Old November 11th 09, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Publicity about Circle Line going Teacup

On 11 Nov, 07:57, wrote:
In article ,

(Neil Williams) wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 01:26:26 -0000, "Basil Jet"
wrote:

How unreliable has the Circle been? Might the planned 6tph

actually be no less than has typically been achieved?

Very - 20-minute plus gaps and bunched trains are extremely common, so
an actual, regular 10-minute frequency, if they manage to achieve it,
will be a definite improvement.

Not my experience on the occasions when I have relied on it. OTOH the
departure indicators at Edgware Road are a nightmare so the less often I
have to change there the better.

I agree with previous that the Circle Line is currently pretty much a
myth (at least when I actually need it).

But I can't see how reliability is going to improve with 12 tph trying
to terminate at Edgware Road, and keep to the right platform, while
crossing a through service of 12 tph on a flat junction.
Old November 11th 09, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote:

Did they attempt to run a weekday peak service on any of the trial
weekends?

Nope. And on at least one of those weekends there were no Mets between
Harrow-on-the-Hill and Aldgate, and the service ended up bunching
together, so you'd get a "Circle", followed by a Hammersmith, then
nothing for 8 minutes.

Cheers,

Barry
Old November 11th 09, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

On 11 Nov, 01:41, wrote:
In article

,

(MIG) wrote:
On 10 Nov, 16:54, "Paul Scott"

wrote:
Mr Thant wrote:
The map in the leaflet has both the Thames and the

Hammersmith &
City Line:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/4074872504/

Here's the map at KXSP:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjs/4089297930/

(I don't think any new poster network maps or map leaflets

are in
circulation yet)

AIUI the new timetable changes the 7 tph H&C and 7 tph

Circle into 6
tph each, meaning 12 tph departures from Hammersmith.

I think I've lost track of that aspect. Weren't there at one

time
supposed to be some slight changes to the Met and District to

maintain
numbers along the north and south sides of the common routes

as well?

Which reminds me of something that doesn't seem to have been

discussed
much. Is part of the real rationale for this to persuade pax

from the
Kings Cross area, heading for the south western extremities

of the
network, to stop using Earls Court or Gloucester Rd when

changing?
*Most publicity just dwells on the better service to

Hammersmith
H&C, without trying to explainhow that helps pax overall,

IYSWIM...

It still wouldn't make it a better option than the Piccadilly.

It has been a better option when I have luggage and want to
travel between
Putney and King's Cross! I can change same-platform with only the
East
Putney stairs to negotiate and no long detours to use lifts (as
at Earls
Court). All going 13 December unless I change twice and/or am
lucky at
Edgware Road.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Yes, of course, but the increased service on the Hammersmith line is
of no relevance to that journey.

I assumed that he was talking about journeys to Hammersmith or further
west, for which the Piccadilly would always be best, despite an
increased frequency for changing at Hammersmith. Probably less stairs
at Kings Cross and cross-platform interchanges at Barons Court onwards.

Indeed, but useless for the Wimbledon branch, as you say. That is the
busiest western branch of the District, I understand.

It's a bit much to have the cut spun as an improvement. Though very much
in the spirit of the times, one thought that public transport operators
were a bit less prone to it than some.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 11th 09, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 08:23:23AM -0800, Mr Thant wrote:

The map in the leaflet has both the Thames and the Hammersmith & City
Line:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/4074872504/

Interesting, that shows both Hammersmith and Paddington as being one
station. Also, White City and Wood Lane are joined together like Bank
and Monument are.

Here's the map at KXSP:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjs/4089297930/

That's quite confusing - it looks like there are two seperate yellow
lines.

--
David Cantrell | Enforcer, South London Linguistic Massive

NANOG makes me want to unplug everything and hide under the bed
-- brian d foy
Old November 11th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 08:23:23AM -0800, Mr Thant wrote:

The map in the leaflet has both the Thames and the Hammersmith & City
Line:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/4074872504/

Interesting, that shows both Hammersmith and Paddington as being one
station. Also, White City and Wood Lane are joined together like Bank
and Monument are.

Here's the map at KXSP:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjs/4089297930/

That's quite confusing - it looks like there are two seperate yellow
lines.

Why does it even show the line from Edgware Road to Victoria? It doesn't
show the lines you can change to at other stations, so why show the line you
can change to at Edgware Road?

Incidentally, did the map in that location used to show the Circle to St
James Park or Westminster, i.e. has the recommended route to from KXSP to St
James Park changed from inner rail to outer rail as a result of the
introduced change at Edgware Road?

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old November 11th 09, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Cantrell" wrote in message
k...
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 08:23:23AM -0800, Mr Thant wrote:

Here's the map at KXSP:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjs/4089297930/

That's quite confusing - it looks like there are two seperate yellow
lines.

Personally, I always think that type of diagram should be the other way up,
ie 'you are here' should be at the bottom, with progress along the line
upwards.

Does anyone else agree?

Paul S

Old November 11th 09, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Cantrell wrote:

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 06:02:31PM -0600,
wrote:

This would also appear to be because the Journey Planner thinks
there will still be a Circle Line service from king's Cross to High
St Kensington on 14 December! Bloody useless!

There will be. It'll just take a long time, going the wrong way roudn
the circle.

Or going via Hammersmith.

Walton-on-Thames railway station no longer a bus teacup. Michael R N Dolbear London Transport 1 September 1st 15 08:28 AM
So what's going wrong with the Jubilee line? [email protected] London Transport 61 May 12th 11 02:15 PM
teacup Roland Perry London Transport 43 March 20th 10 05:03 PM
Is the teacup necessary? Walter Briscoe London Transport 68 April 23rd 09 08:35 AM
Oyster Prepay capping publicity Dave Arquati London Transport 5 February 23rd 05 03:43 PM