Old April 12th 12, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster penalties again

In message , at 16:03:25 on
Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Paul Corfield remarked:

I am not going to share old documents.

That's not very open and transparent (something that Oyster needs to "up
its game" on, frankly). How is someone like Colin supposed to work out
what's happened to him?

What's today's equivalent of the £4.40/£6.50, and where would we find it
in the current document?

(I had a skim through and was bamboozled by the sheer number of
different fares).

Old April 12th 12, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:01:17 -0500,

wrote:

[snip]

Thoughts?

Kings Cross is an OSI. Did the other half use the Oyster Card to get
through the FCC gates for the train to Cambridge on the way home?

I very much doubt that. She would only expect to use Oyster on the
Underground and not all the station was even gated then. I suppose it
could have come too close to the gate when using her paper ticket but she
doesn't keep them in the same wallets so that seems a bit unlikely.

Hmm I'd be a bit surprised as the targets don't have a long range and
if the Oyster activated the gate before the mag ticket I guess your
wife would have noticed.

Therefore the system will have expected a subsequent exit and not
seeing one the max fare will have remained deducted rather than having
value added back on. That's the most plausible explanation I can come
up with.

Yes, I understand that possibility but there is the other charge.

It wouldn't be an issue the other way as I assume a paper ticket was
used to exit FCC and then the Oyster card used to start at the tube.

That wouldn't explain the £4.40 charge in the other direction where there
can be no question of any OSI confusion.

Fair comment Colin - I'd missed that. The only "logical" explanation
is that for some crazy reason you've ended up with two incomplete
journeys - one off peak and the other peak time. You've said the card
has only recorded the entries but no exits and as I'm sure you know
the system has levied the entry charges but not added value back to
get to the right fare deduction.

Sounds like it charged the maximum fares on entry but never checked them
out. I must get more detail by the sound of it.

It is obviously possible that gates are left open if there are very
large crowds and both Westminster and KXSP can have such large crowds.
Clearly the targets on the gates should remain live in such
circumstances to allow entries and exits to be recorded properly.
There is no obvious answer within the system that I can think of that
would have caused the problem you encountered.

I doubt that at Westminster. It has gates beyond the dreams of avarice! I've
never seen them open at any time.

It will be interesting to see how TfL deal with your query given the
elapsed time and lack of central records. Only the card will hold the
data unless there have been further journeys that may cause them to be
removed from the card's 10 journey memory.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to get a print out of the Journey
history. We'll be in London at various times next week. I could scan it and
send it in.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 13th 12, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:34:06
on Thu, 12 Apr 2012, remarked:
What's today's equivalent of the £4.40/£6.50, and where would we find
it in the current document?

(I had a skim through and was bamboozled by the sheer number of
different fares).

If have looked at current detailed online journey history for my own card.
Choosing the "Show all charging detail" option I see that the initial touch
in charge on all my recent journeys was £3.05. I guess that is the
railcard-discounted equivalent of £4.60 off peak.

I have a feeling from past discussion here that the no touch out peak fare
without a railcard is £7.

That would cover the £4.40 and £6.50 equivalents.

Looking at my own Oyster card, the current "Touch in deduction" seems to
be £4.60 and £6.90 (off-peak and peak).

Although just to keep people on their toes^H^H^H in the dark, this s not
mentioned in the 2012 fare rise documentation (equivalent to the 2011
one I posted yesterday):

I can't find the 'body' of the Jan 2012 fare rise decision on the Mayors
Site, but here is are the appendices:

http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/defau...tion%20for%20J
an%2012%20v5%20(2)%20tables_0.pdf

And as presented to Travelwatch:

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/document/14018/get

So, it looks like you have two unresolved journeys, where the touch-out
was missed. When it's busy at Kings Cross St Pancras, especially the old
ticket hall, it seems to me to again quite easy to inadvertently "follow
through" with your own touch-out not registering.
Old April 13th 12, 07:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:20:39 on Fri, 13 Apr
2012, Someone Somewhere remarked:
Whether they care or not (about getting them back), that doesn't change
the legal position wrt ownership.

Presumably they assert ownership as some way to increase the chance of
prosecution if you decide to hack "your" Oyster card?

Or if they discover dodgy behaviour going on they can invalidate and/or
confiscate cards (whilst paying back any pay as you go balance) without
you being able to accuse them of theft?

It may also be a belt-and-braces way to be able to ask to see the card,
because it's their card so they are entitled to see it (irrespective of
the general byelaws saying you have to make it available for
inspection).
Old April 13th 12, 08:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:28:13 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
It may also be a belt-and-braces way to be able to ask to see the card,
because it's their card so they are entitled to see it (irrespective of
the general byelaws saying you have to make it available for
inspection).

On a related subject - how much legal powers do revenue inspectors have?
If someone just tells them to eff off is there much they can do about it
apart from call the BTP?

B2003

Old April 13th 12, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
16:34:06 on Thu, 12 Apr 2012,
remarked:

http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/defau...%20for%20Jan%2
012%20v5%20(2)%20tables_0.pdf

And as presented to Travelwatch:

http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/document/14018/get

So, it looks like you have two unresolved journeys, where the
touch-out was missed. When it's busy at Kings Cross St Pancras,
especially the old ticket hall, it seems to me to again quite easy to
inadvertently "follow through" with your own touch-out not
registering.

And at Westminster off peak with its enormous gateline? Seems odd. She
doesn't recall too much detail because of the following day's drama.

Too late now but I have advised my wife to follow my technique. I lay the
car down on the pad and wait till I see the balance.

--
Colin Rosenstiel