Old October 11th 03, 04:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Real Underground Map

"Richard J." wrote in message
Alan O'Brien wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Peter Sumner wrote:
On 8 Oct 2003 16:51:47 -0700, (Sam) wrote:

I've been reading some posts recently that asked about the
availability of a geographical underground map. FYI, I have
designed a flash animation with collaboration with the London
Transport Museum that shows the relationship between the London
Underground Map, a geographical map and shows a streetmap too -
just in case there are any doubters. Just thought you might find
it interesting...
Click on the link to The Real Underground at:
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

Its fascinating, I'd seen it before but had not noticed you could
superimpose the street map.

One small issue is that in the cartographic version Farringdon (I
think) has been incorrectly labeled as Moorgate. It's a shame you
have not indicated the positions of all of the stations, then I
could be sure it was Farringdon and not Barbican.

Yes, it is Farringdon, because that's where the bend in the Circle
line occurs.

It's very well done, even including gradual colour changes for the
lines that changed colour after 1933 (e.g. Bakerloo red to brown).
If I may suggest one change, it would be to include the kink in the
Waterloo and City, which runs from Waterloo to Blackfriars, then
turns right to run underneath Queen Victoria Street (nearly) as far
as Bank.

If there are any more criticisms then the map is simply going to be
thrown into the dustbin.
OK?

You'd better tell that to the bloke that asked for a circular Circle line,
then.

Fair enough.
Actually, now I think about it, a rectangular Circle Line would be easier.
Alan

Old October 11th 03, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Alan O'Brien wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Alan O'Brien wrote:

If there are any more criticisms then the map is simply going to be
thrown into the dustbin.
OK?

You'd better tell that to the bloke that asked for a circular Circle
line, then.

Fair enough.
Actually, now I think about it, a rectangular Circle Line would be
easier. Alan

The Beck diagram had a rectangular Circle Line from 1954 to 1959.
--
Richard J.
Old October 11th 03, 10:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Sam" wrote in message
om...

Click on the link to The Real Underground at:
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

Excellent!

Since the Beck and the geographical are more similar to each other than
either is to the current geometrical, would it be possible to switch between
them without going via the current geographical? (I don't have a clue how
much effort it would be to achieve this: apologies if I've asked for too
much.)

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old October 11th 03, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote the following in:

Alan O'Brien wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Alan O'Brien wrote:

If there are any more criticisms then the map is simply going
to be thrown into the dustbin.
OK?

You'd better tell that to the bloke that asked for a circular
Circle line, then.

Fair enough.
Actually, now I think about it, a rectangular Circle Line would
be easier. Alan

The Beck diagram had a rectangular Circle Line from 1954 to 1959.

And there was a prototype drawing by Beck of an oval shaped circle
line.

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.
Old October 11th 03, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

(Sam) wrote in message . com...
I've been reading some posts recently that asked about the
availability of a geographical underground map. FYI, I have designed a
flash animation with collaboration with the London Transport Museum
that shows the relationship between the London Underground Map, a
geographical map and shows a streetmap too - just in case there are
any doubters. Just thought you might find it interesting...
Click on the link to The Real Underground at:
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

That is excellent!
Working for the Underground, I have to admit that I've been having
sacrilegious thoughts about the Beck type map for a while now.
It may be time we thought about having a more realistic version for
visitors to London; if only to replace the Connections map.

Kat

Old October 12th 03, 05:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Kat) wrote the following in:

(Sam) wrote in message
. com...
I've been reading some posts recently that asked about the
availability of a geographical underground map. FYI, I have
designed a flash animation with collaboration with the London
Transport Museum that shows the relationship between the London
Underground Map, a geographical map and shows a streetmap too -
just in case there are any doubters. Just thought you might find
it interesting... Click on the link to The Real Underground at:
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

That is excellent!
Working for the Underground, I have to admit that I've been having
sacrilegious thoughts about the Beck type map for a while now.
It may be time we thought about having a more realistic version
for visitors to London; if only to replace the Connections map.

I do think it would be a good idea to have both a geographical map and
a diagrammatic map at stations. If you are familiar with the
diagrammatical map it can be really quite surprising to see how close
some stations are, how far apart others are and how they're really
geographically related.

Old October 13th 03, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Robin May wrote in message I do think it would be a good idea to have both a geographical map and
a diagrammatic map at stations. If you are familiar with the
diagrammatical map it can be really quite surprising to see how close
some stations are, how far apart others are and how they're really
geographically related.

Indeed!
I remember a few years ago (before I knew any better) getting off a
train at Monument to change for the Central Line....

Kat posting from Downtown Toronto and trying to remember to look

right when leaving a streetcar!
Old October 19th 03, 06:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:25:10 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Alan O'Brien wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Alan O'Brien wrote:

If there are any more criticisms then the map is simply going to be
thrown into the dustbin.
OK?

You'd better tell that to the bloke that asked for a circular Circle
line, then.

Fair enough.
Actually, now I think about it, a rectangular Circle Line would be
easier. Alan

The Beck diagram had a rectangular Circle Line from 1954 to 1959.

Hey, Sam, how about changing the animation so it morphs from each
version of the map to the next?? Now that *would* be good! ;-)

Charlie

--
Remove NO-SPOO-PLEASE from my email address to reply
Please send no unsolicited email or foodstuffs
Old November 17th 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Thanks in part to the support of users of Google groups like this one,
the Real Underground flash animation is now accessible through the
tube's website:

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/tubemap/default.asp

It's also been one of the most blogged sites of recent months, has
cropped up on undergraduate reading lists, design sites, and even been
published in a few academic journals!

So, if you've seen the site already, or emailed me asking about it,
thanks for your support. Hopefully the site will be up at the address
above for the forseeable future.

I'm currently looking at the possibilities of further development,
including putting in all the stations, and morphing through a series
of historical maps. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

In case you've not seen it before, it's an animation showing the
relationship between the tube map and the geographical reality. If
you're interested in design history, you can also see how it relates
to Beck's first classic schematic subway map of 1933.

Sam Rich
http://www.fourthway.co.uk

CMOT TMPV wrote in message et...

wrote:

Alan O'Brien wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message
Alan O'Brien wrote:

If there are any more criticisms then the map is simply going to be
thrown into the dustbin.
OK?

You'd better tell that to the bloke that asked for a circular Circle
line, then.

Fair enough.
Actually, now I think about it, a rectangular Circle Line would be
easier. Alan

The Beck diagram had a rectangular Circle Line from 1954 to 1959.

Hey, Sam, how about changing the animation so it morphs from each
version of the map to the next?? Now that *would* be good! ;-)

I notice this same morphing map is posted on the tube's map page. It's been
there for quite some time and I've seen it before.

-- E