Old October 22nd 03, 01:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What's happened to the PEDs?

"Paul Weaver" typed

I belive the problemt to be that a flaw exists, whereby trains can drive

off
with the PED's still open (LUL rules say that if PEDs

What's a PED?

Platform Edge Door, I presume from the context.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old October 22nd 03, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote the following in:

"K" wrote in message
On Monday 1 station was non-stopping in one direction on the
Jubilee line because the PEDs were defective; Tuesday there were
2 stations and now today there was a third. What is going on?

Everything's going wrong this week - Walthamstow Central was
closed yesterday, There was a train stuck at Oxford Circus on the
Victoria this morning, causing massive delays, and the influx of
refugees from the Northern Line meant that getting into town from
the North East has been dreadful. As I was going to the central I
changed at Finsbury Park, but the Picadilly was as slow as the
Victoria.

I was trying to catch the Central line from Liverpool Street this
morning. I had to let three trains go past before boarding because
there was absolutely no room for more passengers. Is this normal or is
it related to all the recent problems? I knew the Central line was bad
but surely not that bad!

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old October 22nd 03, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
What's a PED?

Platform Edge Door.

Kat in Downtown Toronto

Old October 22nd 03, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"K" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:09:20 +0100, "Darren Wiltshire"
wrote:

As you can imagine, these can cause a few helth problems for passengers,

and
so it is easier to pass these stations while they try to fix this.

But 3 in one week? That sounds too much of a coincidence

So were all the power cuts: East Coast USA, London, Northern Italy... "It's
all a great big conspiracy"!

Old October 22nd 03, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" typed

wrote:

As you can imagine, these can cause a few helth problems for passengers,

and
so it is easier to pass these stations while they try to fix this.

But 3 in one week? That sounds too much of a coincidence

So were all the power cuts: East Coast USA, London, Northern Italy... "It's
all a great big conspiracy"!

No, you obviously didn't absorb 'File on Four' on Radio 4 last night...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old October 22nd 03, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

As you can imagine, these can cause a few helth problems for passengers,

and
so it is easier to pass these stations while they try to fix this.

But 3 in one week? That sounds too much of a coincidence

No, not a coincidence, just part of an on-going problem that is currently
being looked into/fixed

Old October 22nd 03, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
s.com...

wrote:

As you can imagine, these can cause a few helth problems for

passengers,
and
so it is easier to pass these stations while they try to fix this.

But 3 in one week? That sounds too much of a coincidence

So were all the power cuts: East Coast USA, London, Northern Italy...

"It's
all a great big conspiracy"!

Apparently one in which, Canada, who suffered the worst of the North
American power-cuts AND for longer, isn't included....

Kat in Downtown Toronto

Old October 23rd 03, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Janice" wrote in message ...
"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
What's a PED?

Platform Edge Door.

Indeed. An expensive and utterly pointless feature in the jubilee line
extension that has started causing problems after only 3 years. Imagine
how (un)reliable these things will be in a decade and how much money will
have to be sunk into them to keep them working. If future management at LUL
have any sense they'll rip them out at the first opportunity.

B2003
Old October 23rd 03, 04:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why PEDs?

Excuse me for hijacking this thread, but it is the perfect moment to ask a
thing I always wanted to know:

What are the PED built for?
Obviously, they are a safety increase for the passengers on a crowded
platform - but in a movie of a "jubilee line drivers view" I saw, the
speaker said something about the ventilation systems of the trains. He
emphasized that the ventilation was the primary reason for building them,
and safety came just along with that.

So I wonder if someone can give some insights what the doors really do for
the line - or if this DVDs commentary is just b...

--
Ralf (from Germany)
- flying to London next week for 3 days holiday in the city