Old November 28th 09, 04:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Disruption at Feltham

Paul Scott wrote:
Latest report is that normal service will resume tomorrow morning:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/eng...9548b8faaad06\
961215

Network Rail's press release shows the track work in progress, I can't work
out
from the pic if they've laid two tracks or just the one. Can anyone clarify?

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co...ID=4827&NewsA\
reaID=2&SearchCategoryID=8

Looking carefully at the pic, both tracks appear to have new third rail
carriers, so I'd guess both tracks are new. Neither track appears to
have third rail in the pic.

Additionally, they seem to be working on both tracks.

However, having said that, the right hand track hasn't been clipped, and
has nice new clips waiting to be placed and hammered in. The left hand
track appears to have old clips fitted.

So ..... some inconsistencies there.

Rgds

Denis

Old November 28th 09, 07:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/eng...a1d1349548b8fa

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co...eleaseID=4827&
NewsA\reaID=2&SearchCategoryID=8

Looking carefully at the pic, both tracks appear to have new third
rail carriers, so I'd guess both tracks are new. Neither track
appears to have third rail in the pic.

Additionally, they seem to be working on both tracks.

However, having said that, the right hand track hasn't been
clipped, and has nice new clips waiting to be placed and hammered
in. The left hand track appears to have old clips fitted.

So ..... some inconsistencies there.

It looks to me as if the right-hand track in the picture is newly laid
while the left-hand track has been slewed. I agree the insulators are
clearly there but without conductor rails.

As I said before, it's all clearer if you open the large picture on the
"download file" link.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 28th 09, 02:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article ,
(Denis McMahon) wrote:

Paul Scott wrote:
[...]

Ok, assuming this is the country side of the royal mail building, and
we're looking "up", that suggests the left track is the old down /
temporary up and the right track is the temporary down.

As another poster has said, the location boxes on the left of the
picture appears to be at the side of the down track on earlier aerial
photography eg google "satellite" images.

I tried drawing this out with gimp on the google satellite image, it's
constrained by the banks leading down to the mill stream by the royal
mail building at the town end, and the bank leading down to the
underpass entrance at the country end, and the location boxes (I assume
that the reason they're still apparently in the same places is that
moving them as part of the temporary track works is more painful than
working round their existing locations) as well as the need to run over
an undamaged part of the culvert.

Assuming that the distance from the location boxes to the outer down
rail in the temporary location is the same as the original distance from
the location boxes to the outer up rail in the original alignment, I
calculate that the temporary alignment is about 5.5 metres south, with a
60 metre lead in at each end.

Rgds

Denis McMahon