London Banter

-   -   When is a travelcard not a travelcard? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9906-when-travelcard-not-travelcard.html)

Theo Markettos November 8th 09 11:38 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

Neil Williams wrote:
PFed, I guess, if a 1-9 ODTC is indeed what you had., as such a thing
isn't valid to Watford Junction.

But the gate should have just said 'Seek assistance' in that case? It
wouldn't have eaten the ticket.

Theo

Neil Williams November 9th 09 05:31 AM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

On 09 Nov 2009 00:38:30 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

But the gate should have just said 'Seek assistance' in that case? It
wouldn't have eaten the ticket.

True...

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Barry Salter November 9th 09 10:16 AM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

David Jackman wrote:

But outboundary travelcards should never be issued from within the zones,
and I wasn't previously aware that National Rail stations could issue Z1-9
either.

The extremities of the Metropolitan Line are a special case when it
comes to the "out-boundary" rule, in that National Rail ticket offices
*can* issue a Travelcard for them (Amersham to All Zones being the usual
scenario) *and* they don't turn into a pumpkin when you reach Amersham.

It also appears that the rules regarding other out-boundary Travelcards
have now been updated in "The Manual" and it now explicitly states that,
whilst not valid for another journey back to/from London after you
return to the origin point, they *do* retain the Travelcard validity
within Zones 1 to 6.

Cheers,

Barry

Paul Scott November 9th 09 10:19 AM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

wrote in message
In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

wrote in message

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9? I thought it comprised just
Chesham and Amersham.

Correct, nearly. Watford Junction is just outside Zone 8, because
in that area there is no Zone 9.

So the OP's ticket was not valid for a journey to Watford Junction then?

AIUI from many previous discussions, you can apparently buy a normal
outboundary travelcard from Watford Junction TO zones 1-6, (not sure on
zones 1-9), but the leg from Watford Junction to 'the zones', although
short, is just like the leg from say Cambridge to the zones. So with an out
boundary travelcard from WJ you'd have your normal one jouney in and one
return, and if you started from within the zones with a normal Z1-6
travelcard you'd need an extension from BZ6 to WJ.

No idea if there even is such a thing as an extension from BZ8 - Watford
Junction though....

By the way - for those still wondering, have a look at the text in the
orange box next to WJ on the standard tube map - you can see why people
might expect it to be in Zone 9 though...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Paul S

Paul Scott November 9th 09 10:30 AM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

wrote in message
In article ,
(Neil Williams) wrote:

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 14:31:58 -0600,

wrote:

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9?

It is. What I think the OP actually bought is a Watford Junction
outboundary Travelcard, which should indeed be eaten at the end.

Would Croydon (or wherever, I see he wasn't too specific) have sold him a
Watford Junction outboundary Travelcard, though? And wouldn't it be valid
for a return trip to the zones if so?

I expect they could if asked, but the ticket would still not be valid after
the first trip to Watford Jn. By analogy, as you are probabaly aware, the
outward part of a two part ticket is not valid without the return...

Paul S

Paul Scott November 9th 09 10:39 AM

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

wrote in message

Would Croydon (or wherever, I see he wasn't too specific) have sold him a
Watford Junction outboundary Travelcard, though? And wouldn't it be valid
for a return trip to the zones if so?

I expect they could if asked, but the ticket would still not be valid
after the first trip to Watford Jn. By analogy, as you are probabaly
aware, the outward part of a two part ticket is not valid without the
return...

In the light of Barry's info, I'd clarify that by saying they are no longer
valid on the NR part of the route once they have been used to return to the
origin. As the barriers will have normally eaten it, using the zonal
validity again in the same day will require the user to avoid the barriers.

Paul S

Tom Anderson November 9th 09 10:50 AM

wrote:

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9?

It is. What I think the OP actually bought is a Watford Junction
outboundary Travelcard, which should indeed be eaten at the end.

I've checked by bank statement, and i paid 13.80 for the thing, at
Wallington, on a late monday morning IIRC. The only thing i can see in the
booklet is the off-peak Z1-9TC+WJ ticket, which is 13.50, so i think
you're right, although i don't know where the 30p comes from.

And i note there's still nothing in the TfL fares booklet which indicates
that that ticket will be eaten at WJ.

tom

--
History is about battles, great men, gory executions and wigs. That is
all. -- The Richelieu Association

Tom Anderson November 9th 09 10:52 AM

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Barry Salter wrote:

David Jackman wrote:

But outboundary travelcards should never be issued from within the zones,
and I wasn't previously aware that National Rail stations could issue Z1-9
either.

The extremities of the Metropolitan Line are a special case when it comes to
the "out-boundary" rule, in that National Rail ticket offices *can* issue a
Travelcard for them (Amersham to All Zones being the usual scenario) *and*
they don't turn into a pumpkin when you reach Amersham.

'Turn into a pumpkin' = 'get eaten'? Mind you, the ticket i had was bright
orange in parts, so perhaps it was already part pumpkin? :)

It also appears that the rules regarding other out-boundary Travelcards
have now been updated in "The Manual" and it now explicitly states that,
whilst not valid for another journey back to/from London after you
return to the origin point, they *do* retain the Travelcard validity
within Zones 1 to 6.

Ah, so if that's what i had, it should have eaten the ticket and spat out
a Z1-6 TC? And does 'origin point' mean something unexpected, as i was
nowhere near my origin!

I suppose i should have bought (or the guy should have sold me) a Z1-6 TC
and a pair of off-peak singles from Z6 to WJ - 7.50 + 2*1.10 = 9.70. I
could perhaps even have done the extension on pre-pay.

tom

John Salmon[_4_] November 9th 09 05:33 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

"Paul Scott" wrote
"Paul Scott" wrote
wrote

Would Croydon (or wherever, I see he wasn't too specific) have sold him
Watford Junction outboundary Travelcard, though? And wouldn't it be
valid
for a return trip to the zones if so?

I expect they could if asked, but the ticket would still not be valid
after the first trip to Watford Jn. By analogy, as you are probabaly
aware, the outward part of a two part ticket is not valid without the
return...

In the light of Barry's info, I'd clarify that by saying they are no
longer valid on the NR part of the route once they have been used to
return to the origin. As the barriers will have normally eaten it, using
the zonal validity again in the same day will require the user to avoid
the barriers.

Did you mean "the outboundary part of the route" rather than "the NR part of
the route", or am I still misunderstanding?

Paul Scott November 9th 09 05:47 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

John Salmon wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote

[...]