Old February 15th 06, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Default Northern Line Interchange

Hope someone can help

I am travelling to Gatwick on Saturday evening.

Will be travelling southbound Northern Line and changing to Thameslink at
either Kings Cross or London Bridge.

I will have luggage so want to have the least amount of stairs to negotiate.
Any one know ?

I already have tickets, any info on platform exits would be also
appreciated.

Old February 15th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sam" typed

Hope someone can help

I am travelling to Gatwick on Saturday evening.

Will be travelling southbound Northern Line and changing to Thameslink at
either Kings Cross or London Bridge.

I will have luggage so want to have the least amount of stairs to
negotiate.
Any one know ?

I already have tickets, any info on platform exits would be also
appreciated.

'If I were you, I wouldn't start from here.'...

King Cross Thameslink is a very long trek from the Tube.
I've never taken Thameslink from London Bridge but all I can recall is a
series of LONG ramps connected by a passage.

Where, exactly are you travelling from?

Have you considered getting a local Thameslink train from, for example,
Mill Hill Broadway, an changing to a Gatwick train somewhere down the
line?

IIRC Kentish Town is not an easy place to schlep luggage, but

ANYTHING IS EASIER THAN KINGS CROSS THAMESLINK

PS The Victoria Gatwick Express thing also involves much walking...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 15th 06, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

King Cross Thameslink is a very long trek from the Tube.
I've never taken Thameslink from London Bridge but all I can recall is a
series of LONG ramps connected by a passage.

IIRC Kentish Town is not an easy place to schlep luggage, but

ANYTHING IS EASIER THAN KINGS CROSS THAMESLINK

Eh? It's an escalator from the Northern line to the Picc concourse,
then a ramp straight to the TL station. It's a nightmare from the
Circle/Met, and it's a delight (well, almost) from the Victoria, but
I'd say it was an easier interchange than average.

London Bridge, on the other hand, is horrible.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old February 15th 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:00:33 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

"Sam" typed

Hope someone can help

I am travelling to Gatwick on Saturday evening.

Will be travelling southbound Northern Line and changing to Thameslink at
either Kings Cross or London Bridge.

I will have luggage so want to have the least amount of stairs to
negotiate.
Any one know ?

I already have tickets, any info on platform exits would be also
appreciated.

'If I were you, I wouldn't start from here.'...

King Cross Thameslink is a very long trek from the Tube.

Agreed!

I've never taken Thameslink from London Bridge but all I can recall is a
series of LONG ramps connected by a passage.

And that is after you have come up the escalator and another
staircase.

Where, exactly are you travelling from?

Have you considered getting a local Thameslink train from, for example,
Mill Hill Broadway, an changing to a Gatwick train somewhere down the
line?

IIRC Kentish Town is not an easy place to schlep luggage,

Best of a bad lot (if you are coming from the Barnet line) - escalator
up and then bridge and staircase down to the platform. But you need
to change again, Blackfriars perhaps, to get a Gatwick train.

--
Peter Lawrence
Old February 15th 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

wrote:

[...]

I am travelling from Woodside Park.

Would prefer to go get on a train and not have to change.. Will have a fair
bit of luggage.

Old February 15th 06, 05:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Feb 2006 08:07:18 -0800, "John B" wrote:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

King Cross Thameslink is a very long trek from the Tube.
I've never taken Thameslink from London Bridge but all I can recall is a
series of LONG ramps connected by a passage.

IIRC Kentish Town is not an easy place to schlep luggage, but

ANYTHING IS EASIER THAN KINGS CROSS THAMESLINK

Eh? It's an escalator from the Northern line to the Picc concourse,
then a ramp straight to the TL station. It's a nightmare from the
Circle/Met, and it's a delight (well, almost) from the Victoria, but
I'd say it was an easier interchange than average.

To be strictly correct you have a small escalator from the Northern to
the Picc Line level. Then a walk on the flat to a staircase that you
walk up. Then you have the first ramp which levels at the top of the
stairs from the Vic Line. You then have ramp number 2 to the lower level
at Thameslink. I think you then have an escalator up to the Thameslink
platform but it may be a staircase - I can't remember what goes to the
ticket hall and what goes to the platform.

This takes 5 or 6 minutes at a quick walking pace assuming you get off
the front of the Northern Line train at Kings Cross. With luggage -
that I assume the poster can carry without having to leave it at the
bottom of stairs and then make repeat trips - I would reckon on at least
10 probably 15 minutes as all the ramps are uphill.

London Bridge, on the other hand, is horrible.

Is it? Isn't it a corridor then escalator up to Tube Ticket Hall level
then through the ticket gates? Then up another escalator to an
intermediate level opposite the ramps that lead up to the through
platforms at London Bridge main line. The other advantage at London
Bridge is that it is an accessible station so there are lifts within the
Tube Station that would get you to the Main Line concourse. You then
have to navigate the TOC gateline and corridors up to the through
platforms. A complex station I agree but there are far more lifts and
escalators and it is likely to be less busy than Kings Cross on a
Saturday evening.

Neither option is ideal as the interchange is convoluted.

I was going to suggest heading from Woodside Park to Mill Hill Broadway
by bus and then picking up Thameslink from there but that's a waste of
time because trains serving Mill Hill go to Sutton so it would mean a
change elsewhere between Thameslink trains. The same applies for Kentish
Town.

--
Paul C

Old February 15th 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sam" wrote in message
Hope someone can help

I am travelling to Gatwick on Saturday evening.

Will be travelling southbound Northern Line and changing to Thameslink at
either Kings Cross or London Bridge.

I will have luggage so want to have the least amount of stairs to
negotiate. Any one know ?

I already have tickets, any info on platform exits would be also
appreciated.

Well if you have a few hours to waste you could always do Northern to Euston
(Bank Branch), Victoria to Finsbury Park, Piccadilly to Manor House,
Piccadilly to Barons Court, District to Gunnersbury, District to Monument,
Circle to Farringdon, Thameslink to Gatwick. It may not be the quickest
route but it is all cross-platform interchanges!

Peter Smyth

Old February 15th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message
"Sam" wrote in message
Hope someone can help

I am travelling to Gatwick on Saturday evening.

Will be travelling southbound Northern Line and changing
to Thameslink at either Kings Cross or London Bridge.

Well if you have a few hours to waste you could
always do Northern to Euston (Bank Branch),

.... Victoria to Warren Street, ...

Victoria to Finsbury Park, Piccadilly to Manor House, Piccadilly to Barons
Court, District to Gunnersbury,
District to Monument, Circle to Farringdon,
Thameslink to Gatwick. It may not be the quickest route but it is all
cross-platform

.... or same-platform ...

interchanges!

Old February 16th 06, 07:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Well if you have a few hours to waste you could always do Northern to
Euston (Bank Branch), Victoria to Finsbury Park, Piccadilly to Manor
House, Piccadilly to Barons Court, District to Gunnersbury, District to
Monument, Circle to Farringdon, Thameslink to Gatwick. It may not be the
quickest route but it is all cross-platform interchanges!

LOL

You forgot the half-a-dozen steps at Farringdon! g

--
Peter

Old February 16th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Peter Smyth wrote:
Well if you have a few hours to waste you could always do Northern to Euston
(Bank Branch), Victoria to Finsbury Park, Piccadilly to Manor House,
Piccadilly to Barons Court, District to Gunnersbury, District to Monument,
Circle to Farringdon, Thameslink to Gatwick. It may not be the quickest
route but it is all cross-platform interchanges!

Who said the tube wasn't accessible? =:-o

Sam