Old February 7th 12, 02:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Truck weights and bridges (was: Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes)

In article ,
Adam H. Kerman wrote:

But what about the way spans are designed to flex? There are several
trigonometric formulas that apply (that I never learned). Aren't there
instances in which the same live load on various wheelbases can positively
or negatively impact the span's flexibility by creating different kinds
of deflection?

Things get complicated, and messy, in the real world. wry grin

Longer distances between axles can serve to spread the load over a larger
part of the spam, without increasing peak loading.

Additional axles, on the same overall wheelbase, can reduce the 'rate of
change' of the load at a particular point, BUT they can also _increase_ the
peak load at a particular point. This can be significant, at/near the weakest
point -- mid-span.

'Drive' wheels apply different forces on a span than "non-drive" wheels do.
Powered axles, in addition to the 'down' force of the load, provide a 'push'
towards the rear of the vehicle. Un-powered ones have the effect of adding
a push towards the -front- of the vehicle. This adds increased compression
effects _between_ the drive and non-drive axles, an a reduction before the
drive axles, as well as after the non-drive ones. These forces aren't large,
but can make for some significant changes as they pass over the mid-span
'divide'.

Old February 12th 12, 08:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default Truck clearances and army transport

On 01-Feb-12 20:03, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Stephen Sprunk wrote:
On 01-Feb-12 14:33, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
Stephen Sprunk wrote:
It sounds like you're asking about civilian trucks, which are completely
irrelevant to the discussion; we're discussing highway standards to meet
_military_ needs.

God you are unbelievably thick. Army trucks that use civilian roads are
designed to travel on civilian roads. There is no other standard.

There _were_ no civilian highway standards at the time, Adam.

The "standard" was bridges and clearances that existed on public
highways. For the 27th time, these bridges and clearances were
designed to trucks and traffic of the era they were built in for
local traffic needs, not anticipating trucks of the future, not
antipating Army convoys.

*sigh* I never said that. You really need to learn to read what I
write rather than making up stuff just so you have something to argue with.

The solution chosen was to improve highways to meet the Army's needs,
not to downgrade the Army's military capabilities.

Bull****. If it were not anticipated that a large number of trucks FOR
CIVILIAN PURPOSES would ply the nation's highways, they wouldn't have
written standards to accomodate them. Interstates weren't built
for the United States Army.

So you think it's just a coincidence that the Interstate construction
standards happened to be exactly what the Army needed for their existing
equipment, as Gen. Eisenhower had experienced with the Autobahns in Germany?

Old February 24th 12, 02:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Default cards, was E-ZPass, was CharlieCards v.v. Oyster (and Octopus?)

John Levine writes:

I usually have a rule that if I can pay by cash for smaller purchases
then I do that.

Why? If you get points for every purchase, why not charge everything
you can? That's what I do.

Because I like my privacy. Marketers LOVE people who leave big wide trails.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old February 24th 12, 02:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

David Lesher writes:
I usually have a rule that if I can pay by cash for smaller purchases
then I do that.

Why? If you get points for every purchase, why not charge everything
you can? That's what I do.

Because I like my privacy. Marketers LOVE people who leave big wide trails.

Not to mention that using cash makes spending money somewhat more
visceral, which I kinda like... keeps spending down a bit maybe.

I find the U.S. credit/debit-card obsession just sort of weird...

-Miles

--
Innards, n. pl. The stomach, heart, soul, and other bowels.
Old February 24th 12, 03:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

Not to mention that using cash makes spending money somewhat more
visceral, which I kinda like... keeps spending down a bit maybe.

I find the U.S. credit/debit-card obsession just sort of weird...

Other than a few toonies and loonies (Google if you don't know what they
are) in the glove compartment for parking meters and they are not really
required as most meters take credit cards, I never carry cash.

My newest debit card, arrived yesterday, lets me use it like a credit card
for on-line purchases and like a credit card when travelling outside Canada,
although it still debits my bank account.

--
Cheers.

Roger Traviss

Photos of the late HO scale GER: -

http://www.greateasternrailway.com

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...Great_Eastern/

Old February 24th 12, 12:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

"Roger Traviss" writes:
Not to mention that using cash makes spending money somewhat more
visceral, which I kinda like... keeps spending down a bit maybe.

I find the U.S. credit/debit-card obsession just sort of weird...

Other than a few toonies and loonies (Google if you don't know what they
are) in the glove compartment for parking meters and they are not really
required as most meters take credit cards, I never carry cash.

Wacky!

-miles

--
"Suppose He doesn't give a ****? Suppose there is a God but He
just doesn't give a ****?" [George Carlin]
Old February 24th 12, 01:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:20:56 +0900
Miles Bader wrote:
"Roger Traviss" writes:
Not to mention that using cash makes spending money somewhat more
visceral, which I kinda like... keeps spending down a bit maybe.

I find the U.S. credit/debit-card obsession just sort of weird...

Other than a few toonies and loonies (Google if you don't know what they
are) in the glove compartment for parking meters and they are not really
required as most meters take credit cards, I never carry cash.

Wacky!

He must be one of those bloody annoying people who insist on paying for
a 2.50 sandwich with a credit card and causing a huge queue of ****ed off
hungry customers behind him.

B2003