Old October 16th 09, 06:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

Neil Williams wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:55:02 +0100, "
wrote:

I always thought Lufthansa was all right.

I was referring to flyBE.

Neil

Mea culpea.

I've also been on flyBE. I don't think that I'll be doing that anytime
again soon.

Old October 16th 09, 09:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:27:44 +0100, "Recliner"
wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:

Probably not interested in a ragbag assortment of tired old aircraft.

... which are probably leased anyway.

Yes, but the leases don't lapse when a firm is taken over. Unless a
termination is negotiated, at a considerable cost, the leases will
simply be assigned to the new owners and continue to the end of their
terms.

So the condition of the fleet is important, and whether they are owned
or leased, they remain a liability.

Old October 16th 09, 11:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 19:44:30 +0100, "
wrote:

I've also been on flyBE. I don't think that I'll be doing that anytime
again soon.

The ex-BA "Barbie jets" are very nice, but operationally they're
atrocious, and they aren't even all that cheap.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old October 17th 09, 07:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 23:11:52 on Fri,
16 Oct 2009, Neil Williams remarked:
I've also been on flyBE. I don't think that I'll be doing that anytime
again soon.

The ex-BA "Barbie jets" are very nice, but operationally they're
atrocious, and they aren't even all that cheap.

I'm a bit confused here. It seems they don't run any ERJ145's any more,
and their E-195's were bought for FlyBe (not inherited from BA). Which
planes did you have in mind?
Old October 17th 09, 08:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 23:11:52 on Fri,
16 Oct 2009, Neil Williams remarked:
I've also been on flyBE. I don't think that I'll be doing that anytime
again soon.

The ex-BA "Barbie jets" are very nice, but operationally they're
atrocious, and they aren't even all that cheap.

I'm a bit confused here. It seems they don't run any ERJ145's any more,
and their E-195's were bought for FlyBe (not inherited from BA). Which
planes did you have in mind?

FlyBe inherited a lot of Embraer ERJ145 jets when they took over the BA
Connect routes. However, they have now disposed of these and run the
ex-BA Connect routes with other planes. bmi seem to have bought at
least some of the ERJ145 jets.

For instance, I understand that FlyBe now operate the MAN-FRA route with
Dash-8 turboprops: formerly this route was operated by ERJ145 jets. I
don't have personal experience of this: I prefer to use the Lufthansa
alternative.
--
Jeremy Double {real address, include nospam}
Rail and transport photos at

Old October 17th 09, 08:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

wrote:

I've also been on flyBE. I don't think that I'll be doing that anytime
again soon.

The ex-BA "Barbie jets" are very nice, but operationally they're
atrocious, and they aren't even all that cheap.

The BAe 146 was selling well and making money, until BAE Systems
decided they could make even more money from their Hatfield site by
selling it for property development. So they closed down the factory
with several thousand highly skilled, highly paid jobs being lost. The
smaller number of low skilled, low paid jobs that resulted from the
development of the airport site have done nothing to help Hatfield
recover from what was a devastating blow.

The updated model, the Avro RJ, was assembled at Woodford from
components made at Avro, Chadderton. It had different engines and was
much more reliable. But that finally fell victim to a BAE Systems
corporate decision to abandon civil airliner production (and car
manufacture) in favour of more profitable weapons systems.

To add insult to injury, Wikipedia reports that BAE Systems have set
up a project to convert used BAe 146 and Avro RJ airframes for
military use.

To add further insult, BAE Systems recently announced the closure of
the Woodford factory.

Old October 17th 09, 10:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:

Probably not interested in a ragbag assortment of tired old
aircraft.

... which are probably leased anyway.

Yes, but the leases don't lapse when a firm is taken over. Unless a
termination is negotiated, at a considerable cost, the leases will
simply be assigned to the new owners and continue to the end of their
terms.

So the condition of the fleet is important, and whether they are owned
or leased, they remain a liability.

So Lufthansa now has those leases. It's not likely that any airline
interested in operating the bmibaby routes would want to use those
particular aircraft to operate them -- they'd be much more likely to
want to use aircraft compatible with the rest of their fleets. So, the
chances are that, even if some of those routes continue to flown by
someone, it won't be those aircraft flying them, nor will the planes be
wearing bmibaby liveries.

Old October 17th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Oct 16, 6:15*pm, rail wrote:
In message
* * * * * John B wrote:

On Oct 16, 11:00*am, rail wrote:
EZY have a good relationship with Balpa, whereas FR ... yes, well.

Given FR is an Irish based company, why should it have any relationship
with Balpa?

Because their permanent Stansted staff (their largest site) are employed in
the UK under English law?

But does that include pilots?

Yes, and cabin crew.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old October 17th 09, 11:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 09:09:34 on
Sat, 17 Oct 2009, Jeremy Double remarked:
FlyBe inherited a lot of Embraer ERJ145 jets when they took over the BA
Connect routes. However, they have now disposed of these and run the
ex-BA Connect routes with other planes. bmi seem to have bought at
least some of the ERJ145 jets.

Branded BMI-regional I think. Now running on EMA-BRU, which was formerly
a 737 iirc.