Old August 20th 09, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default De-bendification of 507

In article , says...
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:44:52 +0100
Jim Brittin [wake up to reply] wrote:
I don't think so, have you looked at one?

http://www.firstgroup.com/corpfirst/...pfirst_news/13
_Side_view_Greyhound_bus.tif

Ok , they're buying new buses. But it doesn't change the fact that most of
the romance or whatever you want to call it associated with Greyhound is
down to the countryside of the USA they drive through, not the buses
themselves. Here its just another bus operator. But perhaps I'm just being
cynical.

B2003

No, true. Ours will never be iconic.

Old August 20th 09, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I don't think so, have you looked at one?

http://www.firstgroup.com/corpfirst/...pfirst_news/13
_Side_view_Greyhound_bus.tif

Ok , they're buying new buses. But it doesn't change the fact that
most of the romance or whatever you want to call it associated with
Greyhound is down to the countryside of the USA they drive through,
not the buses themselves. Here its just another bus operator. But
perhaps I'm just being cynical.

No, true. Ours will never be iconic.

Calling them Greyhound will encourage American tourists to use them, and
won't deter anyone else. It's a smart move IMO.

Old August 20th 09, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
Jim Brittin wrote:

No, true. Ours will never be iconic.

Calling them Greyhound will encourage American tourists to use them, and
won't deter anyone else. It's a smart move IMO.

rant Why does everything have to be 'iconic'? What's wrong with 'good
value and efficient'?/rant

Tom (in Daily Mail mode today)
Old August 20th 09, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Barry wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
Jim Brittin wrote:

No, true. Ours will never be iconic.

Calling them Greyhound will encourage American tourists to use them,
and won't deter anyone else. It's a smart move IMO.

rant Why does everything have to be 'iconic'? What's wrong with
'good value and efficient'?/rant

Tom (in Daily Mail mode today)

An iconic Tom Barry post if ever I saw one.

Old August 20th 09, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
Tom Barry wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
Jim Brittin wrote:
No, true. Ours will never be iconic.
Calling them Greyhound will encourage American tourists to use them,
and won't deter anyone else. It's a smart move IMO.

rant Why does everything have to be 'iconic'? What's wrong with
'good value and efficient'?/rant

Tom (in Daily Mail mode today)

An iconic Tom Barry post if ever I saw one.

Grrr!!! There was me thinking I was doing a passable Boltar impression.

Tom
Old August 20th 09, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:24:47 +0100
Tom Barry wrote:
An iconic Tom Barry post if ever I saw one.

Grrr!!! There was me thinking I was doing a passable Boltar impression.

No chance mate. It would takes years of careful nurturing of bile, vitriol
and sarcasm to even come close.

B2003

Old August 20th 09, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:
And that was in the era of cheap
BR train tickets

Now, of course, it's the era of one of your competitors (Stagecoach, in
the case of London-Pompey/Soton) running a train service where the fares
keep going up* and there being rather lower barriers to entry for a
competing coach service than a competing train service. Plus Network
Rail are unable to bustitute your business at the weekends if you've
already done it.

Tom

* Yes, I know, JohnB, but that's what people think.
Old August 20th 09, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:48:25 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:19:20 +0100
Bruce wrote:
You might be interested in this:
http://tinyurl.com/nzwaoo
or:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...greyhound-bus-

So a few 2nd hand nat-ex buses will be given a respray and a "greyhound"
transfer slapped on the side. Yawn.

You really *are* a moron, aren't you. (no answer sought or needed)

If you had only read the article linked to, you would have known that
the service will be operated with a fleet of brand new Scania Irizar
coaches equipped with only 41 spacious leather seats and climate
control.

This Irizar PB coach is a multiple award winning design and will be a
very comfortable ride indeed.

Old August 20th 09, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Barry wrote:
An iconic Tom Barry post if ever I saw one.

Grrr!!! There was me thinking I was doing a passable Boltar impression.

No chance mate. It would takes years of careful nurturing of bile, vitriol
and sarcasm to even come close.

Not to mention the profoundest ignorance. ;-)