Old October 23rd 03, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Help!!!! What happens now! Buying ticket from ticket tout

Barry Salter wrote:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:48:10 -0700, "Kat" wrote:

"Robin May" wrote in message

Bus revenue inspectors I've come accross have been much less bothered.
I was on a bus the other day and a revenue inspector asked to see my
ticket. I showed him my oystercard and that was him satisfied even
though he had no way of knowing what ticket was on it.

You're supposed to carry your record-card with the ticket I believe.

Actually, you don't have to, though you won't get a Gold Card discount
on National Rail without it. And if you renew online you don't get a new
record card anyway.

I renewed at the card-only ticket machine at London Bridge, pressed
for a receipt and didn't get one!

--
James Farrar |
London, SE13 |

Old October 23rd 03, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:59:37 +0100, James Farrar
wrote:

I renewed at the card-only ticket machine at London Bridge, pressed
for a receipt and didn't get one!

IMO, the default when paying by credit card in every case should be to
issue a receipt, with an option *not* to do so. To do otherwise is to
display a cavalier attitude towards credit card fraud, and for the
cardholder it makes it much more difficult to prove (if doubted) a
dodgy transaction.

You shouldn't have to display lightning-fast reactions (as you do at
some ticket machines) to get something to which you should be entitled
as a matter of course.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old October 23rd 03, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt writes:

You're supposed to carry your record-card with the ticket I believe.

Which if you renew online you don't get. Are we supposed to carry an A4
printout of the website receipt everywhere we go now?

The station staff told me to keep the record card in a safe place
seperate from the oyster card. Its basically a receipt in case the
card gets lost. If an inspector wants to check its validity, they'll
have to have a reader with them I guess (although the ones I saw at
South Ealing the other morning didn't have readers and just waved
people with oysters past).

Old October 24th 03, 12:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:11:26 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
IMO, the default when paying by credit card in every case should be to
issue a receipt, with an option *not* to do so. To do otherwise is to
display a cavalier attitude towards credit card fraud, and for the

So If I have a fake credit card, I am forced to get a receipt? I'm not
sure how this helps

cardholder it makes it much more difficult to prove (if doubted) a dodgy
transaction.

The burden of proof should always be on the accuser, lest we forget
innocent until proved guilty.

Old October 24th 03, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

wrote:

You're supposed to carry your record-card with the ticket I believe.

Actually, you are told to keep it in a safe place