Old January 5th 10, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Extension Permits (OEPs)

In message ,
writes

South West Trains are proudly announcing at their stations (Putney anyway)
that none of their stations apart from Richmond and Wimbledon are selling
Oyster in any form.

Cue the further closure of SWT ticket offices as trade diminishes ...
--
Paul Terry
Old January 5th 10, 07:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Fig wrote:

Do you have a travelcard for any zones? If you do, I would say you are
good to stay on the train.

Yes but it's the "everyone must always touch in and out" problem. It could
be particularly messy on routes with semi-fast services and stations with
multiple routes to London where you don't know for sure which service you'll
be getting until it actually gets onto the platform.

Old January 6th 10, 01:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Jan 2010 18:55:06 GMT, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

asdf wrote

They'd only become redundant if the stations were also staffed while
open, since the barriers would have to be left open while the station
is unstaffed, which at many stations is most or all of the time.

Depends.

Thus some stations have a CCTV equiped Help Point, where the remote
operator can release the barrier gate for you (after looking at your,
perhaps paper, ticket).

Does the remote operator have to be on-site, or can they be miles away
in a control room somewhere?

Old January 6th 10, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Jan 2010 19:03:50 GMT, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote

How would you solve the other problem of people with season ticket
travelcards starting journeys outside London? e.g. if I go to stay

the night
in Surrey, I cannot get an overnight return extension - I have to buy

the
ticket on the day.

no overnight return (unless you are 35+ miles out perhaps)

but

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...asing_tickets/

You can buy Anytime and Off-Peak tickets up to a year in advance,
however you'll only be able to buy these over the telephone or at a
station ticket office.
==

So you can buy a BZ6 extension for today and a single for tomorrow

(a) before you start

or (b) the "ticket for tomorrow"after arrival if the ticket office is
open
or (c) from the arrival station's ticket machine as a "ticket for
tomorrow" after 15:00

(sigh)

This sub-thread is about a hypothetical requirement for all Oyster
Travelcard season holders to always touch in and touch out.
Old January 6th 10, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Tim Roll-Pickering
writes

Yes but it's the "everyone must always touch in and out" problem. It could
be particularly messy on routes with semi-fast services and stations with
multiple routes to London where you don't know for sure which service you'll
be getting until it actually gets onto the platform.

I still don't see the problem. You touch in at the start of your
journey, touch out at the end, and Oyster charges you the PAYG fare from
your starting station to the boundary of the outermost zone covered by
your travelcard. Exactly which route you take shouldn't need to come
into it.
--
Paul Terry
Old January 6th 10, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Tim Roll-Pickering
writes

Yes but it's the "everyone must always touch in and out" problem. It could
be particularly messy on routes with semi-fast services and stations with
multiple routes to London where you don't know for sure which service
you'll
be getting until it actually gets onto the platform.

I still don't see the problem. You touch in at the start of your journey,
touch out at the end, and Oyster charges you the PAYG fare from your
starting station to the boundary of the outermost zone covered by your
travelcard. Exactly which route you take shouldn't need to come into it.

I think the problem is that the previous poster has introduced a red herring
into the debate. The fact that a paper boundary zone extension to a
destination outside the zones is a day ticket is not new, and neither Oyster
PAYG on NR, or OEPs are irrelevant to that issue.

Nothing has changed in his situation since last year, AFAICT.

Paul S

Old January 6th 10, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

asdf wrote
On 5 Jan 2010 19:03:50 GMT, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote

in Surrey, I cannot get an overnight return extension - I have to

buy
the ticket on the day.

You can buy Anytime and Off-Peak tickets up to a year in advance,
however you'll only be able to buy these over the telephone or at a
station ticket office.
==

(sigh)

This sub-thread is about a hypothetical requirement for all Oyster
Travelcard season holders to always touch in and touch out.

Live with it.

If incorrect statements get made in a thread then of course thread
drift occurs.

Wait 'til we get (via the Oyster HelpLine) to the cost of 0845 numbers
(cheaper on a landline, more expensive on most mobiles)

http://www.saynoto0870.com suggests
ring 020 7222 5600 (-main TfL Switchboard - ask for Oystercard
Ticketing & Refunds -Available Monday-Friday 8am to 6pm only)

--
Mike D

Old January 6th 10, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Jan 2010 17:43:58 GMT, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

asdf wrote
On 5 Jan 2010 19:03:50 GMT, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

Tim Roll-Pickering wrote

in Surrey, I cannot get an overnight return extension - I have to

buy
the ticket on the day.

You can buy Anytime and Off-Peak tickets up to a year in advance,
however you'll only be able to buy these over the telephone or at a
station ticket office.
==

(sigh)

This sub-thread is about a hypothetical requirement for all Oyster
Travelcard season holders to always touch in and touch out.

Live with it.

If incorrect statements get made in a thread then of course thread
drift occurs.

Wait 'til we get (via the Oyster HelpLine) to the cost of 0845 numbers
(cheaper on a landline, more expensive on most mobiles)

My point was that the PP (as well as at least one other poster in this
sub-thread) had misunderstood the post he was replying to due to the
absence of this context.