Old October 21st 03, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Tim is offline

Default Brompton Folding Bike on Tubes

Could anyone tell me whether it's OK to take a Brompton (folded) on tube
trains, including at peak times?

Old October 21st 03, 12:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tim" typed

Could anyone tell me whether it's OK to take a Brompton (folded) on tube
trains, including at peak times?

Yes, it's OK, folded.

It's quite a heavy lump though and the little wheels on the carrier
aren't too helpful IME.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 21st 03, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:40:20 +0100, Tim wrote:

Could anyone tell me whether it's OK to take a Brompton (folded) on tube
trains, including at peak times?

Yes, it's officially allowed. However, when doing so I have had some stick
from LU staff, including one guy at Paddington (Bakerloo) I think, who said
on the PA system when I was quite legitimately boarding a train with a
folded Brompton "Could the man who has just boarded the southbound service
get out at the next station as bicycles are not permitted on the Bakerloo
line". Needless to say, I didn't.

Be confident, know that you are right, and if that doesn't work just put it
in a bag before entering the network. It's then just luggage and there are
no rules (save common sense) about that.
--
Tom Sutch
Old October 22nd 03, 01:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:12:23 +0000, Tom Sutch wrote:
Be confident, know that you are right, and if that doesn't work just put it
in a bag before entering the network. It's then just luggage and there are
no rules (save common sense) about that.

What would they do with a person with a real bike? Aside from stopping at
the gates (Most LU staff I've seen are too busy gossiping to notice),
what would they do?

As for luggage. Take a real bike, wrap a sheet round it and call it a
suitcase, what's the difference?
Old October 22nd 03, 06:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

"Tom Sutch" wrote in message
news
[...]

There are quite specific rules about luggage and what can be taken on the
underground.
Take a look at:
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/about/COC.pdf
Section 11

You can also look at the Conditions of Carriage booklet issued to all staff
and IIRC ,COC are also shown in the Fares and Tickets booklet.

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto

Old October 22nd 03, 06:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:12:23 +0000, Tom Sutch wrote:
Be confident, know that you are right, and if that doesn't work just put

it
in a bag before entering the network. It's then just luggage and there

are
no rules (save common sense) about that.

What would they do with a person with a real bike? Aside from stopping at
the gates (Most LU staff I've seen are too busy gossiping to notice),
what would they do?

The Train Operator would be well within his/her rights (outside the
specified times and on wrong sections of the line) to ask you to leave the
train.

--
Kat in Downtown Toronto

Old October 22nd 03, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Weaver
writes
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:12:23 +0000, Tom Sutch wrote:
Be confident, know that you are right, and if that doesn't work just put it
in a bag before entering the network. It's then just luggage and there are
no rules (save common sense) about that.

As a Brompton in its cover isn't obviously a bike at all; it just looks
like a large "something". I've never actually taken mine on a tube
train (though I've always *meant* to) but I'd certainly cover it, if
only to avoid getting such stick from passengers (and staff,
apparently!).

(That said, I did once get asked to leave a Midland Metro tram with mine
but they relented when I started quoting the rules to them *and*
produced a paper copy of an e-mail from customer services confirming
that folding bikes were permitted. It was quite funny, actually!)

What would they do with a person with a real bike? Aside from stopping at
the gates (Most LU staff I've seen are too busy gossiping to notice),
what would they do?

As for luggage. Take a real bike, wrap a sheet round it and call it a
suitcase, what's the difference?

Ahem! Are you implying by any chance that a Brompton is not a "real"
bike?! ;-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old October 22nd 03, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Kat
writes

The Train Operator would be well within his/her rights (outside the
specified times and on wrong sections of the line) to ask you to leave the
train.

And frequently do - In fact I did today :-)

I never do with a Brompton though as they are specifically allowed.
Old October 22nd 03, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" typed

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Kat
writes

The Train Operator would be well within his/her rights (outside the
specified times and on wrong sections of the line) to ask you to leave

the
train.

And frequently do - In fact I did today :-)

I never do with a Brompton though as they are specifically allowed.

I once allowed someone down onto the platform with an unfolded Brompton
because he assured me he could fold it before an incoming train had opened
its doors; and he could too!
They are quite amazing bikes but pretty pricey I think...

Yebbut worth it. Resale value is high too. I had one (gave it to my
nephew when my MS stopped me riding) and have recommended them to
another poster on this thread...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 22nd 03, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Helen Deborah Vecht
writes
"Kat" typed

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Kat
writes

The Train Operator would be well within his/her rights (outside the
specified times and on wrong sections of the line) to ask you to leave

the
train.

And frequently do - In fact I did today :-)

I never do with a Brompton though as they are specifically allowed.

I once allowed someone down onto the platform with an unfolded Brompton
because he assured me he could fold it before an incoming train had opened
its doors; and he could too!
They are quite amazing bikes but pretty pricey I think...

Yebbut worth it.

I'll second that. It's better than some types of "proper" [1] bike.

[1] Not my words!