Old June 12th 12, 05:50 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Epping - Ongar Railway Now Open

On Jun 7, 11:07*am, wrote:

Then stick a trolley pole on the stock,

Or do it like this .... yes yes I know its been posted before ... at
about 0:27, 0:54 and 1:20 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=unhXEQQk8G8

--
Nick

Old June 12th 12, 09:45 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On 12 June, 18:42, D7666 wrote:
Has anyone seen the rusty tube loco. wreck outside Epping Station? It
looks like a long abandoned battery loco.

Not a battery loco.

It is L11, *1960s built out of two ex-"standard" stock motor coaches,
each cut in half, and the two motorised ends mated to make a BoBo out
of what were two Bo2 cars. Straight electric, not battery, its motors
pairs in series only, no parallel, for slow speed shunting. Was the
Acton works shunter until early 1990s or so.

--
Nick

Thank you for the info. Interesting. Wonder why it was left there
though?

CJB.
Old June 12th 12, 09:51 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:45:50 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

On 12 June, 18:42, D7666 wrote:
Has anyone seen the rusty tube loco. wreck outside Epping Station? It
looks like a long abandoned battery loco.

Not a battery loco.

It is L11, *1960s built out of two ex-"standard" stock motor coaches,
each cut in half, and the two motorised ends mated to make a BoBo out
of what were two Bo2 cars. Straight electric, not battery, its motors
pairs in series only, no parallel, for slow speed shunting. Was the
Acton works shunter until early 1990s or so.

--
Nick

Thank you for the info. Interesting. Wonder why it was left there
though?

Sent there by the Cravens Heritage people for "restoration and static
display" :-
http://www.cravensheritagetrains.co.uk/L11.htm
Old June 12th 12, 10:59 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On 12/06/2012 21:06, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 10:50:24 -0700 (PDT), D7666
wrote:

Then stick a trolley pole on the stock,

Or do it like this .... yes yes I know its been posted before ... at
about 0:27, 0:54 and 1:20 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=unhXEQQk8G8

yep seen it a couple of times. But something I had never noticed
before at about 49 seconds in is the spark from the wheel of the the
leading truck as they push back. I doubt if it is current returning
through all the couplings and wagons,more likely the weight of the
wagon is closing a connection between the rail ends.

G.Harman

That's very interesting, for I had no idea that there was any sort of
electric propulsion systems on rails in Albania.

I have heard rumours in the past, however, that there are plans to build
a light rail in Tirana.

Anyway, if anybody is interested, I found HSH's official website.

Old June 14th 12, 07:23 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On Jun 2, 7:13*pm, e27002 wrote:
On Jun 2, 7:02*pm, SB wrote:

Surprisingly this is a topic missed by the Group.

And what a great line it is turning out to be. This morning we went to
Epping on the Central Line where we were picked up by a Green Line
Routemaster. Great ride through Epping. It was one of those buses with
the little handles on the top deck to wind down the windows.

Then at North Weald there is an option of a diesel shuttle into Epping
Forest. Or a steam hauled trip to Ongar and back.

But the highlight of the trip was talking to the volunteer staff. Very
friendly, informative, and "thank you for visiting us."

We got a look into the emaculately restored (or being worked upon)
signal boxes. And the stations have had some great restoration work
done on them.

The coaching stock was a bit grubby but what would you expect being ex-
BR.

If you are in London then do take a trip on this great little line.

Sounds like an interesting line to visit.

Is there anything of Tube, or LT interest?

Great link he

http://holdenf5.co.uk/epping-ongar/

Old June 14th 12, 11:10 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Jun 14, 8:23*am, CJB wrote:
On Jun 2, 7:13*pm, e27002 wrote:

On Jun 2, 7:02*pm, SB wrote:

[...]

Thank you, good site.
Old June 24th 12, 05:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:02:15 -0700 (PDT)
CJB wrote:
ELEVEN POUNDS FOR A SIX MILE DIESEL JOURNEY IS MORE EXPENSIVE PER MILE
THAN THAT OTHER RIP-OFF THE HEX FROM PADDINGTON TO HEATHROW !!!!!!!

Its a heritage railway and all heritage railways cost a fortune because
they're tourist attractions, not commuter services. Only a bloody idiot
wouldn't realise this.

AND WITH THE RUDEST STAFF WE HAVE EVER MET EVEN ABOVE WHAT BR STAFF
USED TO BE.

If you were like this on the phone I'd have slammed it down on you too.

B2003

Old June 25th 12, 08:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

*wrote:
ELEVEN POUNDS FOR A SIX MILE DIESEL JOURNEY IS MORE EXPENSIVE PER MILE
THAN THAT OTHER RIP-OFF THE HEX FROM PADDINGTON TO HEATHROW !!!!!!!

Eleven pounds for six miles one-way (£1.83 per mile) does seem a little
steep by heritage diesel standards. The Wensleydale Railway currently
charges eight pounds for sixteen miles (50p per mile).

Ian

Which is probably why few visit it after lunch. Apart from the bus
service(s) not connecting with the train services by minutes, the £11
is a full day rover deal which can really only be enjoyed if arriving
in the morning. From what I have heard the trains in the afternoon are
largely empty, and the last trains of the day completely empty. CJB.
Old June 25th 12, 08:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 25/06/12 09:24, CJB wrote:
On Jun 25, 5:06 am, The Real wrote:

Eleven pounds for six miles one-way (£1.83 per mile) does seem a little
steep by heritage diesel standards. The Wensleydale Railway currently
charges eight pounds for sixteen miles (50p per mile).

Which is probably why few visit it after lunch. Apart from the bus
service(s) not connecting with the train services by minutes, the £11
is a full day rover deal which can really only be enjoyed if arriving
in the morning. From what I have heard the trains in the afternoon are
largely empty, and the last trains of the day completely empty. CJB.

The Wensleydale Railway charges £15 for a day rover, which is very
reasonable.

I've just had a look at their timetable, and it's insane. They must have
spend days working on heritage bus times which miss as many trains as
possible. The 13.35 in question misses departures in both directions by
just a few minutes - but all the previous buses are at xx.25 which would
connect with both trains.

Ian