Old December 19th 09, 11:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Escalators at St Pancras International

When passing through the shopping mall (sorry, train access area) at
St Pancras last week I came across instructions on how to use an
escalator when traveling with a wheeled case. Apparently you put the
case on the right and stand on the left thus completely blocking the
normal walking route. I am sure that will prove popular. However, the
station management's arse is covered for H&S purposes I suppose.

MaxB

Old December 19th 09, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MaxB wrote

When passing through the shopping mall (sorry, train access area) at
St Pancras last week I came across instructions on how to use an
escalator when traveling with a wheeled case. Apparently you put the
case on the right and stand on the left thus completely blocking the
normal walking route. I am sure that will prove popular. However, the
station management's arse is covered for H&S purposes I suppose.

Is there a diagram ?

Because I think that might describe describes how I do it with my
wheeled case and I don't block the escalator.

Maybe I'm thinner ;-)

Place case as far to the right as possible, stand one step below with
right knee against the case, try to get left foot on same step as case

--
Mike D

Old December 20th 09, 06:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 01ca80e3$d895ade0$LocalHost@default, at 00:12:38 on Sun, 20
Dec 2009, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:

MaxB wrote
When passing through the shopping mall (sorry, train access area) at
St Pancras last week I came across instructions on how to use an
escalator when traveling with a wheeled case. Apparently you put the
case on the right and stand on the left thus completely blocking the
normal walking route.

Normal rules of "stand on the right and run up the left" don't seem to
apply to these escalators (even for people without luggage). Indeed, as
the years go by, I see that rule applied less to the UndergrounD as
well. I can recall when people standing on the left would be shouted at
by people trying to get past, but there are so many tourists around
nowadays, it seems locals are more relaxed about it.

I am sure that will prove popular. However, the
station management's arse is covered for H&S purposes I suppose.

Is there a diagram ?

Because I think that might describe describes how I do it with my
wheeled case and I don't block the escalator.

Maybe I'm thinner ;-)

Place case as far to the right as possible, stand one step below with
right knee against the case, try to get left foot on same step as case

It depends a bit on the form-factor of the bag. If it's a modern kind of
trolley-bag, then the best thing to do is have it one step behind you,
so you can pull it off behind you. And as most are taller than they are
wide, it's possible for people to get past.
Old December 20th 09, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message
MaxB wrote

When passing through the shopping mall (sorry, train access area) at
St Pancras last week I came across instructions on how to use an
escalator when traveling with a wheeled case. Apparently you put the
case on the right and stand on the left thus completely blocking the
normal walking route. I am sure that will prove popular. However, the
station management's arse is covered for H&S purposes I suppose.

Is there a diagram ?

Because I think that might describe describes how I do it with my
wheeled case and I don't block the escalator.

Maybe I'm thinner ;-)

Place case as far to the right as possible, stand one step below with
right knee against the case, try to get left foot on same step as case

--
Mike D

Sorry I didn't take a picture (to avoid arrest!) but it clearly showed a man
standing BESIDE his case with a big tick!

MaxB

Old December 20th 09, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 07:56:32 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

Normal rules of "stand on the right and run up the left" don't seem to
apply to these escalators (even for people without luggage). Indeed, as
the years go by, I see that rule applied less to the UndergrounD as
well. I can recall when people standing on the left would be shouted at
by people trying to get past, but there are so many tourists around
nowadays, it seems locals are more relaxed about it.

Hmm. In the peaks it certainly still seems "enforced". But it is a
peculiarly London thing - you won't see it on, say, Merseyrail -
people will just stand still on both sides.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old December 20th 09, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 20 Dec, 07:56, Roland Perry wrote:
In message 01ca80e3$d895ade0$LocalHost@default, at 00:12:38 on Sun, 20
Dec 2009, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:

*MaxB wrote

When passing through the shopping mall (sorry, train access area) at
St Pancras last week I came across instructions on how to use an
escalator when traveling with a wheeled case. Apparently you put the
case on the right and stand on the left thus completely blocking the
normal walking route.

Normal rules of "stand on the right and run up the left" don't seem to
apply to these escalators (even for people without luggage). Indeed, as
the years go by, I see that rule applied less to the UndergrounD as
well. I can recall when people standing on the left would be shouted at
by people trying to get past, but there are so many tourists around
nowadays, it seems locals are more relaxed about it.

So few escalators are working these days, everyone has got used to
walking.
Old December 22nd 09, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" wrote in message

Hmm. In the peaks it certainly still seems "enforced". But it is a
peculiarly London thing - you won't see it on, say, Merseyrail -
people will just stand still on both sides.

It can depend on how much traffic there is: the Victoria Line down escalator
at Victoria always seems to be stand both sides when I use it during the
evening peaks. Escalators shift more people if they're standing anyway.

D A Stocks

Old December 22nd 09, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"David A Stocks" wrote in message

It can depend on how much traffic there is: the Victoria Line down
escalator at Victoria always seems to be stand both sides when I use it
during the evening peaks. Escalators shift more people if they're
standing anyway.

I'd always understood that LU escalators weren't made to have people just
standing still on them and that it can cause them to pack up. Not sure how
right that is, though.

Ian

Old December 22nd 09, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David A Stocks" wrote in message
"Neil Williams" wrote in message

Hmm. In the peaks it certainly still seems "enforced". But it is a
peculiarly London thing - you won't see it on, say, Merseyrail -
people will just stand still on both sides.

It can depend on how much traffic there is: the Victoria Line down
escalator at Victoria always seems to be stand both sides when I use it
during the evening peaks. Escalators shift more people if they're
standing anyway.

D A Stocks

I don't think it is the wish of most of those using the escalators that they
have to stand, it is simply the number of people using them. As the
escalator rises/falls the gap between people is reduced, people stand more
stairs apart and capacity is reduced. Carrying capacity is less than when
the stair is completely horizontal because of the curve of the stair piece -
I am sure a mathematician can explain this more clearly.

I would be surprised if people standing still can be higher capacity than
people moving! You only have to come off a free moving 60mph road onto a
30mph road to know the traffic immediately closes up and slows down and
queues form.

MaxB

Old December 22nd 09, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian F." wrote in message
"David A Stocks" wrote in message

It can depend on how much traffic there is: the Victoria Line down
escalator at Victoria always seems to be stand both sides when I use it
during the evening peaks. Escalators shift more people if they're
standing anyway.

I'd always understood that LU escalators weren't made to have people just
standing still on them and that it can cause them to pack up. Not sure how
right that is, though.

Ian

There certainly used to be signs at some stations requesting users to stand
both sides when things get busy, and I've seen/heard LU staff with
megaphones asking people to do this at crowded stations when escalator
service is reduced for maintenance.

DAS