Showing results 1 to 25 of 393
Search took 0.17 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mark Brader
Forum: London Transport January 4th 16, 03:57 AM
Replies: 148
Posted By Mark Brader
By London's Northern Line to Battersea

At one time commuters off the GM mainline could continue to stations
to Farringdon.

Do you mean Moorgate?

IIRC Farringdon was the original limit of the Met.

Yes, but only for a period...
Forum: London Transport December 23rd 15, 04:29 AM
Replies: 23
Posted By Mark Brader
Clapham shelter to be revived

"Aurora":
Much better, IMHO to use it for its original purpose. To wit as part
of a fast, limited stop pair quadrupling the TfL Northern Line.

Charles Ellson:
That wasn't the original...
Forum: London Transport January 14th 13, 04:37 PM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mark Brader
S7 Stock to Barking

http://www.priceoftravel.com/595/public-transportation-prices-in-80-worldwide-cities/

So, it looks like they've overstated the minimum London fare, and
included peak fares for routes from...
Forum: London Transport January 13th 13, 12:26 PM
Replies: 135
Posted By Mark Brader
S7 Stock to Barking

http://www.priceoftravel.com/595/public-transportation-prices-in-80-worldwide-cities/

So, it looks like they've overstated the minimum London fare, and
included peak fares for routes from the...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 12, 09:17 PM
Replies: 75
Posted By Mark Brader
Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

Mark Brader:
Unless the artist goofed, it must be a GWR train.

Charles Ellson:
Bearing in mind that it is almost certainly a product of a few quick
sketches... total accuracy might be a bit...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 12, 08:42 PM
Replies: 75
Posted By Mark Brader
Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

Peter Masson:
Yes. The Met was built as mixed gauge from Paddington (Bishop's Road) at
least to Farringdon and AFAIK to Moorgate, and was initially (Jan - Aug
1863) worked between Bishop's...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 12, 08:15 PM
Replies: 75
Posted By Mark Brader
Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

Well Allan, I guess I will have to concede. Although I dislike it
when official bodies give in to inaccurate popular culture.

I hope you don't have too much trouble if you ever have to ask...
Forum: London Transport December 18th 12, 08:14 PM
Replies: 75
Posted By Mark Brader
Not-very dry run for 150-year anniversary Met steam

Nick Leverton:
It's a unified system these days. Unfortunately, when the Underground
Group were publicising the Tube back in the first quarter of the last
century, they seem to have omitted to...
Forum: London Transport December 7th 12, 10:17 AM
Replies: 34
Posted By Mark Brader
2 flakes of snow and it all falls apart

Though you have to wonder how the metro systems in places like
canada and oslo manage to run when its -20C and snow a metre deep.

Because they get those conditions every winter and are...
Forum: London Transport October 27th 12, 12:06 AM
Replies: 45
Posted By Mark Brader
Ganz system (was: Amersham and Chesham)

Mark Brader:
Also note how high the arm is above the locomotive. You'd never
fit that thing into a Metropolitan or District tunnel. They must
have had a different sort of collector in...
Forum: London Transport October 26th 12, 10:22 PM
Replies: 45
Posted By Mark Brader
Ganz system (was: Amersham and Chesham)

Mark Brader:
The book includes a long footnote which says, among other things,
that the first use of the Ganz system in commercial service was on
the Valtellina line near Lake Como in September...
Forum: London Transport October 26th 12, 06:59 AM
Replies: 45
Posted By Mark Brader
Ganz system (was: Amersham and Chesham)

To go off on a complete tangent does any one know if the 3000 volt
3 phase system the Metropolitan railway considered would have been
straightfoward to install, or would that have required...
Forum: London Transport May 30th 12, 12:16 AM
Replies: 55
Posted By Mark Brader
BML2/Crossrail Western Extensions.

Charles Ellson:
"The amount to be paid on the C stock is now 51 per cent. per year. If
this rate of interest is not paid to the C stock holders in each of
any three consecutive years after June...
Forum: London Transport May 29th 12, 10:13 PM
Replies: 55
Posted By Mark Brader
BML2/Crossrail Western Extensions.

Charles Ellson:
If it was stock not shares then there was no share ownership.

Your dialect differs from mine, then. As to the LPTB, I have
no more to add.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "*I* never...
Forum: London Transport May 29th 12, 06:59 AM
Replies: 55
Posted By Mark Brader
BML2/Crossrail Western Extensions.

Last week, I (Mark Brader) wrote:
The distinction is meaningful because from 1933 until 1947,
although London Transport had been forcibly unified and brought
under public control, its...
Forum: London Transport May 23rd 12, 08:00 AM
Replies: 55
Posted By Mark Brader
BML2/Crossrail Western Extensions.

Mark Brader:
And the authors of "Rails Through the Clay" were taken in by an
urban legend? I don't think so.

Specifically, what the book says is:

# GOVERNMENT DEEP SHELTERS
#
# The bombings...
Forum: London Transport May 22nd 12, 07:24 PM
Replies: 55
Posted By Mark Brader
BML2/Crossrail Western Extensions.

During WW2 a start was made on a main line gauge tube paralleling the
Northern line,

Details? First I've heard of such a scheme. There was the deep level
express lines, tube...
Forum: London Transport April 13th 12, 12:06 AM
Replies: 211
Posted By Mark Brader
Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

A straight line, down from the UK, takes one to New Zealand I
believe.

As others have noted, not exactly.

One wonders about gravity at the core, :-)

Inside a sphere of uniform density, the...
Forum: London Transport March 16th 12, 02:47 AM
Replies: 211
Posted By Mark Brader
London Crossrail tunnelling to start shortly

Roland Perry:
Surveying works because light travels in straight lines (or so the
Physicists tell us).

No, actually, what they tell us is that it travels in straight
lines *unless* it's...
Forum: London Transport March 10th 12, 10:45 PM
Replies: 36
Posted By Mark Brader
Why The Circle Line?

Joe Keane:
Run the Hammersmith & City more west, and have it take over the branch to
Richmond.

Peter Masson:
Too much has been built over, but the LSWR used to run a service from
Forum: London Transport March 2nd 12, 05:08 AM
Replies: 32
Posted By Mark Brader
Freight on the Metropolitan Line?

Mark Brader:
The Widened Lines... none of the books I checked
mention whether mixed-gauge track was installed; as you imply, it
would not have been needed.

Peter Masson:
H P...

Forum: London Transport March 1st 12, 04:34 AM
Replies: 32
Posted By Mark Brader
Freight on the Metropolitan Line?

"Bruce":
The Metropolitan Railway was originally built (from a junction with
the GWR at Paddington to Farringdon Street) to mixed standard and
broad gauge (7' 0¼") and was initially...
Forum: London Transport September 20th 11, 04:22 PM
Replies: 42
Posted By Mark Brader
WCML classic service after HS2

Richard J.:
Alstom have an alternative technology for 'heritage' streets which they
use in Bordeaux and elsewhere. This is APS ('alimentation par le sol'
or 'ground-supply') which is...
Forum: London Transport May 14th 10, 06:19 PM
Replies: 31
Posted By Mark Brader
May Modern Raiways, Map of London's Railways

Jack Taylor:
Similarly, on 20th May 1995, after working in on a railtour (Hertfordshire -
"The Pinner Pieman") from Waterloo, a 3H DEMU was used on the [Chesham]
branch in place of the A...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 393

Forum Jump