Old September 25th 09, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Victoria to Balham PAYG

It is rumored that the launch of Oyster PAYG on Southern between
Victoria and Balham has been delayed until further notice.

From my travels along that line, the gates at Balham and Battersea
Park seem to be accepting PAYG, so I would imagine the issue is at
Victoria.

Old September 25th 09, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
cj cj is offline

On Sep 25, 9:42*pm, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
It is rumored that the launch of Oyster PAYG on Southern between
Victoria and Balham has been delayed until further notice.

From my travels along that line, the gates at Balham and Battersea
Park seem to be accepting PAYG, so I would imagine the issue is at
Victoria.

The current NRE guidance[1] and Oyster PAYG on NR map[2] still
indicate that Oyster PAYG is valid between Victoria and Balham (and
have done for around a week now). Out of interest, how do the Oyster
PAYG fares compare to the cost of paper tickets?
~cj
[1] http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...ter-cards.html
[2] http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...OysterPAYG.pdf
Old September 25th 09, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
It is rumored that the launch of Oyster PAYG on Southern between
Victoria and Balham has been delayed until further notice.

From my travels along that line, the gates at Balham and Battersea
Park seem to be accepting PAYG, so I would imagine the issue is at
Victoria.

The current NRE guidance[1] and Oyster PAYG on NR map[2] still
indicate that Oyster PAYG is valid between Victoria and Balham (and
have done for around a week now). Out of interest, how do the Oyster
PAYG fares compare to the cost of paper tickets?

From TfL single fare finder:
£2.60 peak PAYG (0630-0930 and 1600-1900),
£2.00 off peak PAYG (other times)
From N
£3.10 Anytime Single
£5.30 Anytime return
£4.10 Offpeak Return (after 0930 no afternoon restrictions)

Paul S

Old September 25th 09, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
It is rumored that the launch of Oyster PAYG on Southern between
Victoria and Balham has been delayed until further notice.

From my travels along that line, the gates at Balham and Battersea
Park seem to be accepting PAYG, so I would imagine the issue is at
Victoria.

The current NRE guidance[1] and Oyster PAYG on NR map[2] still
indicate that Oyster PAYG is valid between Victoria and Balham (and
have done for around a week now). Out of interest, how do the Oyster
PAYG fares compare to the cost of paper tickets?

From TfL single fare finder:
£2.60 peak PAYG (0630-0930 and 1600-1900),
£2.00 off peak PAYG (other times)
From N
£3.10 Anytime Single
£5.30 Anytime return
£4.10 Offpeak Return (after 0930 no afternoon restrictions)

Paul S

The fare finder currently suggests that "Pay as you go will be valid
between Victoria and Balham (Southern) from a date to be confirmed".
It originally said 20 September and then 27 September. However, as
you note, it does show fares as well for this journey.
Old September 26th 09, 12:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
It is rumored that the launch of Oyster PAYG on Southern between
Victoria and Balham has been delayed until further notice.

From my travels along that line, the gates at Balham and Battersea
Park seem to be accepting PAYG, so I would imagine the issue is at
Victoria.

The current NRE guidance[1] and Oyster PAYG on NR map[2] still
indicate that Oyster PAYG is valid between Victoria and Balham (and
have done for around a week now). Out of interest, how do the Oyster
PAYG fares compare to the cost of paper tickets?

The latest LUL Traffic Circular, meanwhile, gives a start date of 27th
September still.

PAYG fares will depend on the zones travelled through, and whether you
use the tube or not, and if I'm reading the table correctly, there
appears to be a discounted fare for Railcard holders as well (assuming
you've got the discount set on your Oyster).

PAYG fares range from £1.40 for a single zone outside Zone 1 (£1.30 for
the "Reduced" rate) up to £6.00 (£4.30 Reduced rate) for 6 zones on
train and tube *including* Zone 1.

Cheers,

Barry

Old September 26th 09, 01:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sep 26, 1:02*am, Barry Salter wrote:

The latest LUL Traffic Circular, meanwhile, gives a start date of 27th
September still.

PAYG fares will depend on the zones travelled through, and whether you
use the tube or not, and if I'm reading the table correctly, there
appears to be a discounted fare for Railcard holders as well (assuming
you've got the discount set on your Oyster).

PAYG fares range from £1.40 for a single zone outside Zone 1 (£1.30 for
the "Reduced" rate) up to £6.00 (£4.30 Reduced rate) for 6 zones on
train and tube *including* Zone 1.

What is happening - or proposed to happen - with underground staff
free Oysters ?

No-one seems to be able to tell me. Staff Oysters are not just tube+LO
+bus+tram. For example they are permitted on TL between WHP and E&C
just like regular PAYG Oyster. I am not clear whether if TL is because
of the legacy of fares on this route, or whether it is a a staged
implemenation of Oyster.

--
Nick
Old September 26th 09, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message
,
D7666 writes

PAYG fares will depend on the zones travelled through, and whether you
use the tube or not, and if I'm reading the table correctly, there
appears to be a discounted fare for Railcard holders as well (assuming
you've got the discount set on your Oyster).

PAYG fares range from £1.40 for a single zone outside Zone 1 (£1.30 for
the "Reduced" rate) up to £6.00 (£4.30 Reduced rate) for 6 zones on
train and tube *including* Zone 1.

What is happening - or proposed to happen - with underground staff
free Oysters ?

No-one seems to be able to tell me. Staff Oysters are not just tube+LO
+bus+tram. For example they are permitted on TL between WHP and E&C
just like regular PAYG Oyster. I am not clear whether if TL is because
of the legacy of fares on this route, or whether it is a a staged
implemenation of Oyster.

My understanding is that the WHP E&C is some sort of legacy thing. I
don't think we're going to be getting any extra entitlement to travel
any time soon (other than, I guess, any LO services which should include
the ELLX when it opens).

Now, what would be handy would be the ability to add PAYG credit to the
staff pass (maybe via a salary deduction even?) and for it to deduct as
appropriate for those portions you don't have Staff privilege to.
Old September 27th 09, 12:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Steve Fitzgerald ] wrote

What is happening - or proposed to happen - with underground staff
free Oysters ?

Now, what would be handy would be the ability to add PAYG credit to

the
staff pass (maybe via a salary deduction even?) and for it to deduct

as
appropriate for those portions you don't have Staff privilege to.

What happens if you try to add PAYG credit at a ticket machine ?

Or try to use the pass for Victoria - Balham ?

--
Mike D

Old September 27th 09, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message 01ca3ed2$3701ce80$LocalHost@default, Michael R N Dolbear
writes

Now, what would be handy would be the ability to add PAYG credit to

the
staff pass (maybe via a salary deduction even?) and for it to deduct

as
appropriate for those portions you don't have Staff privilege to.

What happens if you try to add PAYG credit at a ticket machine ?

It doesn't offer the function.

Or try to use the pass for Victoria - Balham ?

Never tried but I would expect my card to be rejected at both locations.
Old September 30th 09, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sep 28, 8:14*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

For example they are permitted on TL between WHP and E&C
just like regular PAYG Oyster.

Be careful - TfL Staff Pass validity does NOT match that of normal PAYG.

Indeed, I posted incorrectly.

I do know it is Kentish Town, and my concession season is Luton -
Kentish Town for this reason.

Confused myself there ... as I actually interchange TL - Jubilee
daily at West Hampstead, as I head for Baker Street or Edgware Road or
locations west of there.

--
Nick