Old November 16th 08, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services [OT]

In article ,
(Walter Briscoe) wrote:

I much prefer a black
cab to the green and white saloons used by most Brighton taxis.

Others prefer saloons as easier to get into, my mother for example, a
typical older person who has difficulty with the high step into black cabs.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 16th 08, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Hughes wrote:

Years ago taxi drivers would usually pick up a woman on her own first
to make sue she was taken home safely. Now they would be the last to
be taken, particularly late at night when they are going a longer
distance, tired and drunk - can you imagine the uproar if they fall
asleep and you try to wake them up! At least with a man you can
usually wake them by shaking as a very last resort!

Mike, recent events have made you forget the real reason you have a fire
extinguisher under your seat!

Old November 16th 08, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Mike Hughes wrote:

In message ,
writes
"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message

I've never used a Private Hire service. I strongly approve of the
quality of the service offered by London's taxis. I much prefer a
black cab to the green and white saloons used by most Brighton taxis.

Some of the drivers of black cabs can leave a great deal to be desired,
as I'm sure that many on this group could tell you.

I can't argue with that. The same is true for every occupation. Trouble
is the bad ones will always get the publicity. [...] If just one taxi
driver says or does something that upsets someone then there is often a
great furore. Unfortunately life just isn't balanced.

Based on my experience as a cyclist, it's not a minority of bad apples.
Black cab drivers are almost universally aggressive and inconsiderate
drivers.

I doubt if there are many on this group who know about the weekend
outing to Disneyland with 100 taxis which took place in October all at
no cost to the disabled and disadvantaged kids and their carers.

I didn't - that's a sterling effort.

I'm reminded of the annual charity trip the Woolwich ferry crews do, which
takes one of the ferries up through Tower Bridge. I wonder how many other
transport modes in London do things like that? I can't quite see how it'd
work with the trams!

tom

--
Understanding the universe is the final purpose, as far as I'm
concerned. -- Ian York

Old November 16th 08, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Mike Hughes wrote:

I doubt if there are many on this group who know about the weekend
outing to Disneyland with 100 taxis which took place in October all
at no cost to the disabled and disadvantaged kids and their carers.

I didn't - that's a sterling effort.

I'm reminded of the annual charity trip the Woolwich ferry crews do,
which takes one of the ferries up through Tower Bridge.

I bet the crews don't pay for the fuel, so it sounds like as much of a treat
for the crew as for anyone else.

Old November 16th 08, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Hughes wrote:
In message , Vec Est. 2003
writes

London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services

The book on a taxi trip to the airport from Gatwick to Heathrow from
Stansted; from Luton to Gatwick. Transfers cheap shuttle/bus to
London Airports. Online booking available. Book a trip
air-conditioned car service in London with a qualified guide city of
London Gatwick, or just check the online arrivals with travel and
family visits to London and tourist attractions, hotels in London.
London Gatwick Airport Taxi Services provide comprehensive solution
and ultimate transport to Heathrow.

There are several indicators that this is not all they would have you
believe.

First of all this appears to be a Private Hire (minicab) service and
not taxis. The way that they present themselves is also illegal as
they are not allowed to suggest that they are a *taxi* service.

Last night I mailed the contact address given on their site to ask what
their operator's licence number was, as I couldn't find it in the PCO
database. They replied today to say that they are in the process of
obtaining the licence from the PCO, and until they get it they can't accept
direct bookings. But they'll try to help anyone individually by passing
them on to a suitable licensed operator.

So why did the OP start this thread at all, and why did he say "online
booking available"? The online booking page now says in large red letters
"Quick Quote & Booking System is temporarily offline. Sorry for any
inconvenience caused." Does anyone know if it said that yesterday before I
wrote to them?
--
Richard J.

Old November 16th 08, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

Last night I mailed the contact address given on their site to ask
what their operator's licence number was, as I couldn't find it in
the PCO database.

Gatwick is not in London and so would not be controlled by the PCO anyway.

Old November 16th 08, 04:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Last night I mailed the contact address given on their site to ask
what their operator's licence number was, as I couldn't find it in
the PCO database.

Gatwick is not in London and so would not be controlled by the PCO
anyway.

But they say they are based in Croydon, and offer transfers from Heathrow
too, so they are certainly advertising journeys wholly within London.
--
Richard J.

Old November 16th 08, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Mike Hughes" wrote in message

Very often *more* abusive and whereas you can give a bit of verbal back to
a group of men it's absolutely impossible with women as they will
immediately complain, even when they are at fault.

I actually heard that hte concern is that they can go ballistic, rather than
complain.

Years ago taxi drivers would usually pick up a woman on her own first to
make sue she was taken home safely. Now they would be the last to be
taken, particularly late at night when they are going a longer distance,
tired and drunk - can you imagine the uproar if they fall asleep and you
try to wake them up! At least with a man you can usually wake them by
shaking as a very last resort!

One cabbie told me that he had to ask the police to wake up a female
passenger for him. When the male officer did that, however, she started to
swear at him.