Old January 6th 10, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Railway Atlas

Provided by Father Christmas (it was on my stocking list), this is an
amazing compilation of railway layouts past and present (and some
future) around London. I am going through the areas I know to pick up
the inevitable errors but it still seems an heroic effort to me.

I'd never heard of Commercial Dock station : anyone know where it was?

MaxB

Old January 6th 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, MaxB
writes

I'd never heard of Commercial Dock station : anyone know where it was?

It was on the London to Greenwich line, about half a mile west of Surrey
Canal junction. The name refers to the Surrey Commercial Docks (which
were not particularly close!).

There seems to be very little information about the station, and I have
no idea of dates, but the short-lived Southwark Station (1902-1915) was
built on or very close to the site.
--
Paul Terry
Old January 6th 10, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Terry
writes

but the short-lived Southwark Station (1902-1915) was built on or very
close to the site.

Sorry, I meant "Southwark Park" Station.
--
Paul Terry
Old January 7th 10, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message
, MaxB
writes

I'd never heard of Commercial Dock station : anyone know where it was?

It was on the London to Greenwich line, about half a mile west of Surrey
Canal junction. The name refers to the Surrey Commercial Docks (which were
not particularly close!).

There seems to be very little information about the station, and I have no
idea of dates, but the short-lived Southwark Station (1902-1915) was built
on or very close to the site.

The relative position of the station (1856-66) is clearly shown on two of
the maps, the enlargement on P52 being the better one. I can only assume the
OP is wondering where it sits on a streetmap, but when you look at how
little of Southwark Park remains visible from a passing train (located just
to the west) it is quite possible Commercial Dock was completely obliterated
much earlier. The site isn't noted in the current Quail track plans,
although Southwark Park is shown.

Paul S

Old January 7th 10, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message
, MaxB
writes

[...]

Actually I knew where it was (from the map!) but it was intended as a quiz
for those without the Atlas!!! Incidentally Southern Region Chronology and
Record shows it as Commercial DockS. Thanks anyway to all concerned.

MaxB

Old January 7th 10, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Batman55 wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

The relative position of the station (1856-66) is clearly shown on
two of the maps, the enlargement on P52 being the better one. I can
only assume the OP is wondering where it sits on a streetmap...

Actually I knew where it was (from the map!) but it was intended as a
quiz for those without the Atlas!!!

Ah - well that backfired a bit, I guess there are so many posters here who
will have that or the previous version of the Atlas - or both :-)

Paul S

Old January 12th 10, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:04:33 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

Batman55 wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

The relative position of the station (1856-66) is clearly shown on
two of the maps, the enlargement on P52 being the better one. I can
only assume the OP is wondering where it sits on a streetmap...

Actually I knew where it was (from the map!) but it was intended as a
quiz for those without the Atlas!!!

Ah - well that backfired a bit, I guess there are so many posters here who
will have that or the previous version of the Atlas - or both :-)

Paul S

it would be use full to know the publisher and author, so we would
know which atlas, you were talking about, I am sure there aerie many
such, my favorite is jowetts.
Old January 12th 10, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Batman55 wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote in message

The relative position of the station (1856-66) is clearly shown on
two of the maps, the enlargement on P52 being the better one. I can
only assume the OP is wondering where it sits on a streetmap...

Actually I knew where it was (from the map!) but it was intended as
a quiz for those without the Atlas!!!

Ah - well that backfired a bit, I guess there are so many posters
here who will have that or the previous version of the Atlas - or
both :-)

Paul S

it would be use full to know the publisher and author, so we would
know which atlas, you were talking about, I am sure there aerie many
such, my favorite is jowetts.

London Railway Atlas (as subject) - Joe Brown, Ian Allan.

But it was only assumed by the OP's context.

Paul

Old January 12th 10, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote on 12 January 2010
11:39:18 ...
wrote:

Batman55 wrote:
"Paul Scott" wrote in message
The relative position of the station (1856-66) is clearly shown on
two of the maps, the enlargement on P52 being the better one. I can
only assume the OP is wondering where it sits on a streetmap...

Actually I knew where it was (from the map!) but it was intended as
a quiz for those without the Atlas!!!

Ah - well that backfired a bit, I guess there are so many posters
here who will have that or the previous version of the Atlas - or
both :-)

it would be use full to know the publisher and author, so we would
know which atlas, you were talking about, I am sure there aerie many
such, my favorite is jowetts.

London Railway Atlas (as subject) - Joe Brown, Ian Allan.

But it was only assumed by the OP's context.

I've got the original edition of 2006, ISBN 0711031371

Is the new edition (2009, ISBN 0711033978) very different? Is it worth
buying if you've already got the first edition?

--
Richard J.
Old January 12th 10, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
om...
Paul Scott wrote on 12 January 2010

London Railway Atlas (as subject) - Joe Brown, Ian Allan.

But it was only assumed by the OP's context.

I've got the original edition of 2006, ISBN 0711031371

Is the new edition (2009, ISBN 0711033978) very different? Is it worth
buying if you've already got the first edition?

I think the main advantage is that the full A4 size allows it to show
individual single tracks throughout the book, rather than thick lines for
double tracks, so crossovers and the like are much more visible. Many of
the notes on the maps have also been expanded, but as far as I can see the
main map pages run in the same sequence. There are 6 pages of additional
insets at the end, and major rail stations now show internal layouts rather
than just being 'big red blocks'

Certainly a much clearer quality of mapping, and there's some extra
information in there. I don't think many would be disappointed with the new
version.

Paul S