Old December 21st 03, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Default reducing congestion

Conor wrote:

Given the that the increased road congestion in Friday and Sunday
evenings is caused by many people going and from to their country
cottages for the weekend, isn't it time that second homes attracted a
punative rate of council tax?

Just how congested are the roads on Friday and Sunday evenings?
UIVMM they're far from the busiest times!

I drive nights down the A1/M1. On a Friday it is way busier than any
other night.

Of course it is, but isn't that just because other nights are quiet? How
does it compare with daytime traffic levels?

Apart from a few roads in city centers, are any roads really congested
at night? And are any likely to become so in the next ten years?

Old December 21st 03, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:

"PeterE" wrote the following in:

Conor wrote:

This applies to people living and working in a rural community.
People like agricultural workers.

Who nowadays are generally asylum seekers bussed in from the
nearest big city.

Stupid statements like that reveal nothing but your own idiocy.

The largest agricultural employer near me (one of the largest in its
field in the world) busses in workers from Portugal.

So much for supporting the local economy.

John B

Old December 21st 03, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

In article ,
says...
I can't say I have a second home, but why should a second home be heavily
taxed?

Because people who own 2 houses are clearly very rich, and the rich should
be targeted for tax for two reasons:

1) Social justice

I can't believe this!

I'm self employed in my spare time, to bring in some extra money.

As soon as I start doing this, the Government want £8 per month, plus 29%
(and then more in due course) of all of my profits.

Because I want to better myself, I have to pay the government almost a third
of what I earn.

If I want to save any of that money, I can only save a certain amount before
I start getting taxed on _that too_ (and as of 2006, I can save even less)

OTOH, I could lie about being disabled/unemployable, and let the same
government pick up the bill for me, (and because I've got nothing else to
do), my 10 children, while I watch Sky Sports all day in my 2 council houses
knocked together.

Social justice my arse!

An awful lot of the people out there who "are clearly very rich" also
clearly work very hard for their money.

(OTOH, there are some really rich chinless wonders out there who don't work
hard, but you can't tar everyone with the same brush)

Pete.

--
NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you
Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail
Old December 21st 03, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 04:07:37 +0000, Doki wrote:

Which ones would they be? I honestly can't think of anyone who wants work
but isn't allowed to. I can think of situations where it isn't worth
people's while working, but only on an anecdotal basis.

Asylum seekers?

Old December 21st 03, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

"Doki" wrote in message

"Mikael Armstrong" wrote in message
"Conor" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...

Well I'm sure permission could be granted for the construction of a

few
extra houses to satisfy some of the demand.

Nope. Govt policy on greenfield sites.

We know that! But perhaps that is the policy which should be modified!

Not
the taxation one.

Don't be daft, you'd upset the residents of the village...

Of course! They moan about expensive housing, but you can be sure they would
object to any new housing too.

Old December 21st 03, 11:05 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london

wrote:

says...

In the nearest town?
Just a suggestion...

They still can't really afford one on £12k.

What can you raise on a 12K salary?

£35,000 - £40,000?

You can still get a terraced house for that oop narth, can't you?