Old December 13th 09, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Publicity about Circle Line going Teacup

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 08:36:00 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

And let's be grateful that LU generally always provides displays,
unlike NR (like the considerably younger 465/9s that went through a
whole refurbishment programme, installing extra toilets, first class
accommodation etc, but were still left without any destination
displays).

Eh? This looks like one (albeit displaying useless information):-

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/...17ea8c.jpg?v=0

Or are they all broken now?

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 13th 09, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

And let's be grateful that LU generally always provides displays,
unlike NR (like the considerably younger 465/9s that went through a
whole refurbishment programme, installing extra toilets, first class
accommodation etc, but were still left without any destination
displays).

Eh? This looks like one (albeit displaying useless information):-

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/...17ea8c.jpg?v=0

Oh, that's terrible. They should have left it blank. I can just see Finnish
tourists poring over their London Connections map trying to find Listen.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old December 13th 09, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:49:50 -0000, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

Oh, that's terrible. They should have left it blank. I can just see Finnish
tourists poring over their London Connections map trying to find Listen.

That doesn't just happen here. "Bitte Ansage beachten" is, from my
experience, an extremely common thing to be displayed on German
stations.

It often actually means "This old Solari display installation is
knackered and we can't be bothered to fix it".

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 13th 09, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
Paul Scott wrote:
"asdf" wrote in message
news
I always assumed it was "Hammersmith via Shepherds Bush" because
(east of Edgware Road) Hammersmith via High St Ken is at least
theoretically possible.

'Hammersmith via Shepherds Bush' apparently isn't provided on the new
blinds...

Just as well, since Shepherds Bush is a Central Line station.

It could have been changed to 'Shepherds Bush Market' so presumably they
believe it isn't required as a 'via point' at all.

Paul S

Old December 13th 09, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
And let's be grateful that LU generally always provides displays,
unlike NR (like the considerably younger 465/9s that went through a
whole refurbishment programme, installing extra toilets, first class
accommodation etc, but were still left without any destination
displays).

Eh? *This looks like one (albeit displaying useless information):-

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/...17ea8c.jpg?v=0

Or are they all broken now?

Neil

It's hard to keep track, but the ones originally on all 465s were
invisible in daylight[1], then rapidly became illegible mush,
unreadable even in the dark. Eventually, most of them were just blank.

The displays on the ABB units were replaced with dotty orange ones
that were a bit better, but the Alstom units kept the original blank
ones[2] right through and beyond the 465/9 refurbishment programme.

More recently there seems to be a patchy introduction of a completely
new system, which corresponds to preventing drivers from showing route
codes and using GPS.

To this day, there is very unlikely to be any kind of working display
on an Alstom 465, and if there is there's little chance of it giving
any information.

Not sure which of all these things the one in the picture is, but I
note that the sunny side isn't very visible.

[1] Just thought I'd mention that the recently-installed, invisible-in-
daylight blue screens on many platforms at London Bridge have now been
replaced by bright, orange, dotty ones. What a waste of money those
blue things were.

[2] Another kind briefly began to appear on some units a few years
ago, but evidently didn't work. It wasn't the same as on the ABB
units, as if they were trying two suppliers.

Old December 13th 09, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 09:00:48 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

[1] Just thought I'd mention that the recently-installed, invisible-in-
daylight blue screens on many platforms at London Bridge have now been
replaced by bright, orange, dotty ones. What a waste of money those
blue things were.

We can but hope that FCC returned them under warranty as "not suitable
for their intended purpose".

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old December 14th 09, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 14 Dec, 00:15, wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

[1] Just thought I'd mention that the recently-installed, invisible-in-
daylight blue screens on many platforms at London Bridge have now been
replaced by bright, orange, dotty ones. *What a waste of money those
blue things were.

We can but hope that FCC returned them under warranty as "not suitable
for their intended purpose".

The displays on FCC's 365s seem to be fine.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

And yet when the 365s were on South Eastern, I don't think I ever saw
one with a working display.

Something about the attitude to customer information down my way I
think.

Walton-on-Thames railway station no longer a bus teacup. Michael R N Dolbear London Transport 1 September 1st 15 08:28 AM
So what's going wrong with the Jubilee line? [email protected] London Transport 61 May 12th 11 02:15 PM
teacup Roland Perry London Transport 43 March 20th 10 05:03 PM
Is the teacup necessary? Walter Briscoe London Transport 68 April 23rd 09 08:35 AM
Oyster Prepay capping publicity Dave Arquati London Transport 5 February 23rd 05 03:43 PM