Old October 11th 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:48:50 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:39:27 +0100, "
wrote:

Indeed, it can be less at times. Much less hassle in any event.

I regularly fly easyJet and it isn't hassle at all.

Taken as a whole, the EasyJet experience is a very good example of how
to operate an airline. Low cost, no frills, but otherwise excellent
customer service.

I haven't heard anything bad about easyJet, to be fair. It's Ryanair
that's no good.

Old October 11th 09, 10:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:38:48 on Sun, 11
Oct 2009, Ian F. remarked:
Never fly budget airlines. Pay the premium and just go on a normal
airline. In many cases it doesn't work out to be much more.

And it many cases it can be much less.

You'll have to quote a few examples, because I've been flying round
Europe at least once a month for the last three or four years, and
I think I've only seen it once (a late evening Brussels-Heathrow with BA
that came in at 26 Euros plus 56 Euro tax (~£70); not that Brussels is
overwhelmed with Budget carriers).

I'd just take the train.

Old October 11th 09, 10:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

MC wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 11:38:48 on Sun, 11
Oct 2009, Ian F. remarked:
Never fly budget airlines. Pay the premium and just go on a normal
airline. In many cases it doesn't work out to be much more.
And it many cases it can be much less.

You'll have to quote a few examples, because I've been flying round Europe
at least once a month for the last three or four years, and
I think I've only seen it once (a late evening Brussels-Heathrow with BA
that came in at 26 Euros plus 56 Euro tax (~£70); not that Brussels is
overwhelmed with Budget carriers).

I recently flew by:

BA to Inverness around £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

BA to Budapest around £40 cheaper that EJ all in.

BA to Naples £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

I always try and avoid budget airlines if I can help it as they are not
always cheaper and they cut too many corners. I still believe flying should
be a comfortable form of transport, after all it can be quite stressful. It
certainly should not be like a bus service. More often than not I only have
to pay a few quid more, if not less, for an experience that is less
stressful, and thus a lot more enjoyable, on a full service carrier.

MC

Same here. I also find getting to Heathrow a lot easier than Stansted or
Luton, for example.
Old October 11th 09, 10:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

D7666 wrote:
On Oct 11, 3:32 pm, "MC" wrote:

certainly should not be like a bus service. More often than not I only have
to pay a few quid more, if not less, for an experience that is less
stressful, and thus a lot more enjoyable, on a full service carrier.

Thats a lot to pay for a free coffee and roll.

--
Nick

I's still rather pay that, rather than give Ryanair any of my money.
Old October 11th 09, 10:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Roland Perry wrote:
In message .com, at
15:32:59 on Sun, 11 Oct 2009, MC remarked:
I recently flew by:

BA to Inverness around £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

BA to Budapest around £40 cheaper that EJ all in.

BA to Naples £20 cheaper than EJ all in.

Originating where? Heathrow perhaps. BA have pretty much abandoned
regional airports. If BA are flying those routes for the same-ish price
as a low-cost booked the same amount in advance, then it's good news for
people who can get to Heathrow.

But note that BA will now be charging for seat assignments, and
reportedly have scrapped food on short-haul.

That's for well in advance, rather than the usual 24 hours.

So becoming more like a
budget airline.

I somehow doubt that, although I've heard that Air Lingus is becoming
more and more like a budget airline.

And I know that classic carriers can't compete on price with the budget
airlines in "many cases" (rather than a few), nor is £20 "much cheaper".

Still prefer classic airlines. At least theior cabin staff don't behave
like on the budget airlines.

Old October 11th 09, 10:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:25:39 +0100, "Michael"
wrote:

I live on Anglesey - getting to Liverpool/Manchester
for easyjet and Ryanair is tedious enough, going to London so I could use
the allegedly superior service of "normal" airlines would be ridiculous.

I think more than those two fly from Manchester. Soon, there will be
only one as Ryanair pull out (though quite a few other budget airlines
in their place).

The boundaries are getting very blurred now though, especially on
shorter flights. I went to Bilbao earlier in the year, the best
option from Manchester being SN Brussels via, errm, Brussels. It was
either an hour's journey to Manchester or trying to get to Stansted.
Low cost, so no in-flight service but bookable seats and a luggage
allowance. For a couple of flights that take less than an hour then I
don't really care.

In the US, Virgin America have an interesting price policy, where they
offer no-frills or full service on the same planes. You pays your
money, etc. I got from San Diego to San Francisco for $49 to connect
with a KLM flight to Manchester (via AMS) - overall much cheaper than
any scheduled alternative.
Old October 11th 09, 10:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:24:34 on Sun, 11
Oct 2009, " remarked:

Luton Airport is the worst of any of them.

In some ways it's pretty bad - but "worst" is a bit of a stretch.

No proper connection from the station to the airport terminals
themselves,

There's a bus every ten minutes, which is better than some other
airports (eg Bristol and East Midlands).

But there is no direct rail connection, which does not apply in the case
of Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, City or even Southampton. And the queues
to the busses at Luton Airport Parkway can be riduculous.
Old October 11th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

In message , at 22:06:42 on Sun, 11
Oct 2009, " remarked:
You'll have to quote a few examples, because I've been flying round
Europe at least once a month for the last three or four years, and
I think I've only seen it once (a late evening Brussels-Heathrow with
BA that came in at 26 Euros plus 56 Euro tax (~£70); not that
Brussels is overwhelmed with Budget carriers).

I'd just take the train.

I normally take the train (I am this week...) but in this instance the
plane was much cheaper. And being later in the evening, starting from a
meeting quite close to the airport, it was the more sensible choice. I
was staying overnight in London.
Old October 11th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Neil Williams wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:24:34 +0100, "
wrote:

Never fly budget airlines. Pay the premium and just go on a normal
airline. In many cases it doesn't work out to be much more.

I fly from Luton because it's local. An 0700 flight is bad enough
without a 2-hour end to end journey to Thiefrow.

I have no doubt that Luton is convenient for those who live nearby.
Old October 11th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air

Buddenbrooks wrote:

wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:
Luton Airport is the worst of any of them. No proper connection from the
station to the airport terminals themselves, which are full of surley
staff from budget airlines.

Never fly budget airlines. Pay the premium and just go on a normal
airline. In many cases it doesn't work out to be much more.

Why settle for surly when for a little more you can have surly and
condescending.

Unless you pay for Business Class or better.

Business class is lovely, I must say.