Old November 15th 03, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The UK march agaimst Bush

Well, I ask you.
People are allowed to demonstrate aren't they?
They may be a bunch of wishy-washy liberals and twits, but they still have
democratic rights.
As it happens I'm going to be in the West End on Wednesday and I'll do my
best to ignore them.
What ticks me off is those CIA goons demanding streets to be closed off
around Grosvenor Square.
How am I supposed to get to my tailor's dammit?

"rob" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
Plonker.

Pity your contribution is limited to "plonker" and "are you a bloody

Yank"!

Old November 15th 03, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:32:38 -0000, "rob" wrote:

[Outlook mis-formatting corrected]

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
On 13 Nov 2003 11:45:21 -0800, (Privacy Trap)
wrote:

Perhaps some of the long suffering commuters, earners and
vistors to the capital should also bill the organisers,
who from what I have heard seem to be unwilling to consider
that others have a right to earn a living or enjoy london
in 'peace'.

I commute to Waterloo to work every day. On Thursday, however, I
shall commute to the starting point of the demo instead. I live and
work and pay my taxes in London, so I'll be dammed if someone tells me
I shouldn't attend a demo in my own city.

I too live, work and pay my taxes in London. I'll be equally damned if
people like you through your demonstrations try to stop me going about my
normal business because of your assumptions and opinions about Bush. As much
as you may support the feelings against him please recognise that there are
many in this country who have the opposite opinion.

Oh, please! Plenty of things affect us going about our "normal
business." You're just whinging about this particular one because it
inflames your political sensibilities.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old November 15th 03, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The demonstrators on the other hand aren't invited guests. They
actually live their lives here, work and earn their living here and
should have a right to express their opinion about a guest they didn't
invite and certainly don't agree with coming here.

Well that opinion ought (a) to be expressed in a way that does not cause
massive inconvenience to others and (b) not to the guest but to those who
invited him.

Old November 15th 03, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

And which group of disrupters are you going to take on next? Football
clubs? Pop groups? The Lord Mayor of London? The Stop Bush march, like
sporting, entertainment and pageantry events, are legal and we just have
to put up with the inconvenience that they cause.

Matthew

Living close to Stamford Bridge, I am seriously contemplating the first group
you mention - I cannot leave my home whenever Chelsea play "at home" and if I
am foolish enough to try to drive home before the match has finished, I can
expect to sit in my car for anything up to 2 hours waiting for a car space to
become available. It often takes 2 hours for dispersal even after the match
has finished: all streets between Fulham Road and Wandsworth and Putney Bridges
are in complete gridlock.

Pop groups and the Lord Mayor of London (if you mean Ken, he is not a "Lord"
Mayor) cause me no inconvenience and other events, like Jubilee or Remembrance
parades are usually at week-ends or public holidays, so cause no disruption to
my work.

Marc.

Old November 15th 03, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Plonker.

"Mait001" wrote in message
"Pleadings"?
Are you a bloody yank?

No, "pleadings" is the word used by ENGLISH lawyers to describe documents

used
to commence and continue proceedings in the civil Courts in England and

Wales.
The term covers a multiplicity of documents including Particulars of

Claim,
Defence, Counterclaim, Part 23 Claims and many others.

So glad to light your way out of ignorance.

Marc.

Why am I a plonker - for offering free legal help or for answering someone's
question, or both?

Marc.
Old November 15th 03, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nick" wrote in message
Plonker.

Pity your contribution is limited to "plonker" and "are you a bloody Yank"!

No, maybe we should be grateful for small mercies: had he said more, he may
have accidentally shown his ignorance and embarrassed himself!

Marc.
Old November 15th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Oh, please! Plenty of things affect us going about our "normal
business." You're just whinging about this particular one because it
inflames your political sensibilities.
--
Nick Cooper

Well, Nick, at least you can't accuse me of that: I have written, several
times, that I do not believe in traffic-disrupting demonstrations whatever the
cause.

Marc.
Old November 15th 03, 10:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Well that opinion ought (a) to be expressed in a way that does not
cause massive inconvenience to others and (b) not to the guest but
to those who invited him.

For (a), what way is this that you're suggesting? How should they
express their opinion?

For (b), what nonsense. They disagree with Bush and yet you're
suggesting they shouldn't attempt to express their opinion to Bush but
instead to Blair. I suppose next time I disagree with you I should
express this disagreement to the manufacturer of your computer.

(a) Hire the Albert Hall or some other venue and shou, rant, community singing,
burn effigies or whatever, but don't do it so that Central London is put into
gridlock.

(b) Whether you like it or not, Bush is a GUEST in this Country at the
invitation of Blair. Call me old-fashioned, but it just rankles with me that
someone invited to this Country should not be the subject of the sort of
attacks that seem to be being prepared for Bush.

I don't particularly like the huge number of asylum seekers who are in this
Country, but they are here whether I like it or not, and for me to be beastly
towards them whenever I see them would serve no purpose whatsoever. If I were
to take issue with anyone it would be with either the governments of the
countries from which they came or our Government for allowing them to stay.

Marc.

Old November 15th 03, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Mait001) wrote the following in:

Well that opinion ought (a) to be expressed in a way that does
not cause massive inconvenience to others and (b) not to the
guest but to those who invited him.

For (a), what way is this that you're suggesting? How should they
express their opinion?

For (b), what nonsense. They disagree with Bush and yet you're
suggesting they shouldn't attempt to express their opinion to Bush
but instead to Blair. I suppose next time I disagree with you I
should express this disagreement to the manufacturer of your
computer.

(a) Hire the Albert Hall or some other venue and shou, rant,
community singing, burn effigies or whatever, but don't do it so
that Central London is put into gridlock.

And this is going to get the attention of anyone?

(b) Whether you like it or not, Bush is a GUEST in this Country at
the invitation of Blair. Call me old-fashioned, but it just
rankles with me that someone invited to this Country should not be
the subject of the sort of attacks that seem to be being prepared
for Bush.

The demonstrators clearly didn't invite him here and didn't want him
here, so why they should care that Bush is a "GUEST" (any different
from "guest"?) is beyond me. If I invite Pinochet round to my house
does that mean that people who so desire should protest to me about him
getting away with murder? Or should they do the sensible thing and
protest about him?

I don't particularly like the huge number of asylum seekers who
are in this
Country, but they are here whether I like it or not, and for me to
be beastly towards them whenever I see them would serve no purpose
whatsoever.

But some random asylum seeker is a person who hasn't done anything to
offend you beyond existing. It's not analogous to the mere presence of
asylum seekers, because it's not the presence of Bush that they're
protesting about. It's the things that Bush has done and may yet do.
It'd be like expressing your disagreement and dislike of an asylum
seeker who regularly kicked dogs if you were opposed to the kicking of
dogs.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!