Old December 13th 10, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kings X schematic map

In message , at 10:24:11 on Mon, 13 Dec
2010, Roland Perry remarked:
[1] Will there be some escalators up to the new KX booking hall,
from the vicinity of the corridor south from the Northern Ticket Hall?

There are three escalators and a staircase on the west side of the
Northern Ticket Hall (NTH), so that's round to the left as you come up
into the NTH from the underground, or immediately on your right if
entering via the subway from St Pancras. They bring you up to the
west side of the semicircular western concourse, (ie as far away from
the mainline platforms as you can get without going outside).

Those look to me as if they emerge "outside". And on my passageway
plans it's marked as the exit to KX-Central (the development beyond the
Gym), not the station itself.

Having now seen the same plans as yourself, I note that you are talking
about the escalators below, not the ones currently installed, leading to
outside.

#If you imagine a u-turn to the left at the top of the northern booking
#hall escalators (just outside the short barrier line) there's nothing
#on the building plans (other than a partition wall) at LUL booking hall
#level, and there's a "National Rail safeguarded escalator box" in that
#position on the ground floor.

Old December 13th 10, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
[...]

The way I'm describing it is that sheet 4 is the ground floor, and the bank
of three escalators is clearly within the boundary of the concourse, which
as can be seen today is at the same radius as the back wall of the Great
Northern Hotel. At 200% magnification, you can see what looks like a glazed
screen enclosing the escalators, with large openings in alternate bays, at a
radius of 62.370m.

Paul

Old December 13th 10, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:30:12 on
Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Paul Scott remarked:
[...]

I'm sure we are talking about the same ones. In other words:

there's one set of escalators which are there today, and lead to the
outside world with the Gym in front of you.

there will be, one day, a second set leading to indoors (but only just)
of the National Rail booking hall, which will be a "u-turn" to the left
from the current deep-tube escalators.
Old December 13th 10, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 17:30:12 on

I'm sure we are talking about the same ones. In other words:

there's one set of escalators which are there today, and lead to the
outside world with the Gym in front of you.

If I've got that right they are just stairs up though, not escalators. IE
on your right if you were looking towards the subway to St Pancras, adjacent
to LU lift no 11, and on reaching the surface you would have the suburban
platforms to your right, and the gym dead ahead.

there will be, one day, a second set leading to indoors (but only just) of
the National Rail booking hall, which will be a "u-turn" to the left from
the current deep-tube escalators.

Yes - that's the ones I meant. Perhaps we should leave this now though, as
no one else can see the pictures...

:-)

Paul

Old December 13th 10, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 12, 1:44*pm, (Roy Badami) wrote:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 13:10:48 on Sun, 12
Dec 2010, Roy Badami remarked:
The gates wee shut, but not locked, when I last saw it. (A member of
staff breezed through, but it was clearly not open to the public).

Do you recall where this route used to emerge at platform level? *Was
it at the gates at the end of the Eastbound platform?

Yes, and you can see it (s-shaped corridor) on my plan:

Thanks. *That might explain why the gates weren't locked, then.
There's a (permanent-looking) sign at the platform end which indicates
it as an 'emergency staircase' or some such.

Though that sign certainly doesn't look brand new -- I wonder if this
was always an emergency route, at least in recent times, but
occasionally pressed into public service during escalator work (or
possibly routinely to reduce overcrowing in the peaks?)

ICBW but I do seem to recall a time when the permanent signage pointed
towards the escalators, but (possibly only in the peaks) there was a
handwritten sign on a whiteboard directing Southbound passengers along
the passage under discussion.

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/kx-composite.jpg

Yes, your plan is actually quite useful once you know the general
layout of the station. *The first time I looked at it I just found it
overwhelming, but having spent a little time looking at the 3D plan I
can now see that there's a greater level of detail on your plan which
is quite instructive.

* * -roy

I made a point of checking today, and both ends of the passageway had
the concertina barriers across them. I wouldn't normally look,
because I'd come to the short escalators first and not check anything
else.