Old October 7th 06, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow to Blackheath?

MIG wrote:

AstraVanMan wrote:

(snip)

And from what someone else said, going from the tube to mainline station at
London Bridge is probably almost as much of a pain in the neck as it is at
Charing Cross from the Bakerloo line. I wouldn't bother with Southwark to
Waterloo East though - a quick look on a map reveals it to be a longer walk
than at Charing Cross.

Don't think so. The Bakerloo platforms are under Cockspur Street. The
Jubilee platforms are to the West of Blackfriars Road.

As I state elsewhere Southwark to Waterloo East is a direct interchange
- you don't have to leave the station premises to get from platform to
platform.

To be honest, this is all a bit academic. I don't think that the
journey is actually possible in the time specified. Probably won't
even be out of Heathrow by the time required to be in Blackheath.

Yeah, getting through Heathrow can be pretty slow. The flight might
well be late in (could be late starting out in fact), you can spend a
bit of time trundling around the taxiways of Heathrow before you even
get out, baggage reclaim can take an age (if you've got baggage in the
hold of course), etc etc.

However if the OP's got the money then a mad dash across south London
in a black cab could be fun - cutting through south London is all about
knowing the sly backstreet routes.

Old October 7th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jkf wrote:
I'm trying to do something that may be impossible...help would be
appreciated. I will be arriving Friday night at Heathrow in a few
weeks. I imagine I'll be out of customs by 10:00 pm. Is there any way
I can arrive in Blackheath, where I will be staying by 11:00 pm? Here
are some questions...

1. If I got a cab at the airport, how long would it take and about how
much would that cost (approximately) to get to Blackheath? (I'm afraid
to hear the answer, because I recall that cabs in London were a King's
ransom.)

2. Can I take either the Heathrow Express or the Underground at
Heathrow and get off someplace in London from which I could get a cab?
What stop would I get out at? Would this save time or money? Would it
be safe?

3. Does the Heathrow Express make stops between the Airport and
Paddington? Where do you catch the Picadilly Line at Heathrow?

I look forward to receiving information.

Thank you.

JKF

Heathrow to Blackheath in an hour would be a struggle by any mode of
transport. More like 1:30 on a good day. And probably closer to 2 hours
in reality.

Depending on terminal it can take about 15 minutes just to get from the
exit of customs to either the Underground or Heathrow Express.

Suggestions above are fine. Although I would think the cabbie would
have to go some speed and know his way around to get to Blackheath in
1hr. So you'll have to tell them you want to get there by 11pm and let
them know you are in a rush.

BTW. Why do you so urgently need to get to Blackheath for 11?

Anyway, another possible route not mentioned and a good alternative
Heathrow route period is to travel via Feltham. 285 bus or cab ride to
Feltham is no more than 5-10 minutes.
Then fast train to Waterloo. Walk over to Waterloo East and the train
to Blackheath.
Zone 1-6 travelcard will do you for the journey so it's the same price
as the choob if you take the 285 bus.
Trains will be fairly empty and SWT trains have nice new airconditioned
rolling stock.
Same amount of changes as the tube in central london and probably less
stressful.

A.

Old October 7th 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 7 Oct 2006 06:46:45 -0700, "Londoncityslicker"
wrote:

Jkf wrote:
[...]

My only comment on the above would be that Waterloo and Waterloo East
will be busy. A better explanation of the relationship and link between
the Waterloo Stations would help a stranger as it's not that obvious and
I've always found big main line stations to be moderately bewildering
places the first time I've ever used them - whether in the UK or
elsewhere. That's partly why I went into such excruciating detail in my
first response - trying to make an "alien" environment as understandable
as possible.
--
Paul C

Old October 7th 06, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:

Jkf wrote:
[...]

If I'd been more on the ball, the correct response would have been "If
I was going to Blackheath, I wouldn't start from Heathrow.".

Old October 7th 06, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Londoncityslicker" wrote:
Heathrow to Blackheath in an hour would be a struggle by any mode of
transport. More like 1:30 on a good day. And probably closer to 2 hours
in reality.

