London Banter

-   -   When is a travelcard not a travelcard? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9906-when-travelcard-not-travelcard.html)

Arthur Figgis November 9th 09 06:45 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

Barry Salter wrote:
David Jackman wrote:

But outboundary travelcards should never be issued from within the
zones, and I wasn't previously aware that National Rail stations could
issue Z1-9 either.

The extremities of the Metropolitan Line are a special case when it
comes to the "out-boundary" rule, in that National Rail ticket offices
*can* issue a Travelcard for them (Amersham to All Zones being the usual
scenario) *and* they don't turn into a pumpkin when you reach Amersham.

Theoretically, though when I've tried this on a couple of occasions
(admittedly some time ago now) the responses were along the lines of
"That's a underground station and we are a railway station and we don't
sell tickets from underground stations, duh" or "Hmm, yes I see what you
are trying to do, and you look like you've probably read something in
Trainspotters' Fortnightly which says this is allowed, but the computer
won't seem to let me sell that. Try an Underground station. 'cept there
aren't none 'cos this is Croydon/Sutton".

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Peter Lawrence[_2_] November 9th 09 07:42 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:50:49 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Neil Williams wrote:

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 14:31:58 -0600,
wrote:

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9?

It is. What I think the OP actually bought is a Watford Junction
outboundary Travelcard, which should indeed be eaten at the end.

I've checked by bank statement, and i paid 13.80 for the thing, at
Wallington, on a late monday morning IIRC. The only thing i can see in the
booklet is the off-peak Z1-9TC+WJ ticket, which is 13.50, so i think
you're right, although i don't know where the 30p comes from.

And i note there's still nothing in the TfL fares booklet which indicates
that that ticket will be eaten at WJ.

isn't there some easement allowing use of Travelcards on TFL buses
serving Watford which means the card should not be swallowed?

And, should not the OP have been sold a ODTC with extension BZ6 to
Watford?
--
Peter Lawrence

[email protected] November 9th 09 09:09 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

In the light of Barry's info, I'd clarify that by saying they are
no longer valid on the NR part of the route once they have been
used to return to the origin. As the barriers will have normally
eaten it, using the zonal validity again in the same day will
require the user to avoid the barriers.

That isn't very different from the new situation with London Terminals
tickets at King's Cross platforms 9-11. The tickets are eaten if put in
the barrier but staff will open a gate for you if you ask.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive Page[_3_] November 15th 09 07:10 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

In message ,
writes
That isn't very different from the new situation with London Terminals
tickets at King's Cross platforms 9-11. The tickets are eaten if put in
the barrier but staff will open a gate for you if you ask.

Very much the same thing on a ticket from Luton to "London Thameslink"
which gets eaten at barriers at St.Pancras (upper level) if you are
silly enough to give it your ticket to chomp, even though the ticket is
valid onwards e.g. to London Bridge. Again if you can find a manned
barrier you can get through.

--
Clive Page

[email protected] February 3rd 10 10:42 AM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

In article ,
() wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

In the light of Barry's info, I'd clarify that by saying they are
no longer valid on the NR part of the route once they have been
used to return to the origin. As the barriers will have normally
eaten it, using the zonal validity again in the same day will
require the user to avoid the barriers.

That isn't very different from the new situation with London
Terminals tickets at King's Cross platforms 9-11. The tickets are
eaten if put in the barrier but staff will open a gate for you if
you ask.

At some point since I wrote this they seem to have changed the barriers at
King's Cross. They now return London Terminals tickets, I was told by a
staff member when I asked to retain my ticket by him opening the gate as I
have since last year. When I put my ticket in this morning, it was indeed
returned to me.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive Page[_4_] February 3rd 10 10:01 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

In message ,
writes
At some point since I wrote this they seem to have changed the barriers at
King's Cross. They now return London Terminals tickets, I was told by a
staff member when I asked to retain my ticket by him opening the gate as I
have since last year. When I put my ticket in this morning, it was indeed
returned to me.

There is a similar, but worse situation at St.Pancras if you arrive from
some point further north with a ticket to "London Thameslink" - this is
valid as far as London Bridge or Elephant and Castle. The barriers at
St.Pancras Lower Level return your ticket so you can continue your
journey (even though when the Thameslink route through Farringdon is
open you'd be unlikely to want to exit there if continuing, unless
making a break of journey), whereas those at St.Pancras Upper Level eat
such tickets (even though you might well want to switch to a train from
the lower level to continue your journey). Joined-up thinking - not.

--
Clive Page