London Banter

-   -   When is a travelcard not a travelcard? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/9906-when-travelcard-not-travelcard.html)

Tom Anderson November 8th 09 07:18 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

When it's to zone 9.

Woke up at a friend's place in Wallington, near Croydon and far from the
Pays du PAYG. Wanted to go home to god's own Finsbury Park, then visit a
convalescing friend in Watford and then come home again. So, bought a Z1-9
travelcard.

I happily used to the ticket to take the Southern to Victoria, the Vic to
FP and back to Euston, and London Midland to Watford Junction - where the
ticket machine ate my travelcard. I asked a member of staff, who i think
was some sort of ticket inspector, and he asserted that this was right and
proper - apparently outside Z6, a travelcard is good for one trip inward
and one out. So it is not, as the name might suggest to the naive, a
travelcard.

I had a look through this charming booklet:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-junction.pdf

And there's no mention of this. It does suggest you read this:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-zones1-6.pdf

Which merrily chortles:

Travel as much as you like in one day using a Day Travelcard

And doesn't go on to qualify that with regards to Watford.

So, what gives? Where's the rule that says Watford gets to eat my ticket?
Where else am i at risk from surprise cartivory?

I assume what's happening is that a Z1-9 travelcard is actually a return
from BZ9 to Z1-6, much as you might buy a return from Chelmsford to Z1-6,
and as such, is only valid for a trip in from Z9 followed by a trip out,
as the fellow i spoke to indicated. In which case, it's a perfectly
consistent and legit product, but *is not a bloody travelcard*.

I imagine there have been threads about this here before, and i probably
should have paid attention. But i didn't. So, what are my chances of
getting Trading Standards to shut down the Z1-9 TC scam?

tom

--
Glass of water, glass of orange juice, cup of coffee, a spell on the
toilet (Guinness hangovers only), back to bed for a good cry. Fried

[email protected] November 8th 09 07:31 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

In article i,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

When it's to zone 9.

Woke up at a friend's place in Wallington, near Croydon and far
from the Pays du PAYG. Wanted to go home to god's own Finsbury
Park, then visit a convalescing friend in Watford and then come
home again. So, bought a Z1-9 travelcard.

I happily used to the ticket to take the Southern to Victoria, the
Vic to FP and back to Euston, and London Midland to Watford
Junction - where the ticket machine ate my travelcard. I asked a
member of staff, who i think was some sort of ticket inspector, and
he asserted that this was right and proper - apparently outside Z6,
a travelcard is good for one trip inward and one out. So it is not,
as the name might suggest to the naive, a travelcard.

I had a look through this charming booklet:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tickets-Zone
s-7-9-plus-watford-junction.pdf

[...]

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9? I thought it comprised just Chesham
and Amersham.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Scott November 8th 09 07:59 PM

wrote in message

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9? I thought it comprised just Chesham
and Amersham.

Correct, nearly. Watford Junction is just outside Zone 8, because in that
area there is no Zone 9.

Paul S

Tom Anderson November 8th 09 09:08 PM

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Paul Scott wrote:

wrote in message

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9? I thought it comprised just Chesham
and Amersham.

Correct, nearly. Watford Junction is just outside Zone 8, because in that
area there is no Zone 9.

Huh. So should i actually have been excessed or something?

The chap at Wallington seemed to think a Z1-9 TC was the thing i wanted; i
suppose it's no great surprise that he wasn't immediately familiar with
the ins and outs of the rules.

tom

--
This sig kills fascists.

Neil Williams November 8th 09 09:48 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 14:31:58 -0600,
wrote:

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9?

It is. What I think the OP actually bought is a Watford Junction
outboundary Travelcard, which should indeed be eaten at the end.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Neil Williams November 8th 09 09:49 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 22:08:28 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

Huh. So should i actually have been excessed or something?

PFed, I guess, if a 1-9 ODTC is indeed what you had., as such a thing
isn't valid to Watford Junction.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

[email protected] November 8th 09 10:08 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

wrote in message

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9? I thought it comprised just
Chesham and Amersham.

Correct, nearly. Watford Junction is just outside Zone 8, because
in that area there is no Zone 9.

So the OP's ticket was not valid for a journey to Watford Junction then?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

David Jackman[_2_] November 8th 09 10:18 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

(Neil Williams) wrote in
:

wrote:

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9?

It is. What I think the OP actually bought is a Watford Junction
outboundary Travelcard, which should indeed be eaten at the end.

Neil

But outboundary travelcards should never be issued from within the zones,
and I wasn't previously aware that National Rail stations could issue Z1-9
either.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...s-and-tickets-
Zones-7-9-plus-watford-junction.pdf does quote prices for a "Day Travelcard
Z1-9 plus Watford Junction" but as it's £ 18.00 peak/£ 13.50 off-peak a
Boundary Z6-Watford Junction is often a better option anyway.

David

[email protected] November 8th 09 10:27 PM

wrote:

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9?

It is. What I think the OP actually bought is a Watford Junction
outboundary Travelcard, which should indeed be eaten at the end.

Would Croydon (or wherever, I see he wasn't too specific) have sold him a
Watford Junction outboundary Travelcard, though? And wouldn't it be valid
for a return trip to the zones if so?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] November 8th 09 10:37 PM

When is a travelcard not a travelcard?

In article . 145,
pleasereplytogroup (David Jackman) wrote:

(Neil Williams) wrote in
:

wrote:

Isn't Watford Junction outside Zone 9?

It is. What I think the OP actually bought is a Watford Junction
outboundary Travelcard, which should indeed be eaten at the end.

But outboundary travelcards should never be issued from within the
zones, and I wasn't previously aware that National Rail stations
could issue Z1-9 either.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tickets-Zone
s-7-9-plus-watford-junction.pdf does quote prices for a "Day
Travelcard Z1-9 plus Watford Junction" but as it's £ 18.00 peak/£
13.50 off-peak a Boundary Z6-Watford Junction is often a better
option anyway.

Assuming the ticket office in question did what they should have done, of
course.

--
Colin Rosenstiel