Nah, most of the services are pretty frequent and reliable - within 1h15m
from the Heathrow Express departing to the train pulling up in Blackheath
should be quite possible. Simple things like getting near the front of the
hEx train to get straight down to the tube, and changing at the right places
(i.e. easy ones) will help a lot.

Depending on terminal it can take about 15 minutes just to get from the
exit of customs to either the Underground or Heathrow Express.

Suppose there is that....

Suggestions above are fine. Although I would think the cabbie would
have to go some speed and know his way around to get to Blackheath in
1hr.

Well they should know their way around, given that they've all got the
Knowledge.

So you'll have to tell them you want to get there by 11pm and let
them know you are in a rush.

BTW. Why do you so urgently need to get to Blackheath for 11?

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Old October 7th 06, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jkf Jkf is offline

Thank you so much for your help. I am amazed, and delighted, that so
many people took the time to try and figure this one out for me! I'm
working on it!

Joanne

AstraVanMan wrote:
"Jkf" wrote:
I'm trying to do something that may be impossible...help would be
appreciated. I will be arriving Friday night at Heathrow in a few
weeks. I imagine I'll be out of customs by 10:00 pm. Is there any way
I can arrive in Blackheath, where I will be staying by 11:00 pm?

You should manage it within the hour, I'd have thought.

1. If I got a cab at the airport, how long would it take and about how
much would that cost (approximately) to get to Blackheath? (I'm afraid
to hear the answer, because I recall that cabs in London were a King's
ransom.)

There's a London cabbie that hangs around in here (Mike Hughes IIRC) so he
should be able to answer that one.....

2. Can I take either the Heathrow Express or the Underground at
Heathrow and get off someplace in London from which I could get a cab?
What stop would I get out at? Would this save time or money? Would it
be safe?

Depends how much luggage you've got. The Piccadilly line is a slow trek
into London so I wouldn't recommend that, but OTOH the Heathrow Express is
expensive, but much quicker. If you take the latter, the Bakerloo Line is
the easiest to get to from the mainline trains, which is handy as that's
what you want. From there you could either stay on until Charing Cross and
get the mainline train to Blackheath, or change at Baker Street for the
Jubilee Line, get off at London Bridge, and get a train from there. That's
possibly easier as there's quite a walk from the Bakerloo Line to the
mainline station at Charing Cross, and I *think* that it's easier at London
Bridge. Also, changing at Baker Street is very easy as it's a
cross-platform interchange, so a quick dash across the platforms - no
stairs/escalators involved.

Have a look on www.journeyplanner.org - a quick look says it'll take about 1
hour 8 minutes. At a guess a taxi should easily beat that, but obviously it
comes at a price.

3. Does the Heathrow Express make stops between the Airport and
Paddington? Where do you catch the Picadilly Line at Heathrow?

Either the main T1-2-3 or T4 station - not completely sure on that one to be
honest, but I think they're part of the same stations as the tube stations.

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Old October 7th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jkf Jkf is offline

I have been amazed by and grateful for all the responses to my note.
I'm working on figuring out the best method.

Many thanks,

Joanne

Old October 7th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jkf wrote:

Thank you so much for your help. I am amazed, and delighted [...]

.... and possibly ever so slightly disturbed?! ;-) ...

[...] that so
many people took the time to try and figure this one out for me! I'm
working on it!

Joanne

Apols for referring to you as a he - I saw JKF and thought you were
possibly the somewhat confused ghost of Camelot who'd got their
initials muddled up, hence I erroneously assigned you the male gender.

You could always try these boys...

http://www.virgin.com/subsites/virginlimobike/link.html

....it's out of their normal hours but they're "open to queries" about
out of hours jobs, presumably so long as your purse is open for them to
take out a fat wedge of notes!

I'd offer you a lift myself, but my bike doesn't go that fast,
something to do with it being powered by my legs or something.