B2003

Bruce[_2_] July 29th 09 01:24 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:31:14 +0100, eastender
wrote:
In article ,
Bruce wrote:

It's too easy to moan and whine about bendy buses. It takes a little
effort to learn how best to deal with them, as with anything new. But
the statistics are pretty clear - bendy buses are not only extremely
effective at moving large numbers of passengers, but they are also
very safe.

Well said. I think no cyclist has been killed (and possibly seriously
injured) by a bendy. The three ghost bikes near where I live were all
victims of trucks such as cement mixers.

I wouldn't mind the bendies going so much if the alternatives were quiet
(inside and out), comfortable, smooth and relatively fume free. They
aren't, so the bendy going is a big backwards step.

Agree 100%. They aren't perfect by any means, and such aspects as
driving standards and fare dodging could definitely be improved. But
the alternative of more conventional buses with their greater dwell
times, costing more and clogging up the traffic far worse than the
bendys is just too silly to contemplate, unless your name is Boris.

Bruce[_2_] July 29th 09 01:25 PM

These writhing whales of the road have swung their hefty rear ends round our corners for the final time.

wrote:

If it looks different to you, you must have a
problem with perception.

Which I seem to share with many other cyclists.

I am sure there are a great many cyclists who have absolutely no
intention of learning how best to share the road with bendy buses.

Basil Jet July 29th 09 01:39 PM

Ian F. wrote:
"Phil W Lee" phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote in message

I suspect the major difference between London bendy buses and their
european counterparts is the standard of driver training.

Our drivers here are trained? Are you sure?

I find the standard of bendibus driving to be fine... I assume that only the
best drivers are allowed to drive them. It's the driving of the other buses
that disappoints.