Old July 30th 09, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Class 378 in service

The concept is the same as DLR - i.e. the guard is in control of one
doorway (i.e. two door leaves that slide across). From what I saw today
the guard stepped out on to the platform to ensure the other doors where
clear before initiating the door close process. Once the other doors are
closed he then steps into the train and closes the one remaining doorway
where his control panel is. If you've seen what happens with DLR then
you've seen what is happening with the 378s. Sorry for confusing doors
with the bits that actually slide across the opening!

Indeed, trains with guards are much slower at station stops than DOO
services. So why don't we just tell the RMT to get stuffed, convert to
DOO and keep the existing guards on board to check tickets and stuff.

Old July 30th 09, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:06:18 +0100, Commuter
wrote:
The concept is the same as DLR - i.e. the guard is in control of one
doorway (i.e. two door leaves that slide across). From what I saw today
the guard stepped out on to the platform to ensure the other doors where
clear before initiating the door close process. Once the other doors are
closed he then steps into the train and closes the one remaining doorway
where his control panel is. If you've seen what happens with DLR then
you've seen what is happening with the 378s. Sorry for confusing doors
with the bits that actually slide across the opening!

Indeed, trains with guards are much slower at station stops than DOO
services. So why don't we just tell the RMT to get stuffed, convert to
DOO and keep the existing guards on board to check tickets and stuff.

But they won't. The guards will just hide in their cabs.

I suppose it is better to have them pushing door buttons than doing
nothing.

Old July 30th 09, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 29 July, 19:09, Paul Corfield wrote:
The fact one pair of doors is open while the guard
shuts the others just means people dash and plead with the guard to be
allowed on - this certainly happened with the lunchtime trip I saw at
Highbury where there is a constant stream of passengers.

I have, in the past, turned up just in the nick of time for an
Oveground train, and arrived on the platform just after the guard shut
the doors. I was pleasantly surprised to be allowed to get on through
the guard's compartment, and then into the main saloon[1].
Admittedly, it wasn't at rush hour, when I can see this being a little
less likely to happen.

[1] From the list of "words that rarely get used outside railway-
speak". see also 'vestibule'.
Old July 30th 09, 01:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Jul 30, 2:17*pm, Martin Deutsch wrote:

I have, in the past, turned up just in the nick of time for an
Oveground train, and arrived on the platform just after the guard shut
the doors. I was pleasantly surprised to be allowed to get on through
the guard's compartment, and then into the main saloon[1].
Admittedly, it wasn't at rush hour, when I can see this being a little
less likely to happen.

Common practice on Merseyrail at one point, though I don't know if it
is now. When I was getting the train to/from school, if someone came
running at the last minute at Ormskirk the guard would often give a
single bell to stop the train even if it had started and allow such
boarding to take place.

Neil
Old July 30th 09, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

the ceiling feels low compared to a 313

Flipping 'eck! I thought the 313s were already low enough!

Presumably that's where the airconditioning goes?

Old July 30th 09, 07:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jul 30, 7:22*pm, Richard wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:49:18 -0500,
wrote:

In article ,
(Gavin Hamilton) wrote:

Was impressed by the quick door release on the 365 at Kings Cross -
unlike the usual long wait on a London Midland 321 or 350.

Or on a SWT Desiro.

One of the 365's best features. You can hold the Open button pressed as
the train rolls to a stand and it will open almost instantly after it
stops and in any case when the doors are released.

(SWT's) Desiros *do* work that way, although it is often quite a long
time before the doors are released, some guards preferring to open
their own door and have a look up and down the platform first. Perhaps
doing all this from one of the cabs would be better (can they use an
intermediate cab?)

The same is true with the LM Desiros, although the wait is normally so
long that people remove their finger!! The 'rules' on LM state that
the conductor must open their door first to check the position of
train in the platform, hence the delay. I don't know why this rule has
come in, as it certainly adds to the overall journey time without any
major safety advantage over the conductor 'knowing' the train and
platform length from memory. LM conductors can and do use the
intermediate cab doors for operating the doors.

Even better, Swiss-style, accept a push of the button any time as the
train is coming to a stop and open the doors "automatically" upon
arrival...

That would be a good idea too.