Old October 31st 03, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Gory details - you do *NOT* have to read it!

"Kat" wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Rob" wrote in message

As was the practice on lul, trains that were going to
sidings and comeing back out again was an anouncement
over the trains PA. at liverpool st the drive made the
anouncement and after he thought the train was emptied he
closed the doors went into the siding. on the way into the
siding a bloke on train woke up and tried to leave the train
by jumping out between the carridges onto the platform.

I don't remember it like that... ISTR he was just walking through the

train
to the driver, but as he was passing between two carriages the train

went
around an extreme curve to enter the sidings between the running lines,

and
he fell between the carriages.

That is the version we were told during training (plus the gory details)
And as for someone's comment about the gene-pool, IIRC the young man was a
medical student.

As the only person that knew for sure what he was intending to do ended up
with his neck on the right hand running rail with 5 carriages wheels going
over it resulting in it being the thickness of a rizla paper, nobody will
ever know for sure if he was trying to leave the train or make contact with
the driver.

Old November 1st 03, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJC CJC is offline

Default Crossrail: Paddington reversers

"Rob" wrote in message ...

Central Line at Liverpool Street (where an incompletely cleared train was
responsible for a fatality a few years back, but I don't know what the
frequency was at the hour of the fatality).
Bakerloo at Queens Park.
Kennington Charing Cross branch.
Somewhere on the Jubilee.... Willesden Green, I think.

wasn't it between 28tph and 33tph

Isn't there a loop at kennington? There used to be.

next part not for the squeamish...... seriously....

Isn't that tunnel incident the one where the guy tried to get out
between carraiges when he realised it had terminated and the tunnel
went round a corner and squashed him? Always men isn't it, we're not
too clever. I can't imagine that happening on a passenger-laden train.
Old November 2nd 03, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJC" wrote in message
om...

Kennington Charing Cross branch.

Isn't there a loop at kennington?

Yes. So? The train still has to be cleared with the following train queueing
behind it, just as it would at Paddington Crossrail

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 2nd 03, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"CJC" wrote in message
om...

Kennington Charing Cross branch.

Isn't there a loop at kennington?

Yes. So? The train still has to be cleared with the following train

queueing
behind it, just as it would at Paddington Crossrail

LUL trains don't have an enclosed gangway between their very closely coupled
cars, and significant gaps can open up between them on sharp curves through
which a human could fall, the major factor in how the unfortunate gentleman
at Liverpool Street met his end. Modern mainline rolling stock by contrast
has enclosed corridor connections, so it can be made nearly impossible for
someone to fall out of a moving train (certainly no more in a siding move
than anywhere in normal passenger service). As long as such standards are
followed , and the move to a reversing siding is protected to full passenger
signalling standards (TCs clear, FPLs bolted, flank traps and forward train
protection proved in place) then I can see no reason a case couldn't be made
not to fully check the train before proceding, as long as a walk through is
carried out once berthed in the siding and a safe procedure for removing
people found is in place.

--
Mark
http://www.maprail.com/

Old November 2nd 03, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark Townend" wrote in message
"John Rowland" wrote in message
"CJC" wrote in message
om...

[...]

This seems to be the case already on the DLR. The end doors need a key to
open them from the inside, so the passenger area is secure. I didn't
notice any walk-through before the doors were closed at Bank yesterday and
the train departed for the siding.

However, with large numbers of foreign visitors likely to use Crossrail to
get to Heathrow, reliance on a PA announcement would not be sufficient to
dislodge everyone. They will need extra platform staff at Paddington IMO.
--
Richard J.

Old November 2nd 03, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"CJC" wrote in message
om...

Kennington Charing Cross branch.

Isn't there a loop at kennington?

Yes. So? The train still has to be cleared with the following train

queueing
behind it, just as it would at Paddington Crossrail

If they were going to reverse some of the trains at Paddington, would it not
be obvious to put in a platform in the Paddington station specifically for
terminating trains. Edgware Road might be an inspiration.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old November 2nd 03, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...

However, with large numbers of foreign visitors likely to use Crossrail to
get to Heathrow, reliance on a PA announcement would not be sufficient to
dislodge everyone. They will need extra platform staff at Paddington IMO.

CCTV could play a useful role in checking the cars. It is likely that
cameras will be installed for security purposes, in any case, so it
may be possible to use them for this purpose also.